Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Daughter wanting classic car for first vehicle?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by testdepth, Apr 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. glrbird

glrbird

I gave my son at 16 my 57 t-bird, if there were any speeding tickets or accidents he was done and the next car would be on him. He never did, after college graduation we bought him a new mustang Bullitt. He did get a ticket for expired inspection in it. Set the rules.

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. egads

egads

Actually, this picture was taken in 2005.

loudbang and testdepth like this.
  3. '69 Chevy Impala 4dr. Fifty years old, simple mechanics, big as a tank., and has 3 point seat belts. Perfect!

loudbang, alanp561 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  4. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

My oldest son who isn't a gearhead at all got a 4 cylinder Honda for his 1st car. My youngest son, who has motor oil in his veins, is driving my old big block powered '79 F250. The set of wheels needs to fit what the kid is comfortable driving and can handle.

5. testdepth

testdepth

I tried an 80's model 240 Volvo sedan AKA mini tank, but she didn't like it. When I was a kid I drove a 1969 Chevelle 2dr 300 Deluxe stick shift. Never had a wreck or a close call back in the 70's and 80's but that was before cell phones unless you count the first versions that were the size of a car battery. Safest car without an airbag would still be an old Volvo. Personally knew a guy and his wife that wrecked one at 100mph and walked away.

6. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

I gave my kids #1 Daughter 76 Monte Carlo #2 Daughter 67 Cutlass Convertible #3 Daughter 60 Impala # 4 Son 79 El Camino . the only wreck happened when two street racers Rear ended the Cutlass = Totaled it . my #3 Daughter still has The 60 Impala 23 years later , won't part with it . Coleys 60.jpg

7. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

So you want something kinda cool for your daughter. I know this is a bad word here, but what about an S-10 (or Ranger)? Lower it. Wheels and tires. Old enough to be cool, and you can actually work on it. New enough to get parts. Cheap enough to not worry too much about it.

loudbang and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  8. With all of the safety improvements in the last 50 years I am not sure I would want to drive an old car everyday. I have a 13 year old daughter and she will get a safe, reliable late model car when the time comes.

Charlie Stephens

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  9. Vices&Vandals

Vices&Vandals

[​IMG]
    When my daughter said she wanted an old truck we found her this '49 Chevy project, finished it and dropped in a small block and automatic. She loves it and I love the fact that she wanted to keep the tradition alive.

loudbang, chryslerfan55 and egads like this.
  10. Thats how it was with my Camaro, I had very strict rules on keeping the car. Had to keep my grades at a certain level, no tickets, had to either continue with school sports and clubs or get a after school job.

loudbang, alanp561 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. Kids are kids, the only difference are the amount of other people on the road now. I drove a early 70's car as my first and quickly went to my '60 El Camino in the 80's/90's. I would say to start out with a 70's car if you DON'T want to do any upgrades. Most have disc brakes, power steering and feel a lot closer to modern cars (then earlier ones) and parts are still pretty cheap. If you really are confident in her driving then go 60's or 50's, but don't go VW.

Can't believe some posts about a new car only, but all were raised on "older" cars. My first car was over 15 years old when I got it (only had it a few years) and my second was over 30. I don't understand the idea that they are so much more unsafe then they were when I was driving them. I drive my cars daily (only new car is the g/f's other car), I don't own a new car....just don't like them. and yet I feel perfectly fine.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  12. manyolcars

manyolcars

First you need to learn what a classic car is. Go to the Classic Car Club website to find out.

13. Please forgive this off-topic post but as car guys, you will enjoy it. I need to point out I am 37 years old.

About six months ago I was in the dentist office I was at the counter waiting to pay my bill.
    The kid ahead of me was excited he had just passed his road test.
    The receptionist asked, "Do you have a car?"
    I thought he was going to say "5.0 Mustang or Third Gen Camaro."
    He said all in a big proud voice "Yes a Volkswagen Passat (I call them Piss-ants) and it's an automatic, so I can drive it!"

[​IMG]

14. The "Classic Car Club of America" is not some legal authority that has the sole discretion of defining what is - or is not - a "classic car". Simply because a club of hoity-toity jackwagons doesn't accept a 19whenever Whatamacallit Thingadoodle as a "classic car" doesn't mean such a vehicle isn't a "classic car".

Now, regarding the topic of the thread, I think whether or not purchasing a "classic car" as a first vehicle for a teenager depends upon a variety of things. How mechanically capable is he or she? Will your kid be able to recognize an "not normal" issue with the vehicle developing before it becomes a major problem? What's his or her level of driver awareness? Is your kid capable of recognizing the limitations of a "classic car", or remember the limitations when otherwise distracted? In what sort of conditions will he or she be driving? Are you in a busy city or a sleepy little town? Do you see heavy thunderstorms during the summer or snow/ice during the winter?

I drove a '58 Chevy to high school in the late '90s in a small town of 25k people. If I had a driving age kid in the place I live now (metro of 450k+), he or she would be driving a late model vehicle to high school.

shivasdad, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  15. X-cpe

X-cpe

Never bought my kids a car. Would front them the money. My son drove the old station wagon, that he swore he never would, until we got his Fiero done. It took him a week and a half to destroy that showing off for a girl. My daughter wanted an MGB so we found one but the work was taking too long so I found an S-10 Blazer for her. She and her friend drove that from Maryland to Alaska and back after her senior year of high school. One of these days when I get the MGB done I get my money back.

