Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Anyone here with SBC short water pump AND A/C?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by gsnort, Apr 18, 2019.

1. gsnort

gsnort
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is there anyone with a small block chevy with a short water pump AND ALSO A/C? If so, how did you do it?

2. mcsfabrication

mcsfabrication
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. buck 32

buck 32
    from Maryland

Speedway. Bill's hotrod Brackts

barebones32, rfraze and gsnort like this.
  4. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

Bill’s Hot Rod Parts. Excellent quality.

barebones32, rfraze and gsnort like this.

5. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I'll second Bill's brackets. The quality is very nice and they don't look cheesy or billety. The downside to them is that the plating is so nice they make some of the cheap brackets I have in my belt drive look really bad and will need to be sent out for better plating. Running a serpentine drive is absolutely out of the question, V-belts only. I'm running a Sanden compressor, short water pump, power steering, and GM 1 wire alternator.

6. Larry W

Larry W
    from kansas

Alan Grove worked for me. Clean and simple.

7. chargin03

chargin03

8. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

like the factory done it in the 60s. true-ss-chevy-ii-283-v8-swap-powerglide-auto-factory-ac-brand-new-paint-4.JPG

427 sleeper, gsnort and Chavezk21 like this.
  9. Daddy_O

Daddy_O

As stated by others, Alan Grove.

little red 50 and gsnort like this.
  10. gsnort

gsnort
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow. Thank you all! I thought I was a goner.

11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just to reiterate, ALAN GROVE COMPONENTS!

12. gsnort

gsnort
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Keith at Alan Grove was very helpful. I forgot to mention in my original post that I also have power steering. No problem, according to Keith. Thanks everyone. Your help was very much appreciated.

13. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

my 64 impala has power steering with 283 and factory offered a/c as a option. pulleys are available. keeping it traditional.

gsnort likes this.
  14. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Almost everything from Alan Grove spaces the alternator/power steering pump/A-C compressor way too far out to the sides; nothing is compact, and it just looks too "industrial" (JMO). And, there has got to be a lot of "flippity-floppity" action with those L-O-N-G drive belts. I scoured that auction site we all know and love for brackets, and although short water pump stuff is harder to find, I found it there, and bought it. My DD truck is a collage of parts I've had on hand, and it's almost 40 years old now (I won't mention the actual years-rules and all). I figure the truck will outlive me! And I get "nice truck" from people all the time, and it's nothing special.
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

gsnort and Russco like this.
  15. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Another vote for Bill's Hot Rod parts. He has various layouts for narrow or low engine compartments.

He even sends along prospective belt sizes so you are not completely in the dark, It avoids the working with rope or shoe strings.

gsnort and rfraze like this.
  16. bob b.

bob b.
    from peoria az.

swap meet

gsnort likes this.
  17. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

I have the Alan Grove set (100R - A.C. / 200L - Alt.). Nice parts, very well made and solid. I have the early Corvette short water pump.

Both come with a bunch of spacers and washers. You’ll need them to adjust where the brackets end up on your engine. Having to thread the bolts through a stack of spacers and washers annoyed me, so once I decided what needed to go where, I welded the spacers and washers to the brackets. Grind smooth and paint.

The A/C bracket

[​IMG]

says that it clears tall valve covers, and that’s true, it does, but only if you put the valve cover on first, then the bracket. There isn’t enough clearance to get the valve cover on/off.

There are two mounting holes on the top, where the intake bolts hold them. I cut the rear hole off, along with some of the bracket. Now I can get the valve cover on/off, just barely, without having to disturb the intake bolts.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

OFT and gsnort like this.
  18. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

81A2B40E-99F3-48B2-822E-9FC91474B8D0.jpeg CED05D81-0F0E-4455-9061-4D48718CDBCA.jpeg 21179EC2-AF07-479D-8769-061E1C4D5453.jpeg F078CE88-D56E-41D3-92C3-8F1542A2BFC0.jpeg
    I did a bunch of checking around and went with Bill’s set up on my 40. I can easily take the valve covers off and the alt and compressor are not hanging way out the side. For my application this was the best option yours may be different.

OFT, gsnort and rfraze like this.
  19. Pooch

Pooch
    from Oklahoma

Bills

gsnort likes this.
  20. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Looks like the same bracket I bought off of E-Bay, only probably a little cheaper and un-named parts. I still have't gotten around to installing the A/C in my DD Truck; maybe one of these days when the heat gets unbearable around here. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

gsnort likes this.
  21. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I owned a 1967 GMC pickup about 10 years ago with a 327 SBC engine plus a/c and I broke down once on the highway near Ritzville WA with a water pump failure.
    When it came to getting a replacement I was surprised to learn that there is not only a long and short water pump for a SBC engine but also an intermediate pump which the GMC was running.
    I am not sure how common they were, but it may and an extra dimension to your thinking should you need to consider another alternative...

gsnort likes this.
  22. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

I dunno. Any closer to the center and I’d be hitting the radiator hose.
    [​IMG]

little red 50, OFT and gsnort like this.
  23. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

^^^Very nice setup^^^. Looking at the Alan Grove site, when I was looking for options, almost everything listed had large, spaced out brackets, and really long drive belts. As I said in my statement, "ALMOST EVERYTHING" from Alan Grove Components spaces the alternator/power steering pump/A-C compressor way too far out to the sides. Almost everything, and not everything; frankly, in looking at the site, it does't make the parts well thought out, although yours most definitely is. I can't say anything more than that. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

David Gersic and gsnort like this.
  24. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

A lot of them do look wide. Clearing low hoods with wide engine compartments? My 37 doesn’t have a lot of room up front, but it all does fit in there.

gsnort likes this.
  25. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have done a lot of 40's with ac and short pump small block-always use Bill's HotRod brackets-just did a 39 woody the same setup.. On trifives I have used both Bill's and Alan Grove brackets

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
    gsnort likes this.
  26. donno

donno

How in the pluturbian hell did you find parts in Rittzville? Or did they come from Spokane or Moses Hole.?

gsnort likes this.
  27. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

It ended up being an overnight stay and was great.
    I found myself staying across the road in a Motel from the railroad yards and in one of the rail sheds was the Ritzville Old Car guys meeting, which I was invited to attend, I felt very welcome and had a great night there.
    The tow truck guy who hauled me in from the highway tried to get me repaired in the local garage, but the guy there was less than helpful, so the tow truck guy ended up ordering my parts and installing them the next day.
    He had all the tools and a decent meal and couple of bucks covered his needs.
    What a guy and we both enjoyed fooling around with the water pump swap.

Even the local Motel folks were great and very accommodating.
    I can not speak highly enough about this small town and its friendly attitude.
    I do intend to revisit this town one day when I am in the area.

Obviously, it is off the highway and most folks just drive right on by as I had intended, but a turn of fate saw me towed in and it was a good an experience as one could hope for considering I had broken down...
    So remember the name Ritzville WA not too far from Spokane.

Oh and the burgers were pretty darn good as well...

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  28. buck 32

buck 32
    from Maryland

20170122_110743.jpg Bill's Brackets

gsnort likes this.
  29. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used the Bills bracket system in my 48 with 327 short pump and early heads and both alt and a/c were mounted inboard like Dave's

gsnort likes this.