Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects First time builder

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jeremy Dobson, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Jeremy Dobson

Jeremy Dobson

Thanks for all the advise.

2. Nova Thug

Nova Thug
    from SG Vizzle

Thanks for opening this topic up for discussion.

3. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm glad you got it worked out. Gimpy has been great with the free advice for the uninformed or misinformed.

The short version is not to spend a dime on an old car/truck without first getting the title in some fashion and, as you found out, don't take it apart until you have that title.

Jeremy Dobson and gimpyshotrods like this.
  4. Jeremy Dobson

Jeremy Dobson

I defiantly have learned a few lessons! I got excited to start my new project and got a little ahead of myself. I went to DMV for a different reason yesterday and while there I inquired about the 46’ and what I needed to do. I was given a couple forms and told I need a Vin verification, bill of sale “which I have”, and a weight certificate. Which means I now have to piece the truck back together and get it weighed.
    Luckily I took the bed, cab and front clip off in big pieces so it only took me about two hours to put everything back on. Good news is since I will already have it on the trailer I will take it to CHP to get the verification. DMV is right next door so hopefully on Thursday I will at least have things moving on the right direction.

5. evintho

evintho

Keep us informed of your progress.

Jeremy Dobson likes this.
  6. David Chandler

David Chandler

Move to New Hampshire! Anything over 10 years old they don't bother with titles.

triumph 1 and Jeremy Dobson like this.
  7. Jeremy Dobson

Jeremy Dobson

Got the truck weighed, and then verified by CHP today. My truck has matching Vin numbers on the door sill and frame so it was pretty easy with CHP even though he made it seem like I was putting him out by asking him to do his job. What a D bag, but I played nice. Stopped by DMV and got all the paperwork turned in and the truck is now in my name and sitting on non op until I get it rebuilt the way I want it. For anyone going through to the same thing in California the following is what I had to give to DMV for a truck with no title and only a bill of sale.
    -Statement of facts form Reg 256
    -Bill of sale
    -Application for title form Reg 343
    -Certified weight certificate
    -Vin verification
    - And $121 in fees
    Now on to tearing it down for the second time, prepping my donor frame and buying a 71’ 440 motor I found today. Thanks again everyone for all the advice. I’m sure I’ll be asking more questions in the near future.

Cliff Ramsdell and gimpyshotrods like this.
  8. patsurf

patsurf

who would have thought that doing it by the book would actually work!!....i guess i've just never tried ....

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It works, and it is not that hard!

10. Jeremy Dobson

Jeremy Dobson

Your right, it really wasn’t that difficult. Just a bunch of hoops to jump through.

11. Does that 3 year process work if you dont'the have paperwork on any of the Parts?
    My hobby has been doodlebugs, homemade tractors from 20's and 30's.
    I'm building a roadster, model t frame (no numbers), bucket from a 23 overland, cowl of 34 chevy, in line 8 engine...

All of this stuff collected over the years, farm stuff, no paperwork needed.

In Washington.

Any Thoughts?

Thanks.

12. clem

clem

Interesting read. Sounds like you almost have to be a lawyer to buy a car over there.
    Here we just register them, and technically any one can change that.
    Just curious though, - why does the truck have to be weighed ? Is that for trucks, commercial vehicles only, or all cars ? Thanks.

13. gene-koning

gene-koning

Jeremy, If you need any assistance on that Dakota swap, PM me here. I've done a few, just finishing up a 39 Dodge on a Dakota frame. That subject is off topic for the HAMB, and any posting covering it would be taken down. Gene

14. Jeremy Dobson

Jeremy Dobson

Having to weigh it is due to it being a “commercial vehicle”. All pickups are considered commercial and the DMV charges per the weight. The heavier the truck the more they charge. The justification they use is that if you have a truck you are hauling more weight around and doing more damage to the roadways. Another way for them to charge us more for registering our vehicles.

clem likes this.
  15. Jeremy Dobson

Jeremy Dobson

Thank you, I’ll let you know if I have any Questions.

16. indyjps

indyjps

Glad to hear that worked out. I was gonna suggest stripping the truck down to nothing, store the parts elsewhere, then apply for title. If it gets confiscated you still have most of a truck.

Seen a few situations where the vehicle gets hauled off.

17. clem

clem

.....and still no title ?

18. clem

clem

Thanks for explaining.
    We have similar to that here also, although when it comes to trucks, we pay - ‘road user charges’, based on weight and km traveled.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  19. Sandgroper

Sandgroper

Sounds pretty complicated over there. If we are doing a stock rebuild of an old car in Western Australia a receipt or statutory declaration to prove where it came from, vin check to make sure it's not stolen or financed then when ready and roadworthy it goes for inspection and licencing. Gets a bit more complicated when modifying as got to have engineer sign off on everything and build by the rule book.

20. indyjps

indyjps

Agree no title, no vehicle. But if the vehicle you purchased gets impounded for past unscrupulous activity, you still keep a large amount of the vehicle in parts to recover your cost. So youre only half screwed.

21. Cantankerous62

Cantankerous62

Just a quick question, hopefully one of you guys could answer. In which order did you have to complete these steps, Jeremy? I’m asking because I may have to do the same thing in the near future. Thanks for any response!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. Jeremy Dobson

Jeremy Dobson

I weighed it at my local landfill and then took the truck to CHP. With the weight slip, vin verification and bill of sale in hand I went to DMV and filled out the required forms. Not hard just allot of paperwork.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  23. Cantankerous62

Cantankerous62

Paperwork doesn’t scare me, doing things the wrong way does. Thank you for taking the time to respond!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

gimpyshotrods likes this.