16. spanners

spanners

Old cars aren't safer, but most times the old car driver is the safer driver. (I just sounded like Yoda.)

s55mercury66, loudbang, LBCD and 2 others like this.
  17. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Sorry chicken, but you are wrong. The Classic Car Club of America makes the rules on which vehicles are "Full Classics". There are several requirements that need to be met to allow a car to be admitted, as "Classics", into the CCCA, and all are researched thoroughly. If it's not on the list, it isn't considered a classic simple as that. What car do you have in mind as a "Classic"?

lothiandon1940 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  18. deadbeat

deadbeat

I bought a 71 beetle for our daughter and she drove it to school and home every day. Learnt how to bump start it when the battery was knackered.Disc brakes and 12 volt were the better option. She is 28 now and a mechanic and knows how to rebuild the old carb when she needs to. She is restoring it now. Cheers

egads likes this.
  19. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

Put me in with those who recommend a modern car with airbags and better absorption during impact testing.

Unique Rustorations likes this.
  20. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Give it a rest, I don’t think too many of us give a rats behind what the CCCA does or doesn’t like.
    Or what they consider classics or not.
    Bunch of stuffy snobs. :D

HotrodHR, deadbeat, loudbang and 7 others like this.
  21. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not unless there's enough weight in the back to keep the rear end from coming around on a wet spot or ice.

loudbang likes this.
  22. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I bought a 1968 mustang for my daughter when she was 14. I did all the body work and interior on it for her. The 302 didn't need anything other than replacing leaking gaskets. I overhauled the C-4 transmission. She was so proud of the car when it was done. She still has the car, but I think she is going to do some horse trading for the paint job on the 42 Chevrolet that I'm building for her now

loudbang and egads like this.
  23. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Reading all these posts, I'm sort of amazed by all the members whose parents who bought cars for them when they were kids and that the same members bought cars for their kids. I'm not saying it's wrong, but my folks wouldn't have given a thought to buying me a car. If I wanted one, I had to work for it so I spent the whole summer between my junior and senior years baling hay at 2 cents a bale in order to afford a well used 50 Ford. Just because I paid for it didn't mean there weren't rules and, if I broke them, I found myself walking. If it broke down, I was expected to work to pay for parts and repairs. I also got to pay my own insurance. I've never bought a car for any of my six kids either and I don't think they feel deprived, either. I've watched some of my kids buy their kids cars and then come back to me after the kid screws up and tell me that I had it right all along. Make them earn it and they'll appreciate it more.

loudbang likes this.
  24. ken bogren

ken bogren

Meet your kid half way. Get a car new enough to have airbags and ABS (late 80s early 90s) My 91 Mustang had both and I think they had airbags in the late 80s.

Then get a starter Hamb friendly and have her help make it really road worthy and see where it goes from there.

loudbang likes this.
  25. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My boys both drove whatever they had saved their money for and bought. My dad did not buy me a car and I soon learned that tire marks up the road were costly so I stopped after I had to buy a set of rear tires. I also slowed down a lot after a municipal judge made a believer out of me.

Those types of lessons don't come with anybody whom has had stuff given to them.

loudbang and alanp561 like this.
  26. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

So what are you looking for ?
    Turn key or project to work on together ?

Where are you located ?

loudbang likes this.
  27. BJR

BJR

My daughter who was an A student and never in trouble rolled her first car, an 83 Olds 88 with in one month of getting her license. Buy a very safe car for the first car. Get the first few accidents behind her and then get a collector car for a daily driver.

Unique Rustorations likes this.
  28. testdepth

testdepth

I guess we have a difference of opinion. 1915 to 1948 is what they call classic, I call that antique. My 1969 Chevelle 2dr in burgundy was a definite classy classic that I spent many a Friday night cruising main street in Ventura Ca in with my buddies and their classic 60's to 70's hot rods. The stuff we used to do back then and still walk away still amazes me and I am thankful to have daughters. God watches out for fools!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  29. testdepth

testdepth

Located in South East GA near the Florida line. Not looking for basket case but a project would work. She is willing to put in the elbow grease for it. I have all daughters with the youngest being 15 and they are very respectful and appreciative of what they are given. Anytime I need a hand they are right there asking to help whether it's cutting the grass or planting fence posts with a post hole digger and shovel. I don't mind helping them obtain their first car.

30. 6sally6

6sally6

I had one-of-each and they got to pick (within reason) what they wanted. Daughter got an 85 Fiero(IIII told her!!) and son got a 66 Mustang. (father/son project car) Kept good grades and bought their own gas/insurance and paid for repairs
    was the "factor" to drive responsibly. Neither got tickets or had accidents that was caused by them. IF she wants a VW...and will help with the restore/repairs and is pretty responsible for her age(that's YOUR determination) then go-for-it.
    I DID install hi-back bucket seats and insisted on seat belt usage. (you should too!)
    6sally6

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.