Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Trying to get re-inspired

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scotty t, Apr 19, 2019.

1. 98359310-9B70-4599-A5C9-654877DC3491.jpeg image.jpg lately I’ve been confined to the steel mill way to much and when not there home projects and family visits. Tonight I thought I would grab a few cold adult beverages and try to get some of my inspiration back. It seems to be working! Too bad I can’t act on it quite yet. That is all.

Attached Files:

enloe, Just Gary, rsss396 and 2 others like this.
  2. If the cars drive. Take them for a drive or start them up. Or just sit in the drivers seat a make noises. “Veroom, veroom” for some inspiration. Nice cars.

enloe and Hnstray like this.
  3. It’s more complicated than that! The car on the lift is the only one that has seats and runs, AND my shop is in my back yard and one of the house projects eliminated the gate to drive out and the new one isn’t installed yet. I could sit on the 56 seats and bang some gears tho. It’s all good, I’m enjoying just being in the shop with the the oldies. image.jpg

enloe, Just Gary and chryslerfan55 like this.
  4. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Dang! You seem to have a well equipped shop; more than most of us anyway. That Vette, I'd be all over it, cleaning and polishing, and detailing everything within reach, and I'm a big 56 Chevrolet fan, so I'd have to atep right over that Bel Air Sedan to get to the Vette. My wife ALWAYS knows where I am; in the garage. I've never had a Vette, other than my go to college car, an 82 CheVette Scooter I bought new just for that purpose (not a good car for Texas as it did't have A/C). MY biggest issue is dealing with our weather; too cold and my back kills me (hardware and donor bone for the fusion and cold weather gets attracted to it like a magnet to the cold), and too hot, I just can't work in my garage. I've got to get heat and A/C out there! What's your ceiling height with the 4 post hoist? I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

chryslerfan55 likes this.

5. 17DA53D6-24CD-466A-A871-02167D6BABCA.jpeg 48F872A0-CEB9-41D9-BBCF-FB03C1AEB358.jpeg I must admit I did make some vroom sounds when I checked out the power plant for the 56 and also the mill for my ole plym

6. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Ceiling height for the 4 post, Scotty? Good question. (I have 12 feet up, wonderful wife has (my) heart set on a 2 post West Coast style. (under $2k, new/delivered. German. Best)

enloe likes this.
  7. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

Wow, nice cars and garage. I hope you’re getting your inspiration back. You are doing loads for mine and I have not popped the cap of my Bud.,yet.(gettin ‘ there about now)

8. My Dad bought the vette in 1962 for $1995 by the way, I’ve got the receipt! He gave it to me right before he passed, 1 year ago today. I’ve had it for about a year and a half. You wouldn’t like it here tonight, it’s about 42* and I just turned on the heater. The ceiling is 12’ in the center and slopes down on the sides to about 10’. By the way I have wanted a tri-five sedan delivery for years

enloe and chryslerfan55 like this.
  9. F&J

F&J

just get poor enough to not be able to afford a daily driver...
    DSCN2466.JPG
    YES, I did look at weather radar before I went to run errands late today..it showed no rain nearby. Oh well, I have not washed it in months. Yes, vacuum wipers... ssshushh.. klack,,, I thought of Janis Joplin singing "windshield wipers slappin' time..."

hfh, enloe, kadillackid and 8 others like this.
  10. 12’ in the middle 10’ on the sides. In my small shop I chose a four post so that I could move it around, it even fits under my 8’ garage door.

enloe and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. I’ve said it before and I’ll keep saying it, I like your style!

enloe, chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  12. I’m not using tools or driving so I’ve had 4 working on 5 now!

B Bay Barn and enloe like this.
  13. F930512D-68CE-466C-885D-C80609679AE6.jpeg My best girl decided to join me!

enloe, Just Gary, catdad49 and 3 others like this.
  14. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Your best girl is a real dog!

enloe, BJR, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  15. She sure us! She wakes up with her tail wagging, she is always happy and playful even in her old age.

16. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I know a guy that had a 56 that looked liked that same colors. He had it for years and tore it apart but never did anything with it. Last I talked to him he sold it tore apart.
    He had a strong sb in it, when he got it he had it painted there wasn't any rust on the car.

17. Sounds about like mine, the dyno said about 430 or so HP, no rust still torn apart, dammit!

enloe, OLSKOOL57 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  18. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Now I see it; the 4 post lift is't bolted to the floor. There's a local company selling all kinds of new lifts, on credit for fairly cheap installments; I've thought about buying one, having it installed outside in front of one of the 2 car bays of the garage/shop rather than inside, but I do have about the same clearance as you have inside. Maybe I'll get out the tape measure tomorrow, and have a closer look. It would sure free up some room to have a car up out of the way. Don't take this the "wrong" way, but could you possibly be depressed? Loosing a parent, inheriting a big part of their life, and not feeling like doing any work on your important projects for some time, could trigger almost anything emotionally. If it were't for my spending 32 years in healthcare (X-Ray/CAT Scan Tech), I would't even ask such a question, but it's a possibility, and nothing to be ashamed of or anything. Even I've had my PCP ask the same question of me. Good luck getting back to your old self; get out there and get caught up. Everything looks top notch to me.
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

OLSKOOL57 and scotty t like this.
  19. catdad49

catdad49

Scotty, looks like you're off to a good start. Just being out there with your best girl should help you get your "groove" back. Try to make time for this on a regular/daily basis and, if you like, post some pics of your progress. The guys on here Love garage shots and you could post over on the Garage Journal, too. All the Best, Carp.

OLSKOOL57 and scotty t like this.
  20. I really appreciate your thoughts on the matter, but in general I’m doing just fine. The old cars just aren’t as big a part of my life as they used to be. I’m heavily invested in cars/parts/tools so I need to stay interested. My work schedule doesn’t allow me very many opportunities to sip beers, and the weather was too crappy to work on the house so I thought I would head to the shop. Earlier in the day my brother reminded me about my Dad , I wasn’t dwelling on it. As far as your idea for an outside lift, keep the cables oiled and clean and the motor pump assembly protected from the elements and it should be fine. I can’t imagine not having a lift after having this one!

enloe and catdad49 like this.
  21. Thanks but lately I haven’t had time to spend out in the shop, that’s why I was out there trying to get groove back.

enloe likes this.
  22. BJR

BJR

She looks like a bitch to me.:D

enloe and scotty t like this.
  23. That bitch is a great mutt.

enloe likes this.
  24. catdad49

catdad49

Worked a lot of hours for many years. While there I'd be thinking about all the things I wanted to do when I got home. Most days, I would eat supper, relax a little and fall asleep in my chair, so I can definitely relate.

enloe, Just Gary and scotty t like this.
  25. If my schedule stays this way I’m looking at retirement at 30 years( 5 more) I’ll be a little young, but I’m quite sure I’ll be ok.

enloe, TrailerTrashToo and catdad49 like this.
  26. catdad49

catdad49

Sounds like a Great plan!

scotty t likes this.
  27. I see we do/did similar work, I'm a Maintenance millwright. "We can't fix stupid but we can fix what stupid does!"

enloe and catdad49 like this.
  28. belair

belair

Wow. You have a lot to motorvate you!

29. catdad49

catdad49

The job I referred to above was a cast iron foundry in UPstate N.Y., went from utility man to leadman of the Melt Dept. before we relocated to Tenn. and now, Va. My Dad worked at Scott Paper Co. and one of his friends was a millwright, that guy could build anything!

30. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I know the feeling. I'm in the truck 5.5 days a week anymore, home about 1 hour a day and right back at it. Takes until about lunch time on Sat to get to feeling like doing anything, and it's been home owner stuff here lately. I haven't had 30 minutes free to even start anything on my stuff in a while. But, next month a payment drops off, so with a little luck, I can start taking a Friday off here and there. I'm itching to get some stuff done, and that payment has had my fun money cut out for the most part.

Love your Vette, always wanted one like that. I'd be itching to hit the road if it were mine too!

chryslerfan55 and enloe like this.