Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My Spurgin/Giovanine inspired 1925 Chev roadster build thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jimmy B, May 2, 2010.

1. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congrats @Jimmy B...big milestone...;)

2. Rizhto

Rizhto

3. oldbanger71

oldbanger71

grate job you did

4. hotrod_tommy

hotrod_tommy

This is Giovanine Bonneville car in 1998... '25 Chevy 4-cyl, I think.

Bv98neg-0022.jpg Bville98005 - Copy.jpg SpdWk98-0003.jpg

Stogy and Six Ball like this.
  5. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

That is a Ford body. The engine has a 3 port Olds head. Maybe Chevy maybe not. My friend has a T with a '28 Chevy head on it. I don't know this history well enough to recognize the guys. But Jimmy will know all.

6. Jiminy

Jiminy

According to http://www.tamsoldracecarsite.net/SpurginGiovanine1.html
    "The motor was a 1925 Chevy engine with an Olds 3 port cylinder head, Winfield cam, Ford model C crankshaft “de-stroked” to lower the displacement to 182.9 ‘cubic inches’ (to qualify in the under 183 ‘cubic inches’ class limit), and two carburetors which had special Winfield float bowls and Duke Hallock throttle-bodies and venturis."

7. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

That's the original S/G roadster. It is a '25 Chevy. The car above it w '26-'27 Ford. It mat be connected in some way because the engine looks like the S/G engine and it says Giovanine on the valve cover. It seems that they may have built a car to put one of the old engines in but I can't remember. It's funny that when the original car was on the SCTA logo for years it was even drawn to look like a T.

8. KKrod

KKrod

Studied pics and they appear to all be the same car??

9. Thank You!!

Glad ya like it, Cheers!

Thank you!!

I think that is probably the best praise I could get thank you!

Glad this thread has been of assistance now get on to your Chev build :D I will post pics as I go. I am collecting a few more parts and my next roadster will be starting.

Huge milestone, really happy

Cheers!

Thank you!

That is the 557 Giovanine roadster that Curt and Bob raced in to 90s, Curt still has it
    This was from the Ventura motorsport gathering in 2009
    IMG_0903.JPG IMG_0908.JPG

90s build, engine is still a '25 chev 4 it uses a 5 main crank custom machined aluminium head Curt milled, engine puts out near double the '48 engine HP. body & chassis is a Speedway T

That is what the original was

see reply photos above.

Which two, 557 & 15?

Stogy likes this.
  10. Jimmy, is the head that Curt milled a 4 port? Think I remember seeing pics of it some years back in a different thread

Enjoy the ride, man- everything on my end has taken a big step back to put our house on the market, but one of the reasons we're selling is to find a couple acres, so I can build a shop (Mrs. Yankee is one awesome lady) :D!!!

Bigcheese327 likes this.
  11. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Jimmy, thanks for clearing that all up. I knew my lack of progress would come up. :oops:
    I have been getting in some shop time but not much on the car. It's leading to the car mostly getting the mill and lathe tuned up. I hope you are driving the hell out of yours. You've earned it.
    A cheer for Mac,s Mate! Mac, I hope you have the luck we had. We just sold a house in 2 days for more than we were asking. :)

12. No such luck yet- still have some painting and clearing to do (need to box my garage and basement up so at least it LOOKS like we're ready to move :p)

And yes, Mrs. Yankee is fantastic :D

13. Michael Ottavi

Michael Ottavi

Well done Jimmy! Being a geezer now and being dragged into the modern world, I take my hat off and salute the HAMB for connecting us all together and sharing all this!

Stogy and Six Ball like this.
  14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Jimmy B how's life outside the Garage...been doing some Crusin'?

15. I'm actually itching to get onto the next build. I have been doing a scavenger hunt for the parts and buying others. with the roadster I have had cooling issues I went to the radiator shop and have ordered a new radiator, I should have it the next couple weeks.

Stogy likes this.
  16. Soooooo, what IS the next build?

17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Typical of initial drives in new builds is ironing the bugs out...that's not too bad...hopefully it not a major teardown to get it out. 2 weeks doesn't knock you out of commission for too long.

