Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Move stock '32 crossmember

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by seabeecmc, Apr 17, 2019.

1. seabeecmc

seabeecmc
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know that it's occasionally done.
    I want to move my stock '32 Ford rear crossmember rearward 3/4". Any assistance in regard to this procedure would be appreciated. Ron

2. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

What is it you are trying to gain ? Rear axle clearance ?
    At some point it will start crowding the gas tank .

3. seabeecmc

seabeecmc
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Copied from Edward Lloyd's Rod shop web page:

Standard 1932 Ford frame fitted with Shadow Rods Model-A front crossmember to lower car 1" - €4950
    Moving rear crossmember rearward to center wheels in the wheel arches - €Free
    Original Model-A front crossmember modified to fit 1932 frame €350 extra

Ed's in Germany. Although I enjoy it there I don't plan to send Ed my frame. Ron

4. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

I've built a lot of '32's.
    Never moved the rear crossmember, always had the rear wheels centered in the fender . . . .

5. Why do you need to move the rear end? Are you trying to allow for the spring hangers on a different rear end? What is the whole story, there may be options?

Charlie Stephens

6. Pop the rivets out and move it.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
  7. seabeecmc

seabeecmc
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't understand why I have to explain myself. My only request is, if you're familiar with this modification I'd appreciate your input. If you just want to increase your post count, have at it. Ron de4.jpg

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  8. modelAsteve

modelAsteve

Who moved it 3/4 inch forward and why?

9. You don't have to explain yourself. I asked because something is not right and knowing what it is might result in better or alternate suggestions. I like the coupe.

Charlie Stephens

10. There’s a multitude of reasons why it could be off. If you want to move the Crossmember simply remove the rivets and move it.

Gaining access to the rivets might require removing the body from the frame., once you move the cross member back you may probably have other stuff to modify as well, such as, drive shaft, bones or bars, brake lines & 1 change always leads to 2 more.

It’s a 32 ford and a bazillion of them go together without the issues you’re seeing if the right combination of parts are used. I can 100% guarantee you the axle being forward is a SYMPTOM of the real problem.

11. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Do you have a stock '32 rear spring and a '35 to '48 rear end? If so, that is probably your issue. The longer hangers would move the axle forward slightly.

12. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

Yup.... you were a Master chief alright..... This ain't the Navy MC and we don't have to answer you either so stop barkin'. We are all just naturally curious as to why thats all.

13. rudestude

rudestude

November 21 , 2010
    Hot Rod Willy's
    Thread: 1932 Ford Rear Spring Question.
    He ask the same question about things back 3/4" and there are the answers from other poster's that agree with that and they give the reasons why...
    Go check it out ..might give you the info that your looking for ..if not ,don't blame me..oh ya that is on the HAMB.
    Your Welcome..or not ...depends on if it helped you or not..and I'm not in it for the points..
    Company "B" 15th Infantry Can Do
    Rudestude

Sent from my SM-T387V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. F&J

F&J

32's were too far forward when new, and lots of early car brands were, too.

It shows up more with lowered suspensions and the tire sizes used on hotrods. It is, or once was..common knowledge to want to move the axle towards the rear about 3/4".

I have no idea what is the easiest way to move a stock 32 rear end.

My old hotrod 32 frame was bare when I got it.

I moved my centerline back when I used 35/36 rear trailing arms with custom made mounting plates that get welded to the 55 Olds rear axle. The plates I made set the axle more rearward. I used a late 40s rear spring which is straight compared to the factory "bent" 32 spring (which I also never had).

My rear cross-member is still in the factory position.

seabeecmc likes this.
  15. alchemy

alchemy

Sounds pretty easy to do during chassis fab. As said above, knock out the rivets, move it back, and either weld it in or rivet it through new holes.

You might run into interference with the front flange of the gas tank, but you could grind it away and weld any spots where you cut through the fusion weld. Not hard for an experienced welder. Just remove all traces of fuel and fumes first.

If you are using a stock rearend, I'd recommend finding a 33-34 torquetube and driveshaft, then shorten to the new stretched length. Easier than lengthening the original.

