Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Gasser radius for a custom 56

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Omarsvette, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

Custom or Kustom should mean just that, do it the way YOU like it and run with it.
    you can never please everyone so please yourself.
    I don't let others pick out my underwear or women either. My .02 cents

2. Omarsvette

Omarsvette
    from Arizona

Did the fender much up to the bottom edges ok? Did you have too cut the bottom fender much? It looks like it blended well before bodywork/paint.

3. I was going to suggest Nomad openings. You can buy them cheap enough (cheap being a relative term here). You used to see them done that way when I was a lot younger then I am now. For a custom you cannot beat it, just way more refined than what you would normally see on a gasser.

Stogy likes this.
  4. You used to be able to buy reproductions of the '55 Nomad wheel opening only (not a full quarter), I think Danchuk used to sell them. I distinctly remember one of the car mags buying a pair for a gasser project, wanting a more 'finished' looking opening, and they weren't all that expensive. But after an internet search they've seemed to have disappeared, probably victims of greed and/or corporate licensing agreements.

There's always the 'old way'; some 1/2" EMT tubing bent to shape and some welding... ;)

Stogy likes this.
  5. The 1/2" EMT and a gas welder is my way of doing it. But I have always been a little bit on the back yard side of life. :D

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
    Stogy likes this.
  6. Omarsvette

Omarsvette
    from Arizona

Yeah I’m looking now online but I’m seeing full quarter for over a grand each......

I really like the nomad better, but I can’t justify 2k

7. Omarsvette

Omarsvette
    from Arizona

I just found this, it’s only the lower. A grand for both seems better. A salvage yard is selling me both quarters for a 56 for 800.

31hotrodguy likes this.
  8. Omarsvette

Omarsvette
    from Arizona

9. Omarsvette

Omarsvette
    from Arizona

I’m glad I found it. Still expensive but vey kustom which i like and finish better. Gasser opening is 250 lol, for both sides

10. [​IMG]

Not Nomad but you can get these for about 150.00 (a pair)

31hotrodguy and Stogy like this.
  11. Beaner, those are what started this whole conversation....

12. LOL

I don't doubt that this has already been mentioned but we used to cut the fender openings from front fenders and use them.

13. Omarsvette

Omarsvette
    from Arizona

Haha it’s ok porknbeaner. 150 for gasser opening or 1200 (not including shipping) for lower nomad opening or 800 for both original 56 lower opening at salvage yard.

14. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

$800.00 for used lowers!!!!!!. I'm getting out of this came.

Omarsvette likes this.
  15. And hopefully those won't need a bunch of rust repair... :eek:

Omarsvette likes this.
  16. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Who is selling those?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

The rare 53 Buick Skylark is another example of a factory custom radius job. Larry

swade41 and Omarsvette like this.
  18. 'Mo

'Mo

Just MO, but no way would I go "round" on a custom of such a boxy car.
    Also (on a custom), there is no way I would go to the trouble and expense, just to end up stock.

Open it up with some front wheel openings, or close it up and name your poison. (Infinite options.)
    It just might become the defining element that no one can put their finger on! ;)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  19. Omarsvette

Omarsvette
    from Arizona

That’s exactly how I feel. And to just ended up stock.

20. Omarsvette

Omarsvette
    from Arizona

They’re on a car I have to cut out. No repair whatsoever.

21. Omarsvette

Omarsvette
    from Arizona

Round opening are everywhere, slammed and whitewalls 284FA197-EB98-4357-A318-51DA8850EF74.png 769478D8-4FF9-459B-94F3-4D2CDD2D2A4E.png B32DE3E3-FCC4-4FEC-B778-860AE8B76D5B.png 6A15282E-51AC-4C5E-8E5B-624873D4637B.png

22. Omarsvette

Omarsvette
    from Arizona

I hear you loud and clear. But those early Buick’s (boxy) look really nice (round opening). And there maybe other examples.

But I may end up going with the nomad lowers that are 500 a piece. It matches the front, don’t have to cut,weld,bondo and looks very custom with straight trim going across the the car.

Maybe The Volvo opening could be an option? My problem is that it’s not a piece that’s nostalgic. I know I’m being too strict but I even want my sbc to have the long breather tube lol

Stogy likes this.
  23. Omarsvette

Omarsvette
    from Arizona

Cutting up two 55 fenders to make one is something I’m pondering but I would have to buy em cheap to out way the cost of the nomad lowers. I think most people are going to be around 200-250 per fender that’s 500 for one fender plus the work of blending the two. Nomad lower were 577 plus shipping.

24. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

I think the Nomads would work best $$ wise , but being a hard core custom metal guy I kind of like the idea of radiusing both front and rear to match just to be different! Think of the Starbird, Titus, and Chushenberry stuff from Kansas in the 60's.

Omarsvette likes this.
  25. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I’d think with bead roller a shrinker stretcher and some elbow grease you could build an opening for quite a bit less than $800.

26. I’d bet a simple hammer form would get the bigger part of that job done quite nicely as well -for a guy who didn’t have access to that equipment.

Tim likes this.
  27. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

You could make skirts that fit the openings you have now but the difference between looking nice or crappy might be a small margin. At least you could get the wheels off easily. And you could switch back and forth between the 'show off the wheel' look you mentioned or not. I actually like the look of those '50s Buicks, but they do have the side moldings to accent the radius wells.

upload_2019-4-21_6-42-40.jpeg

31hotrodguy likes this.
  28. BJR

BJR

54 -56 Buick's in the 2dr models had radised rear wheel wells. 54 Buick vert.jpg

swade41 and John Lee Williamson like this.
  29. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It doesn't hurt as much if you say, " ONLY $567.65 each " instead of $1135.30. My question would be, is it going to go faster with new wheel well openings?;)

30. Looks great!!!

Slamming it thru the suspension could not retain any concentricity. Extending the rockers lower a bit could give the appearance of being lower without messing up the lines