Don't forget to share some of the adventures on the road around some of your down under scenery...once your back on the road...

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  18. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Jimmy is going to build two Chevy roadsters before I get one done. :eek:

Bigcheese327 and Stogy like this.
  19. I was going to do a '25 T or A roadster but I will get back to this, I now have a nice original cowl and I will need to fabricate new doors and another set of quarters. I will start a new thread when work begins
    SANY0381.jpg

Yeah, not wrong I have been going thru checking bolts, I found 2 exhaust bolts fell out the flanges so have replaced them and re-tightened all the other exhaust bolts, I need to back off the rear right brake. I could have the new radiator next week.

:D:D:D

HEMI32, Shadow Creek and Stogy like this.
  20. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Just re-read this thread @Jimmy B

Thanks for taking us along with you on your journey in building this tribute.

so glad to see it "done"

Jimmy B likes this.
  21. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

MY OTHER ORIGINAL SPURGIN/GIOVANINE INSPIRED 1925 CHEV ROADSTER BUILD THREAD II, THE ONE I STARTED TO BUILD BEFORE I REALIZED THAT I WANTED ONE TO ACTUALLY DRIVE. :rolleyes::)

Empire32, Jimmy B and tomkelly88 like this.
  22. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So hows the dialing in going over yonder @Jimmy B? All performing well as expected?...Got any fancy shots yet out and about?...Hope all is well.

Jimmy B likes this.
  23. @Stogy Yeah things have been up and down with it. I had to have a new radiator made. Went to a car show brakes locked on and overheated going in the gate, brake rod was too long and kept pressure on, applying the brakes, limped home afterwards. Fixed all those issues. Decided to louver the hood sides and put a thermo fan in front of the radiator. I replaced the temp gauge and sender and reads good now. Also had issues with timing, did static timing yesterday car runs great now. The weather has been fickle, one minute the Sun is out next it is pissing down. Got the car out last Monday for my brothers 40th, after we had family lunch at the pub I drove him home.

Other than that not much.

IMG_2140.JPG IMG_2157.JPG IMG_2166.JPG IMG_2167.JPG fullsizeoutput_1765.jpeg IMG_2353.JPG IMG_2357.JPG IMG_2363.JPG WP_20190408_14_11_43_Pro.jpg WP_20190408_14_12_37_Pro.jpg

Dannerr, flyin-t, hfh and 8 others like this.
  24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:... @Jimmy B Hotrod looks fantastic...glad you got those few details ironed out without major problems just subtle annoyances. thanks keep on sharing that excitement...;)

The Louver press is brilliant...

25. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Lucy! You have 'esplain the louver press!

AmishMike and Stogy like this.
  26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just curious Jimmy the aluminum stop on the female die I'm assuming is higher than the panel. Did you trim it as it would limit throat depth?...I could be not getting it perhaps.

Update to myself...:confused:...:D...The slot you cut into the panel fits over the upright on the Female Die...Dohhh...:eek:

Homemade Hardtop (Jerry) has a metal Higher Crowned Louver Tool along the same lines...Again Very Clever...​

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  27. Not much enjoyment at the moment with the weather. I have been organising things for my next '25 build and find myself staring at the roadster :D

Cut the slots, clean burs, insert locator, place die in position whack with mallet a couple times, repeat.

See reply to quote above, I have seen a few different ways of doing louvers by hand but the locator idea I got from HRD article.

A Boner, Shadow Creek and Stogy like this.
  28. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Now that's old school . . . what was the old tag . . . Ol' Skool Rodder? :cool:

A Boner and loudbang like this.
  29. Thanks & nah don't read/buy ol skool rag. Mag was "Hot Rod Deluxe" January 2019.

loudbang and Six Ball like this.
  30. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Jimmy B hows this One Portion of your Pride & Joy performing since your last Tweaks performed? Hope You have been having some well earned Road Time...Depending on Country you could darn near legally wind it right out for Speed..You Fellas have any of that AutoBahn stuff going on there?

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019