Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Fitting a V8 Flathead into a model A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fordson kro, Apr 17, 2019.

1. Fordson kro

Fordson kro
    from Surrey UK

Hi, Can anyone give me some idea of what would be involved in fitting a V8 flathead engine into a standard model A (be it a coupe / roadster or sedan etc.)...would the standard chassis be sufficient to take the V8 or would it need boxing / strengthening.....is the 4 banger transmission the same fitting as the V8 or would this also need upgrading also would you need to alter the rear end....is it simple to upgrade to juice brakes.... Just curious as to me this would make a real nice sleeper as it were.
    sorry for the dumb questions, but i'm sure there will many of you who have done similar upgrades.
    Many thanks in advance for any feedback / advice..

cheers keith

1930BeachRat likes this.
  2. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

You can get almost all the answers by buying Vern Tardel's book : Hot rod your model "A", as it is an instruction manual for just the question(s) you've asked.

1930BeachRat and patmanta like this.
  3. flatford39

flatford39

You need to get Vern Tardell's book that describes this in great detail. It will show you how to do it.

4. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Probably near close to half ( or, just A LOT) of the build threads here on the HAMB are AV8's. Search for "AV8" and you will find more than you can read in a month.

Pist-n-Broke likes this.

5. B Bay Barn

B Bay Barn

1930BeachRat likes this.
  6. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Vern is the Man!! Met him at the grand national a few years ago, he's a no nonsense blue collar guy!

7. You don't need Tardel's Book. Just go to the Top of this page and on the left side of the header is a magnifying glass icon. Click on it and put in A-V8 then just start reading. You will be shocked at how much Good info is on here with photos along with every combination out there. I bet there is at least 20 builds going on right now on just that.

8. Fordson kro

Fordson kro
    from Surrey UK

Fantastic guy's....many thanks for all the prompt replies.....i just knew this would be the place to get this info...what an amazing website !!

cheers keith

9. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have had my pick on the road 18 years with an unboxed chassis and a stock Model A rear end which bolts strait up to a V8 closed drive gear box. I broke an axle about ten years ago, other than that no problems. It is a strait forward swap. Good luck , & be sure to post pic's. :) 11752565_880708115317810_554346474359318128_n.jpg

LSGUN, IronFord, alchemy and 4 others like this.
  10. belair

belair

You radical visionary, you.

11. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

If you dig around enough, you will likely find some UK AV8 builds too, which may have some specifics that are relevant.

12. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Come to think of it, if you change the title of this thread to FITTING A V8 FLATHEAD INTO A MODEL A (in the UK), you might draw out some of the UK HAMBers to give you some insight, fellowship, and local resources.

1930BeachRat and Texas Webb like this.
  13. Tin Lizzie

Tin Lizzie
    from Ohio

Killer truck! How did you get it to sit like that?

Dago 88 and Pist-n-Broke like this.
  14. He knew what he was doing! Excellent stance.

Dago 88 likes this.
  15. weemark

weemark
    from scotland

no you don't need to box an A chassis if you are using a flathead. they are plenty strong enough for a flattie.

you could fit the banger gearbox to the flattie but better to go with the 3spd or change to another gearbox like a volvo 4spd or a T5.

The std A rear end wont be the most reliable with a flattie, better to change it to a v8 banjo axle.

you can get a bolt on juice brake kit from MT car products http://www.mtcarproducts.com/MODEL-A-KIT.html but if you go to a V8 axle that will have juice brakes on it so you don't need a kit as such, you could just buy front juice brakes.

16. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks "Tin Lizzie", I used a 4" axle with reversed eyes on the springs . the rest is tyre rake. 7.50 x 16 rears & 5.50 x 16 front. :)

17. If you go to a V8 banjo it will be wider and the wheels may hang out a little from the fenders. You could have it narrowed ($). You are also going to need to shorten the torque tube ($). If you keep your foot out of it the Model A rear end should not be a problem.

Charlie Stephens

18. Fordson kro

Fordson kro
    from Surrey UK

Thanks again for all the replies guy's...

19. Using your Foot isn't the issue that causes broken axles, it's the Tire patch on the ground, the dia. of said Tire and how well it stays connected to the Asphalt.