Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects A rebuild from a bad build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by dsiddons, Apr 3, 2019.

1. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Oh my, those pictures are actually scary looking!

Xtrom and classiccarjack like this.
  2. someone on here said "it ain't yours unless it made you dirty" so I'm guessing it will be yours by the time it's done.

3. missysdad1

missysdad1

Making the rear lower won't help the great "stance" this car already has. If anything lower the chassis equally on both ends so the rake angle isn't changed. IMHO it's just right the way it is, channel job and all.

But...before you get to removing much more of the gawdawful mess that's been made of the subrails and floor, be sure to weld in some conduit bracing so that the body does not collapse or twist. It looks like the body is already quite weak and you don't want to make it worse by handling it too roughly without adequate bracing.

There are quite a few examples of channeled cars being built here on the HAMB. It would be good for you to review them before you start constructing a new foundation for your body. There are good ways and there are bad ways and it's handy to know what is what before you get to buying materials, cutting and welding.

And, if it's not already been done, take the time to box the frame while the body's off. The car will no longer have the structural strength of the subrails/stock floor so boxing the frame will help reduce the body's tendency to twist out of shape when going over uneven ground like driveway entrances.

My beater coupster (avitar) had been cut up much like your coupe so I've already been where you're going and have learned some of the pitfalls you'll encounter. Good luck!

dsiddons likes this.
  4. Wheeliedave

Wheeliedave

I agree Rich but I think it is "dangerously" low
    Dave

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The PO should be banned from ever molesting an old car again.
    You are sure taking the right path and fixing bad the correct way and asking questions.
    Hope tou did not pay a premium for the car.
    But now you own it , so it will be done right.

6. Hummmm I wonder ?
    Looks like I’ve seen that work before

gas & guns and dsiddons like this.
  7. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

Looking this thing over a bit I found chrome Arrow Headlamps. At first glance I thought they were just some cheap Chinese stuff. The grill shell I think is a 32’ truck because the insert and shell it all one piece. I think the axle is a old drop also. The body is the biggest challenge. Frame is nice and seems straight and has some cool cast wishbone radius rod mounts. Intake is Weind high rise with 97’s.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

classiccarjack likes this.
  8. rustyrods

rustyrods
    from Dixon,Il.

That's an old school hotrod. Run what you brung. Hang on and scream like a girl !

norms30a likes this.
  9. I love the stance on your hot rod...well the workmanship is very old school for sure...please keep us in the loop as things go along...love the full height top on it...you will be able to actually see stuff when the time comes to drive it...

MikeC

dsiddons likes this.
  10. Hang in there Dave. When its done you will know exactly what you have. I have uncovered some of the same type of sin and evil in a few of the cars I have had over the years. It is a good feeling when its all fixed to know that you have a solid ride under your ass.

dsiddons likes this.
  11. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Hind sight is 20/20.:oops:

12. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's a machine, it can be fixed. Hell, you are like me you will get more enjoyment out of fixing/building this thing than if you had just bought a nice little driver that didn't need you. Save those pictures, someday you will look back and laugh your ass off while you are driving a cool little hot rod.

dsiddons likes this.
  13. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Yeah, you can see a lot of the work is pretty sketchy. The thing that sucks about getting a car in the condition is that usually you pay the price for a running and driving car but wind up doing the same amount of work to fix it as if you bought a non-running shell. I've found it tends to work that way with real estate, too.

dsiddons and 31Vicky with a hemi like this.
  14. put the steering box on top of the frame, and your steering will be good, put in metal floors a section at a time and boom, no more mud on you, grind and weld up the structural cracks and go ridding around.

dsiddons likes this.
  15. haileyp1014

haileyp1014
    from so cal

Hope it came w vasaline

loudbang and dsiddons like this.
  16. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

You are so right! The fixing/building (frustrating at times) is most enjoyable.

Bandit Billy, loudbang and dsiddons like this.