Register now to get rid of these ads!

Jag motor in a Chevy??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Big-Olaf, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Blair

Blair
    from xx

There is a big Jag mailorder house on Broad street in san luis called XK's unlimited. They have everything you would need. They are also a shelby american distributer. They are on the corner of Broad and Fiero lane.

So indeed it would be almost as easy as calling westside. They never have what I need anyway.

2. Bear Metal Kustoms

Bear Metal Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

I know Jason Len (owner of XK's) personally and have a couple of budies that work for him.. Trust me.. It still is not as easy as calling West side for parts....Price is part of the issue also....EVILT

3. wannabewannabe

wannabewannabe

I'd love to hear more about this car. What kind of mods did he have to do to get the Jag mill to fit? It looks like the firewall has been altered. Any more pics of it?

4. Merc63

Merc63

I tend to use Coventry West, out of georgia. Anything I needed for my XJ6 was usually on my doorstep within 2 days, and the prices were no worse than pretty much anything else, and way better than new car parts...

5. Big-Olaf

Big-Olaf
    BANNED

I can get a full rebuild kit from England for about $600 US... not bad as far as I am concerned.....

6. TENSIONER

TENSIONER
    from SEATTLE

I recall seeing a Brizio built modified with a Jag inline 6 decked out with webers. It had good numbers and looked good. It was adapted to a Muncie too. I think it was in streetrodder back in 2000. any one have info on that car?

7. repoguy

repoguy

I've always liked this idea.

Jag 6's make good power, are NOT the mechanical nightmares that people make them out to be, and they look cool.

I actually brought this topic up a long time ago and someone posted a pic of an old 27 or 28 ford roadster that ran a jag 6, and the attached article said that it was the fastest thing in the San Francisco area back in the early or mid 50's when it was on the road. So if anyone starts whining about how it isn't traditional, and how reading about it here on the HAMB hurts their traditional feelings, you can tell 'em to shut their stinkin' cakehole.

8. Do it...... different is GOOD!

9. TENSIONER

TENSIONER
    from SEATTLE

found it...
    it was owned by Carlos Lara of Alberta, Canada
    sure would like to know more about it...

Attached Files:

10. Big-Olaf

Big-Olaf
    BANNED

I wil dig out the magazine that it is in.... That is the car that started me wanting a Jag motor.... I love the way they look, very refined..... And I could give a rat's ass about traditional... I think it looks cool...

11. TENSIONER

TENSIONER
    from SEATTLE

yeah do it man, traditional is for uncreative folk that cant get out of the box. and you and i clearly are not that type. as im sure others are but fear unacceptance kind of like in highschool when everyone cool had to have Air Jordans. go man, go all the way.

12. Bugman

Bugman

You know why the English drink warm beer? Because Lucas made refrigerators too...:D

As mentioned, as long as you don't use factory electrics, you shouldn't have much trouble.

13. repoguy

repoguy

14. junkmonger

junkmonger

When I first read the title, I thought "must be leftovers from some guy putting a SBC in a Jag". My Dad said it was a pretty common practice in the 50's because the Jaguar engines were so unreliable.

I don't think it's a maintainence thing either, since it's the same guy running the SBC as the Jag. Maybe it's the electricals, though, not the engine.:rolleyes:

15. Jimmyz

Jimmyz

Chevy motor in a Jag would make more sence:rolleyes:

16. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

I call bullshit.

Jag sixes are cool.

I bought a 1953 model engine and trans to build a HA/GR around........I just gotta finish dad's truck first.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Big-Olaf

Big-Olaf
    BANNED

if you want to ditch the air cleaner assembly, let me know....

18. AlbuqF-1

AlbuqF-1
    from NM

In high school I had a Rich Friend who conned his dad into buying a '67 XKE roadster. Trust me, there is no sweeter sound on earth than a Jag six getting up on the cams! (not even a flatty;) ). He used to hang with the GTO's and SS396's up to about 100 mph.

19. Dare to be different, go for it. Think of the WOW factor, not to mention the cool sound it will make.:eek:
    My friend was going to built this Pick-em-up with a surplus jag engine, came out of a car which is now powered by a SBC.:rolleyes:
    JT

20. Sorry forgot to atatch picture.

21. bigdog

bigdog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you like it, run it. I'm planning on using a jag six in my '53 Chevy truck custom project when I get back to it(too many projects, not enough time). I plan on using it because: 1- it's a nice looking engine when cleaned up, 2-it maked decent power with some good carbs,3-you don't see 400,00 of them in everybody elses car, 4- I already have one!

22. tysond

tysond

We're putting one it the 26 dodge boattail. Beautiful motor. It's at the engine rebuilders now. I basic stock rebuild is going to come close to $6000aud. We have an e-type triple su manifold, and I am going to make some stainless headers for it.

23. I have a few more pics, but no engine detail pics though:(
    He build this wild machine from a 2-door sedan I think!
    You guys with engine questians should get in touch with DE SOTO and let him get hold of Chuck. I wouldn't be surprised that he'll fill you in on any Jag issues you might have. Chuck is a very nice guy.

Klaus

24. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Repoguy, the article to which you refer was in Rod & Custom. It was about survivor rods from the old days. It's a '26 or '27 roadster sitting in the woods. Sounded like the guy was just letting it fall apart because "he was going to do something with it one day."

-Dave

25. krooser

krooser

If they ask, tell 'em it's an experimental GM Quad 6...