16. Could you solve your problem by changing the offset of the rims to center the tire in the fender away from the edge? Maybe a slightly smaller tire (but I do like the way they look)? Are you running a stock rear end and K member?

Charlie Stephens

17. rudestude

rudestude

I actually moved my front axle forward just a touch, the tire and wheel fits in the fender contour better. for me anyways. I think I may have to move the rear axle back a touch to center the tire and wheel better and give it a bit more tire / fender clearance..oh ya I like the looks of your car also..hope you get it all worked out. 20190301_122150.jpeg 20190301_122136.jpeg 20190301_121909.jpeg 20190301_121529.jpeg

Sent from my SM-T387V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. seabeecmc

seabeecmc
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

32gas tank placement.jpg geo2.jpg 32body.jpg 32front1.jpg 32k.jpg 32leg.jpg 32leg2.jpg 32mount.jpg 32rearx1.jpg 32rearx2.jpg 32rearx3.jpg 32rearx4.jpg de5.jpg fh1.jpg fh2.jpg View attachment 4258413 View attachment 4258414 leg1.jpg leg3.jpg Well I'll guess that I have to explain myself. Mostly I'll do it with pictures as typing is a chore for me. The chassis is stock '32 Ford. The rear is 3/4" to far forward (in my opinion) therefor I chose to move the rear crossmember rearward.
    The frame taper this far back is minimal and looks doable with little interference.
    The previous owner added juice brakes rather crudely by torching the K member and left k member leg.
    A HAMB member fabricated an excellent replacement left k member leg as seen.
    A replacement front crossmember as seen will be installed.
    ElPolacko provided the clutch and brake unit to fit the repaired K member.
    Vern Tardel's flathead motor mounts will be used on the 8BA and '39 transmission I'm using.
    Picture added to show that rear crossmember movement will have no effect on fuel tank.
    As not much entertains me more than know everything HAMBSTERS blowing smoke up their own asses, if you must please continue. Ron

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  19. OLDTINPUSHER

OLDTINPUSHER

I know YOU will make that car sit pretty when it's finished. Oh, was I supposed to blow instead of kiss ?? o_O

20. 36-36 bones are there
    What rear spring?
    Was it curved or straight?
    Them shackles are way too long as well .

Pictures not words
    7F6C2A5E-E453-4589-B54F-3500230BF0BF.png E2BB5C3F-7800-4BD6-84C7-6254FE6E27E9.png 9D1C4ADE-CB90-4BB5-B084-DDA3FE97205E.jpeg

21. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

When you get it all buttoned back up, I think we all would like to see the results .

22. alchemy

alchemy

Here's a little more smoke, smartass. The pic you added of the gas tank is a 35-36. So go ahead and progress just like you think you know and don't listen to anything we tell you. It will all fall into place just like you tell us.

>>> Why in hell did you ask for advice in the first place?

23. seabeecmc

seabeecmc
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I guess you didn't read that picture was added to show that moving the rear crossmember back wouldn't affect fuel tank placement. Those shackles. Ron

24. seabeecmc

seabeecmc
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Damn Alchemy, I hold your opinion in the highest regard. I apologize if I have offended you or anyone. My question was simply if anyone had any input on moving a stock '32 Ford 3/4" to the rear I'd appreciate their assistance. It appears if you're not ready to accept the currently accepted HAMB approach you're wrong. I'll keep the forum apprised of my progress. Sorry for the incorrect picture I posted. Ron

25. [​IMG]

26. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

This photo shows the gas tank relationship to the crossmember on a '32.

32gas tank placement.jpg

seabeecmc likes this.
  27. seabeecmc

seabeecmc
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Pete swapped your correct picture for the incorrect one I posted. Ron

28. So is this your car or not
    Because if it were about 4-5” lower FIRST
    I’d bet it wouldn’t look 3/4” forward at all

69786FA0-5411-4D90-BA69-C51C0E93F8EA.jpeg

lurker mick likes this.
  29. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I concur!

30. seabeecmc

seabeecmc