Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods GM 64-5 electronic distributors

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 325w, Dec 30, 2018.

1. can these distributors be converted to common points distributor?

2. Budget36

Budget36

I didn't know GM had electronic distributors then, what's it out of? I'd like to see a pic if you don't mind.

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Like a K66? If so, why? Those go from $600-1800 to the Corvette guys!

If you just want the mechanical tach drive, you can get a repro for $200, or a used/partial points one for about the same, and come out way ahead.

4. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

5. squirrel

squirrel

you can connect the K66 distributor to an MSD box, and it should work fine...at least, it did for me.

But yeah, sell it and buy a couple dozen point distributors with the money.

6. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

The K66 optional ignition was available on the 66 Nova 327/350 hp engine.

8. It's in a GTO. It looks like a points distributor. Just wondering since it seems there are no parts out there. Unless the Chevy module is the same. Window sticker shows it as extra cost option.

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do you have a picture of the guts? It might be the same one, with a housing to fit the native application. If so, it might me worth as much, or even more than a K66.

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

11. No pictures. I've not taken the cap off . It runs great right now.

12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

13. squirrel

squirrel

if it runs great, leave it alone...if you're worried about it quitting, get a stock points distributor to keep as a spare, and a few pieces of wire so you can wire it in.

das858 and gimpyshotrods like this.
  14. Looked at the link someone provided. Next time I'm over to the house I'll take a picture to compare. Have not found the module that appears o mount on the firewall either. May have been changed already however it's not listed in the pages of the cars history.

15. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I had one in a 64 Pontiac Grand Prix with a 421. It was a royal pain in the ass so I swapped it for a single points distributor.. Looking back, I think the 421 had Packard 440 wires and that was causing all the issues.. That swap also taught me about resisters cause I was going through points like crazy.. lol

16. Fordors

Fordors

Check the wiring into the rubber grommet in the bottom of the distributor. If there is one wire (factory will be black) connected to the negative (-) side of the coil you have points. Check the link that big deuce provided, the K66 will have two wires going into the distributor grommet that connect to the wiring harness.

17. Finally an update. Bought points and stuff for the GTO. Took the cap off and it's the electronic dist. So I still cannot find the module? Anybody have a clue where it mounts on a GTO? I have books for the car but cannot seem to find where the box locates.

18. squirrel

squirrel

post a picture of the distributor, with the cap off. Or just verify it is the original pickup, find pictures of an original transistor distributor and compare.

The module for the original transistor ignition is pretty large, a cast aluminum box. There's also an electronic voltage regulator (originally)

19. Fordors

Fordors

It might be mounted to the front of the core support, GM said they were heat sensitive.

20. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Of course it was an option .:D Was there any other engine ? j/k

21. Has the electronic voltage regulator. I bypassed that. Change to an internal regulated alt.

22. squirrel

squirrel

sure would be neat to see what's in the distributor, so we can help you figure this out

23. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is anyone building a clone of the control box with modern internals?

Sent from my SM-G965U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER