Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Carb adjustment...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustydusty, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Just rebuilt the Edelbrock 1406 carb, installed a fuel pressure regulator and gauge.
    The fuel pressure is around 5psi and the engine is running pretty well. I feel like it's running a little rich. The needle valves were open 2 1/4-2 1/2 turns each, which seems pretty excessive to me. One needle valve was damaged, so I switched it for one from a spare carb I have. That carb needle was also open 2 1/2 turns. Is this standard? I haven't used either carb before. The car also has flamethrowers installed (which I don't plan on using) which could also explain why it is running rich.

2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

2 1/2 turns doesn't sound that far off.

3. what size are the Jets and the Metering rods? and what color are the Step up springs?

Larry W likes this.
  4. I hate to say, that I have no idea. Not much included with carb kit- some gaskets, float needles and seats, 2 check balls that were both larger and smaller than the one that was in the carb. Basically just a cleaning kit...

5. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

I maybe wrong, but I thought 2 1/2 turns is the rough set up on a carb, then fine tune from there. But I could be wrong. You said you feel its rich, but what is it doing? Black smoke? Are you using the electric choke and did you tune this up after the rebuild too? Are you holding the pedal down once to set the choke and then letting the engine warm up before pressing on the gas again? Am I asking tooo many questions?????

6. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

Put a vacuum gauge on it and adjust in or out until you are pulling most amount of vacuum once warmed up. I usually start at 1 1/2 turns and in, out from there. Some guys turn them it til it starts to stumble then back off til it smooths out.

Nitroholic likes this.
  7. No black smoke, just smells gassy (kinda like me...)! Sounds "cammy" at an idle, and no, I did not adjust the electric choke. I will probably do away with it and install a manual choke. I like to know what my choke is doing from inside the car...

8. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

No black smoke, just smells gassy (kinda like me...)! :D:D:D. Have you checked to see what your plugs look like?

9. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Everything you need to know is on the Edelbrock website where you'll have access to the installation and tuning guides.

The needle valves are only for idle mixture. Beyond that it's needles, jets and springs, so adjustment or tuning requires parts to accomplish (beyond the accelerator pump shot). The parts are in what I think is called their strip kit, which are carburettor model dependent.

If you're like me you'll lose the tiny hairclip things that seem to be irreplaceable. If you find a good source, please let me know!

Chris

10. I haven't had it out for a high speed run yet, so no, I haven't done a plug reading. Before I rebuilt the carb, and installed the fuel pressure regulator, it was flooding out in about 20 seconds. So I am sure the plugs are black as pitch. I just acquired this car, so am working on correcting all the previous owners f**k ups...
    Check out this wiring!! 0403191024a.jpg 0403191024a.jpg

11. jbon64

jbon64
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

ditto on what happydaze said. i had really good luck tuning my 600 after reading up on the procedure then taking my time and doing it step by step. had frustrating results trying to tune a holley years ago ,but the eddy seemed so much easier .

12. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

not too bad, there's been worse posted on here. When you move the needles does the engine respond accordingly or does it seems like its not changing? I rebuild my 1406 a couple of months ago, was my first time.

13. Seems like it isn't changing...

14. 6sally6

6sally6

Are you POSITIVE you don't have a vacuum leak?!
    2 1/2-2 1/4 turns are normal.(fine tune after engine gets warm.)
    Does it have a snotty idling camshaft?
    May be able to "help" it with different needles and springs. (Jets after that)
    EZ to tune!!!!(compared to a Holley)
    Timing advance makes a big difference in "gassy smell"
    6sally6

15. It does have a "snotty" idling cam. The guy I bought it from didn't build it and owned it about a year and never tagged it. He had little, or misinformation about the engine build... It has a '66 283 that the previous owner said had been "stroked". Said he told him it was stroked to 383 cu in! Say what??? That's a hundred more cubes! Riiight...