Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical EZ Wiring turn signal switch question

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by sexy2baguy, Apr 16, 2019.

1. sexy2baguy

sexy2baguy
    from Cincinnati

I bought a bolt on turn signal

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway-Standard-Turn-Signal-Switch,7012.html

to use on my 46 Merc convertible. I installed an EZ wiring 12 circuit harness. I want the light on the end of the switch to light up. Instructions say to connect it to a flasher prong. Flashers are built into the board on the EZ wiring harness. I connected the wire from the switch to the flasher wire that powers the switch and the little light come on and flashes, but stay on, just dimmer when the flasher is not engaged. Do I have to pull the board and try to tie a wire in from the back of the flasher or can I add a resistor to the end of the light wire where I want to connect it to the flasher power to the switch? Called EZ wiring yesterday, nobody answered....

2. If the switch is like mine, you have to have it grounded. Scrape off some of the paint and make sure it is grounded to the steering column or if you are not using a metal steering column you need to run a grounding wire to it.

3. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Not just any prong. Either dig into your wiring kit to see what you exactly tapped into or just go external with another flasher. Look at wire 6 and 7 and where instruction states to place them at flasher.
    https://static.speedwaymotors.com/pdf/Early-Auto-Turn-Signal-Switch-Wiring-Diagram-91062850.pdf
    And yes, check grounding of switch as well. A test light connected to a hot source and touch body of switch to see if ground is present.

4. sexy2baguy

sexy2baguy
    from Cincinnati

Switch is grounded. Turn signals work fine. Are you saying to add an external flasher just for the switch light.

5. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

OK miss read your issue. Skip grounding. Is flasher in the harness a type required for the turn switch?

6. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

requires a 3 prong flasher. Put a jumper in existing flasher plug (two prong) in panel and add 3 prong flasher. Have installed a few of these-look at the diagram--shows 3 prong flasher needed. Just installed one last week.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  7. goldmountain

goldmountain

It needs a 3 prong flasher. If you want to be neat, replace the plastic two wire end with a three wire one that is normally used to plug in a headlight bulb. You don't need the second flasher.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

olscrounger likes this.
  8. I also agree on the 3 prong flasher. I just had to rewire my fuse block for a 3 wire the other day when I installed a turn signal switch in my 48. The instructions said a 3 wire is the only way to make it work.

9. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

As above, 3 prong flasher AND grounded. Terminal "P" goes to it.

10. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We have done a few of these aftermarket turn signal switches now and just wire them up like @Johnny Gee show in the speedway wiring link. It is much easier than trying to link the switch into the EZ wire kit. So the flasher cans in the EZ wire kit become redundant. Make sure you don’t have too much paint on your column for a good earth for the green turn light.