Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Hot Rod Cover Cars at the 2019 Pebble Beach Concours

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

Hot Rod Cover Cars at the 2019 Pebble Beach Concours

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. Are you trying to keep it restricted to a certain era of cover cars?

A few that come to mind are the Pierson brothers coupe, the Dick Flint roadster, and Don Williams' coupe. I'm not sure if Williams' coupe still exists.
    ford-coupe-april-1950-hot-rod-cover-pierson.jpg may52.jpg Untitled-2.jpg

3. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

You're a braver Man than I Gunda Din!
    Do you need an assistant? I couldn't choose, it would be a 10 way tie!
    We await your results!

4. @El Hueso -

Just an FYI ...

All 3 have already appeared at the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance:

Dick Flint Roadster - 1st in class @ 1999 PBCd'E.jpg
    Don Orosco's "Dick Flint Roadster" was 1st in class (& the Dean Batchelor Memorial Trophy winner) @ the 1999 PBCd'E

Pierson Bros. Coupe - 2nd in class @ 2001 PBCd'E.jpg
    @Deuce Bruce Meyer's "Pierson Bros. Coupe" was 2nd in class @ the 2001 PBCd'E

Don Williams Coupe - @ 2001 PBCd'E .jpg
    John LaBelle's "Don Williams Collegiate Coupe" was shown @ the 2001 PBCd'E

alfin32, Stogy, loudbang and 3 others like this.

5. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Indeed! That's the trick-- Hot Rods that have not been shown at PB before!

6. pgan

pgan
    Member Emeritus

Since this is a "forum," I figure this is a good place to discuss a topic that I think needs a bit more discussion or clarification. To start, yes, a year cut-off is definitely necessary. I'd suggest sometime in the mid '60s.
    Second, you must realize that all sorts of vehicles have been featured on the cover of Hot Rod: lakes racers, circle track, dragsters, quarter midgets, sports cars, stockers, go-karts, Indy cars, boats, and engines--lots of engines. Obviously it should be limited to modified 4-wheel vehicles.
    Next, what constitutes "featured"? Many covers had 2 or 3 cars. What about the one (or more) up in the upper right corner? Cars in backgrounds? Look at the Aug. '60 cover. It had everything including a boat, a Vespa, and a model car.
    Since my Iacono dragster was one of two (the other being the more worthy Chrisman Hustler I) featured on the Jan. '59 cover, just out of curiosity I called Ken to see if it would qualify and what the selection criteria might be.
    In the case of my car it came down to the technicality of its being a push-start car with minimal ground clearance. He said each car has to be started during judging, and be able to drive up and over the podium ramps. I said "What if I don't care about getting to the podium?" And he replied that the class only gets 8 or 9 entries, and there are so many excellent and capable ones to choose from, that rules out ones that don't meet those criteria.
    But then he added something that has not been stated publicly, as far as I know: "We are not just looking at cars on the cover of Hot Rod magazine. We are considering cars from the covers of any hot rod magazine, such as Hop Up, Car Craft, and so on." This makes a big difference. And in fact, I think it might be directed at one or two specific cars. But this would also open it to considerably more '50s customs. Since '49-'51 Mercs were the last Pebble "hot rod" class, should there be any more this time? Further, as has already been pointed out, cars that have already been to Pebble--or won--should maybe (probably) be ruled out.
    As I say, this is a forum, which is a place to bring up questions (and being the H.A.M.B., it goes without saying that there will be plenty of opinions). My personal opinion is that it should be limited to cars that were primary features on Hot Rod magazine covers. And nix the boats, dune buggies, quarter midgets, and stockers. As for dragsters and other racers from this era, the self-start/ground clearance rule would probably eliminate most. And, of course, all should be original, era-restored (or unrestored) cars, not clones. As the say here, IMHO.

Pat Ganahl

HemiDeuce, jetnow1, plan9 and 18 others like this.
  7. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

One of my all time favorites has to be Bart & Helen Root's roadster. 03-July-1955-Cover.jpg

8. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

It Would Be Great To See This Deuce Tub Featured At Pebble... s-l1600.jpg

alfin32, Torkwrench, TERPU and 2 others like this.
  9. @Jive-Bomber Jay -

I think a bit of clarification is in order ...

I don't think @Chopperken Gross is limiting the invites to cars that appeared on the cover of a HOT ROD magazine ... but rather cars that appeared on the cover of a late '40s thru early '60s magazine that catered to Hot Rodders and/or Customizers.

I know for a fact that Ken has already extended an invite to ...

• Jim Govro's "Tweety Bird" channeled Deuce Roadster (recently restored by @Keith and the guys at REX Rod & Chassis):

Tweety Bird on cover of August 1959 Rodding & Restyling.JPG
      "Tweety Bird" on the cover of the August 1959 issue of RODDING and Re-styling

• Ross Myers' "Norm Grabowski Kookie Kar" Model T Roadster (currently being restored by Roy Brizio Street Rods & @hollenbeck32's Vintage Color Studio):

Kookie Kar on cover of April 1957 Car Craft.jpg
      "Kookie Kar" on the cover of the April 1957 issue of CAR CRAFT

Kookie Kar on cover of August 1959 Rods Illustrated.jpg
      "Kookie Kar" on the cover of the August 1959 issue of RODS ILLUSTRATED

Kookie Kar on cover of September 1959 Rod Builder.jpg
      "Kookie Kar" on the cover of the September 1959 issue of ROD BUILDER

• John Mumford's "Peters/Barris Ala Kart" Model A RPU (restored by Junior Conway & Bill @slixauto Ganahl while at Roy Brizio Street Rods):

Ala Kart on cover October 1958 HOT ROD.jpg
      "Ala Kart" on the cover of the October 1958 issue of HOT ROD

As you can see, only the "Ala Kart" appeared on the cover of HRM ... well technically, the "Kookie Kar" did as well ... but in its circa 1955 "Lightning Bug" version:

Lightning Bug on cover of October 1955 HOT ROD.jpg
    "Lightning Bug" on the cover of the October 1955 issue of HOT ROD

Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
  10. The37Kid

The37Kid

th.jpg Pebble Beach IS Addictive, this will be my third year, thanks to a Fathers Day gift with my oldest daughter, just enjoy the time there, don't knock the cost. I just don't know how you can judge any class there, everything is perfect, nothing like what I judged in 30 years of AACA National Meets. I can still remember putting two quarters on the counter at Squashe's for my first copy of Hot Rod in 1961, still have it, I'd like to see the Coupe again. This year also features Bentley, should be a great time! Bob

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  11. I would agree with prior comments though on what is being considered. Are they mainly looking for hot rods or possibly customs built in the same era and what is the exact era? It has been a pipe dream to have Taboo considered to go to Pebble Beach as it was a Cover and major feature car in the May 1960 Rod & Custom issue (bottom right car), the car is not as well known outside of the Portland, Oregon area and there are many, many more famous well known cars that defiantly deserve to get the spotlight at Pebble Beach.

[​IMG]

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  12. The37Kid

The37Kid

DSCF0201.JPG If the total number of covers accounts for anything, I guess Norm's T has an edge on everyone. Bob

13. Sorry @Stogy -

The whereabouts of the Eddie Hulse #668 Roadster is unknown ... and the other three have already appeared at the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance:

Calori Coupe - 1st in class @ 2005 PBCd'E.jpg
    Jorge Zaragoza's "Jack Calori '36 Coupe" was 1st in class @ the 2005 PBCd'E

Lloyd Bakan Coupe - 1st in class @ 2007 PBCd'E.jpg
    Don Orosco's "Lloyd Bakan Coupe" was 1st in class @ the 2007 PBCd'E

So-Cal Coupe - 1st in class @ 2001 PBCd'E.jpg
    Don Orosco's "So-Cal Coupe" was 1st in class @ the 2001 PBCd'E

HemiDeuce, alfin32, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh so once they have appeared they don't compete again...I will remove my picks to many details for me to decipher...:)...my apologies...and yes the Hulse Roadster disappeared or so it seems. Thanks for the heads up Hemi32.

loudbang, chryslerfan55 and The37Kid like this.
  15. The37Kid

The37Kid

That once there rule is for all cars in all classes, you can be asked back after 10 years pass, but there may be exceptions that allow the car on the lawn but not judged. That is what I find amazing, every year they fill the lawn with cars nobody has seen there. Bob

16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As long as I'm able to see this stuff I'll be able to dream a little ...Thats the main thing... That So-Cal coupe had some tragedy in the past...Definitely theres heavy ions around some of these treasured relics. Theres lots of specifics and many here are right on top of things...its all good...AND if they can't be there they'll show up at other venues.

