Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 30 plymouth coupe build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by JL Kustoms, Mar 30, 2019.

1. JL Kustoms

JL Kustoms

so a little while back i purchased a car off ebay . the owner wasnt 100%sure what exactly it was. i did some resaerch and i think its almost positive i have a 1930 plymouth on my hands. judging by the pictures i saw i was confident that the body was in decent enough shape and for the price i figured it was worth the risk. so on weekend me and my dad grabbed the trailer and drove from chicago to the south western tip of south dakota.... in a snow storm. s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600.jpg i know it loks like a pile and it kind of is but its suprisingly not rusty and i dig the oval back window and its just cool because its different.

2. Very cool, congrats! I hope you have the drivers door.......may be tough to find. Decklids are like hens teeth to, but not terrible hard to build. I built one for my '31 PA.

3. Beautiful Iron

Beautiful Iron
    from Upstate NY

Definitely a good starting point, What are your plans for it?

4. JL Kustoms

JL Kustoms

my first order of buisness was too get the front axle ready IMG_0061.jpg i got this 39 lincoln front axle from a guy named matt hes on the hamb as iron trap. i like this one becuase it has the self energizing brakes already. i had to get rid of the wishbone that was on it so i can use a 42-48 split bone i have
    .that turned out to be quite difficult.the bolts holding the bone to the axle were so seaized the only way to get them out was to turn them into chips. i had to cut the ends off the wishbone and cut the axle in half so i could get it into the milling machine to machine them out. i need to narrow it 7 inches anyway because this axle is very wide so i didnt matter. and i was able to save the ends so i can just weld them back onto the wishbone. IMG_0059.jpg IMG_0060.jpg so i centered the quill on the part using a wobbler and used a scisor jack and a fixture clamp to get is flat side t side and checked it with my indicator. them machined it as though it was one solid piece(which at this point it basically was.after that was done i faced off the ends to prepaire it to get welded back together IMG_0062.jpg

5. JL Kustoms

JL Kustoms

i work at a custom shop and do custom sheet metal so i can make a decklid and doors from scratch. its going to take me a long long time and there is going to be alot of scrapped parts along the way but i can do it. most people dont want to pay the labor for coachbuilt partslike that so its definatly more challeneging than what i do on a dailt basis but i like a challenge. im always looking for ways to push myself

6. JL Kustoms

JL Kustoms

very mild chop im thinking 2 inches the roofline already looks really nice so i just want to take it to the next level. i have a 390fe with a 6x2 manifold im going to put in it. take the fenders off make it low and loud

slv63 likes this.
  7. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

I love the Plymouth back windows, the grille and shell in all the early plymouths really looked sweet. Only part I see is finding parts.

8. F&J

F&J

Might be newer than 30 ? as I thought the 28,29,30 Ply inner door panel structure should be all wood? The oval rear window was a mid year thing as to when it first appeared, and perhaps also when it went to rectangular. Hamber @31Dodger would know better than what I can recall.

9. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Looks like the hard to make or find parts are with the car...
    Gave away a complete [desoto ? subfloor] last fall... had it for years...
    Used part of its left quarter to patch both my '30 Sportster quarters...
    IMO... I would remove the rear window, chop it, weld the window back in...

Texas Webb and Frankie47 like this.
  10. JL Kustoms

JL Kustoms

thats exaclty my plan ive seen pictures of one with the rear window chopped and it looks like a football totally kills one of the coolest parts of the car i think

Frankie47 likes this.
  11. JL Kustoms

JL Kustoms

got the axle sand blasted, narrowed 7 inches fixtured it up on the fab table and welded it back together then gave her the old slug cutter treatment. i dig it IMG_0068.jpg IMG_0069.jpg

12. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

Here is a shot of a 30 Plymouth Sedan we did where there is no direct comparison except for maybe the windshield side posts. It looks a if your top extends a bit past the vertical posts (as does the sedan) and if the visor was there the cars might be a match. Your coupe is more complete and in better shape than the sedan was so there is definitely hope.

truck 031.jpg

Nailhead A-V8 likes this.
  13. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

Please keep rolling along... What driveline do you have in mind? That thing is screaming HEMI!!!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. cederholm

cederholm

Cool! Love that back window.

~ Carl

15. JL Kustoms

JL Kustoms

ive got a 390fe and i have some super cool rare speed parts for it

classiccarjack likes this.
  16. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

I really like the FE Ford... My favorite restoration was a 1968 GT500KR, 4 speed, with the 428 FE set up. Man that thing was fun to drive!!! The poor rear tires got no mercy...

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app