Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical SBC with a story

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Mike Colemire, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

I had a friend that told me he had a 300HP sbc in his barn, belonged to his Dad and he had it in a 70 chev pick up. It had been in the barn for years and his Dad had since passed. He brought it out and I stuck it on the eng stand, run the numbers and the short block was a 69 to 73 307, the heads were built on April 15, 1966, they are the 462 castings. The motor turned over with no tight spots and the carb, 4 bbl carter wasn't even froze up. He stopped by today and I told him it was a 307, he said his Dad had the 307, had it gone through by a old drag racer and made it into a 327. He put the double hump heads on it at the same time along with the 4 BBL carb and intake. Year or so later he wrecked the truck, pulled the motor and sold the truck. I can't help but think that it must have been a really good block to bore it that much. I'm going to tear it down to the short block for the heck of it, may sell some of it or use it on a furture project. I think the carb and intake are 1966 also, my memory isn't that great, I'll check the numbers on it sometime. A couple of pics of it. 20190418_115407.jpg

Attached Files:

Deuces and Moon50F3 like this.
  2. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

That's so cool when you know the history on an engine ,body or part(s). It gives a little bit of soul.:cool:

3. Fordors

Fordors

That carburetor looks to be the 4028S Carter AVS, air valve secondary. It’s from a 1966 275 horse 327, I have one on a 283, great carb!

4. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

I'm thinking it was taken from the same car as the heads. The guy that built it had a garage about a mile from me, he's been gone since the late 70's. I can barely remember a straight axle drag car he had in the 60's. I think it was a Henry J. Are the double hump heads even worth anything anymore? Been a long time since I fooled with them.

5. I’ve heard plenty of stories about the 307 going to a 4” bore. Yank the heads off and see.

6. Fordors

Fordors

I would keep the heads but naturally you will want to check them over and see if the cost to repair them would be worthwhile. If the guides are excessively worn they can have bronze sleeves put in and get resized. If the valves have little margin left they should be replaced and if they are sunk from having too many valve jobs then you would be looking at new seats. Sometimes the condition heads are in makes the repair cost worse than getting different heads.
    But you won’t know until you evaluate them, you just might get off cheap for the price of a valve job.

7. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

With today's gas hardened exhaust seats would have to be installed. With what you can buy alum heads for these days, I just figured they weren't worth much now.

8. Bullit68

Bullit68
    from Verona, PA

Recently I bought a pair of 1.94 camel hump heads off a buddy for $50. Took to the machine shop and guys says $440 to go though them... pressure test, valve job, etc. I want them for a period type build, but Jesus, might as well buy new. I have 2.02 Summit heads that were just over $600 new. Paying up for old school look.

9. Bullit68

Bullit68
    from Verona, PA

I did score a nice Edelbrock 3CB intake off local CL for $65... that helps offset cost in my mind... hahaha

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It seems to be damned if I do or damned if I don't with sbc stuff. One does have to weigh the cost of having a set of "camel hump" heads reworked at today's prices against other heads that perform as well if not better unless he is dead set on authenticity.

The 307 has always been the poor step child of the small block world but if you look at it as a stroked 283 it starts to look interesting. We took a 307 short block, put 283 poweran pack heads on it with a 300 hp cast iron intake, swap meet "Z28" cam and a Holley carb that I had basically assembled from pieces and that thing was a sleeper in a 70 C10 with a granny 4 speed and 3.7 gears. My son won many of a cross walk to cross walk street race with it back 30 years ago.