Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Let's See How You Mounted a Fire Extinguisher In Your Car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blues4U, Apr 11, 2019.

1. BigChief

BigChief

Be sure to check your extinguishers a couple times a year for proper pressure and to invert/shake them up a bit to verify the powder is kept loose.

ALSO....if you have any extinguishers with plastic tops/handles please get rid of them. Most were recalled a couple years ago. Be sure your new ones have metal tops and handles. Your local fire suppression supply folks will be happy to check/fill and re-charge any good quality extinguisher.

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Glad to see this thread. Old cars are more prone to disaster. Maybe not yours, but could be a fellow hot Rodder
    Here at the city, almost all our vehicles have them
    JT

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy, nunattax and loudbang like this.
  3. egads

egads

That's why I don't have powder extinguisher's ,not to mention the mess they make. Halotron only for me.

loudbang likes this.
  4. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  5. What looks like bags in the trunk are only covers for the fire extinguisher on the left and the battery on the right, easy to remove. IMG_0077.JPG

6. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

I always carry an extinguisher in my vehicles but when I saw this item it seemed interesting. https://elementfire.com/
    Has anyone had any experience with this product? The videos make it look promising. It may be a good addition to the normal type of extinguisher I carry.
    Thoughts?

egads and loudbang like this.
  7. loudbang

loudbang

Wow good find. Nice and small but looks like it does a good job. For the money I would probably buy the larger 100 one.

Stogy likes this.
  8. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

That looks interesting.

Watch the Jay Leno video when they deploy one, it seems to go for a very long time. I don't think you'll need the larger one.

loudbang, Stogy and egads like this.
  9. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Mine’s a daily driver, so I keep it handy. Underneath the seat with no fancy release, just a pressure fit mount. Just grab and go.

[​IMG]

loudbang likes this.
  10. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I wouldn't be comfortable with it unsecured.

loudbang, egads and Finn Jensen like this.
  11. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

It’s secured, just not padlocked away like some people would have it.
    [​IMG]

Edit* Blues4U, not sure if that was directed at me, just wanted to clarify.

loudbang likes this.
  12. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Surprised that some of those extinguishers are so small.
    Will they do the job?

13. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

If the fire is small. They all usually start out like that, but it goes downhill from there quickly...

14. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

38 chevy pu mounted low centre of bench seat base behind the floor shifter,hopefully out of the sunlight and sight but I know where it is

15. 5brown1

5brown1

I had one of those crappy glass fuel filters come apart (not unscrew) and spray gas all over the passenger side
    of the car pictured while driving down I-90 in Iowa. Amazingly the car did not start on fire but if it had the
    extinguisher on the passenger side would not have been accessible. Lesson learned - it needs to be accessible
    quickly from the drivers side. Also, get a real fuel filter even it it is not pretty.
    Also, my buddy just had a beautiful 4 wheeler burn up Monday. If he had had an extinguisher he could have
    saved it he said. No insurance on it.

16. I don't have anything current or on this computer. As mentioned in a different thread mine is usually tossed in the floor or wedged between something. I like it in the cab with me because if my rod burns to the ground I still need to be able to do the phoenix thing and rise from the ashes. I.E. if its turnin and burnin forget it and put me out. :D

@Blues4U a little story. Anyone that knows me for any length of time knows that the pass floorboard is where to look. One year at the HAMB Drags someone had a little fire under the hood. Everyone was scrambling around and one of the fellas looked over saw the Pusher, walked over opened the pass door and grabbed the fire extinguisher. Everyone was still scrambling around when he walked up and put the fire out. Then he came and found me and said, "You better do that scrounger thing you do I just used your fire extinguisher." and laughed.

Blues4U, nunattax and norms30a like this.
  17. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I thought it was important to show my fire extinguisher mounting position. My thinking is that if I am in a collision the fire extinguisher should not become a hard steel missile bouncing off my head after it comes off a high mount like a roll bar. Accessibility is an issue and in the event I need to get out of a fire in a hurry (is there any other way?) a Halatron extinguisher in hand might give me a couple extra seconds and get me out without burning up. After that I call a roll back wrecker and my insurance guy.

Expensive? Yes very! Anyone remember the old Bell helmet ads from about 50 years ago? It was something like: "If you have a $10 head then buy a $10 helmet".

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 10, 2020
    BigChief, Shadow Creek and Blues4U like this.
  18. The 5lb Halotron in my '47 is behind the drivers seat on the floor without a mount. It's to big to roll under the seat, with the cone instead of the hose it doesn't move and it's very easy to access.

I'm going to try the Element E50, looks small enough to travel from car to car.

19. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Yes I totally agree. The extinguisher needs to be in the passenger compartment. If you have a fire you don’t have time to open the trunk to grab the extinguisher and stop the fire

20. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^ I feel the same about having one on the passenger side too, might as well be in the trunk.
    Mine is in the trunk anyway laying against the spare tire. Wrong according to most here. If I’m hit in the rear and a fire starts I’m probably not going to be the one who puts it out anyway.
    From what I read here they seemed to be used on someone else’s car fire. The small style one on the Leno video would be the best to me with a magnetic clip right under the dash lip. Easier to get to than a passenger kick panel for sure..