17. Sorry Bob -

The restored Clarence 'Chili' Catallo / Alexander Bros "Little Deuce Coupe" has already appeared at the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance:

Little Deuce Coupe - @ 2001 PBCd'E.jpg
    Curt Catallo showed his father's "Little Deuce Coupe" @ the 2001 PBCd'E

alfin32, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  18. I am surprised the Ala Kart has not been at Pebble Beach yet. That car certainly needs to be there.

19. Yeah, the Kookie T and the Ala Kart, definitely .

loudbang and hrm2k like this.
  20. How 'bout Phil Cool's '32 hiboy roadster?
    It's a little newer than the proposed cutoff, but it does have all the credentials:
    • 1978 AMBR Winner:cool:
    • Featured on the July '78 HRM cover.... in the era of custom vans & V6-powered resto rods. :rolleyes:
    • Displayed again at "75 years of '32 Fords".:)
    Phil Cool 04.jpg Phil Cool 06.jpg Phil Cool 99.jpg

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  21. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

I know what the cutoff is for HAMB friendly cars on this page, but if Pebble Beach has different rules there are probably some from later era magazine covers that would qualify. A couple that come to mind are John Buttera's '26 T sedan that was on the cover of Hot Rod in 1974, or for that matter his '32 3 window coupe from the cover of Hot Rod in 1979 (although that car arguably ushered in the billet aluminum trend.)

22. I would like to see

Al Dal Porto T
    Eddie Dye roadster

Lifted from the Pebble Beach Concours site
    The 2019 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance will featured the following marques and special classes among others:

• Bentley Centennial
    • Zagato Centennial
    • Bugatti Type 59 & Touring
    • Historic Hot Rod "Cover Cars"
    • Additional features to be announced soon
    So class is for Cover Cars not just HRM cover cars.

kidcampbell71, HEMI32, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  23. TERPU

TERPU

Can't. Unfortunately that's been totally restored.

24. TERPU

TERPU

That Car will be there :)

loudbang, chryslerfan55 and Just Gary like this.
  25. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Carrillo roadster even though it had been there before frank 3.jpg

alfin32, Just Gary and chryslerfan55 like this.
  26. The37Kid

The37Kid

The Coupe is less than an hour away from me. I know it made out to the Best '32 Display at Pomona a few years back, it is in great shape. I've always liked his '27 T and it would look great on the lawn. Bob

loudbang likes this.
  27. Or maybe Orange Crate?
    HRM Feb '62 and TRJ a few years ago.
    orange crate 01.jpg orange crate 02.jpg

alfin32, Ranchero59, HEMI32 and 5 others like this.
  28. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

I saw L’ll John’s sedan in the basement at the Peterson Museum the last time I was there. I believe that the museum now owns it. In fact I saw quite a few well know hot rods in the basement “vault”

29. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

0_Nov-73-R-and-C.jpg

robs-car-movie-review-the-california-kid-1974-0010.jpg

Perhaps its strike 2 for Stogy
    Maybe not...

The California Kid

It's an inspired Hotrod with Period roots that was showcased in a Hamb period timeframe in a movie...

Fingers Crossed...;)

A story about the rise of the Flamed Hotrod from the Late Pete Chapouris

https://www.peteandjakes.com/the-california-kid-back-story/

Also I think there is a Hamb connection to this iconic Hotrod as well...in reference to Hamber Harms Way

Wrong...here's the thread...

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...e-california-kid-come-from-new-clues.1124053/

If this is OT I will remove this post...

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
    alfin32, hrm2k, sr and 3 others like this.
  30. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

neat stuff! best of the best.