Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects V12 JOSH SHAW SPRINT CAR

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by RAREBIKE, Jun 2, 2015.

1. RAREBIKE

RAREBIKE
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, Jim Huseby, Oak Grove, Missouri just east of you.

Stogy likes this.
  2. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

looks great! keep doing your thing! were watching.

Stogy likes this.
  3. panheadguy

panheadguy
    from S.E. WI

Sweet car. Was the frame originally an Essex?

4. RAREBIKE

RAREBIKE
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Frame came from Josh Shaw of Shaw Hot Rods in Cincinnati.

5. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

FINALLY! THIS IS THE THREAD I'VE BEEN HOPING FOR.

Hi. I love the build project of your Shaw bodied roadster. I met Mr. Shaw shortly after I started a similar champ car replica build. I was surprised that you are doing some of the same changes I am incorporating in my build - stretched wheelbase, C4 trans, hairpin control arms, low(er) cost wheels. I look forward to seeing your project progress and wish you continued success as your project nears completion. Maybe our paths will cross when our cars get running and we can do some hot laps on some mid west dirt track. Good luck.

6re6

Atwater Mike and wicarnut like this.
  6. Well I am trying to think of something negative to say, Hmmmmnnnnn let me see. Well there is the, . . . uh what about the . . . :confused:

Nope can't think if a negative thing to say. Damn the luck.

Smooth project, I'm watching this one for sure. :cool: to the Nth exponent of :cool:

7. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Very nice work! Offten one side of spring{rightside was mounted with out a shackel/called a deadprech{ this was so a panhard type bar was not needed] ,also at the center of spring there were wedages put in for adjustmint=cocked spring more lbs to right. The photo exsample showen of a rear end post#30/has locator bars mounted to frame wrong{ should not be flat on frame end of bar,but up n down like axle end of bar if that type of set up is used.

wicarnut likes this.
  8. Sprinters like dragsters or Indy cars or you name it got/get tuned per track conditions. Different suspension setup, tires, even gears and engine tune.

Doesn't mean that you car can't or won't stay static in its tune, that is entirely up to the usage of the car.

dana barlow likes this.
  9. RAREBIKE

RAREBIKE
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Picture is of the rear end of Speedway Motors Tribute T, this will be a street driven car not a race car. Just wanted something different to show up in at the local car show.

dana barlow likes this.
  10. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Just discovered your build and subscribed. Looking great so far.

11. I kind of guessed by the brakes that you were going to drive it. I think the multiple shocks are cool by the way. It should make people guess and that is almost always a good thing. ;)

dana barlow and Stogy like this.
  12. spiritof67

spiritof67

Righteous car and design, no doubt.

13. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Any updates of recent progress RAREBIKE?

14. RAREBIKE

RAREBIKE
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not much progress, damn work gets in the way. Also I got a little sidetracked with an off the wall engine build I have going. Lincoln V12, Finned aluminum twin plug heads, two Porsche distributors for their twin plug racing engines, and now a Latham supercharger to put on top. Looking to mount three side draft Weber 45 DCOE per side (four will be just for looks) on the Supercharger plenum so I can have six air horns sticking out. I will make some picture worthy progress soon I hope.

Attached Files:

15. Asphalt Demon

Asphalt Demon
    from Australia

Wow ! I love this build,i,m building a similar car too but with a flatty v8. I also have a 41 lincoln v12 and have been thinking of alternate ignition systems ,please post details of your ignition and how you are doing it?Any details on the v12 would be very much appreciated,the head details ect thanks Johnny

16. RAREBIKE

RAREBIKE
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A little bit of progress.
    IMG_0217.JPG IMG_0219.JPG IMG_0220.JPG IMG_0213.JPG IMG_0214.JPG IMG_0215.JPG IMG_0216.JPG IMG_0241.JPG IMG_0242.JPG IMG_0243.JPG IMG_0244.JPG IMG_0245.JPG IMG_0246.JPG

catdad49, loudbang, cactus1 and 7 others like this.
  17. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

It will Definately have a very Destink exhaust note

loudbang and dana barlow like this.
  18. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

That's going to be a great car. I've been into sprinters, new and old for decades. Man! I can just hear that V-12 screaming off the 4th corner at the dirt mile at the Indy Fairgrounds! Would the rules of that era have allowed that 14" wheelbase extension? Doesn't matter. Great car. That V-12 is cool squared. Carry on and good luck.

loudbang likes this.
  19. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I just found this thread, and it immediately brought to mind Gene Novotny, who campaigned a Lincoln V12 powered sprinter in the late forties and early fifties. Wyoming, South Dakota and Nebraska being part of his racing scene, along with an annual journey up Pike's Peak. Very cool.

Jet96, loudbang, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  20. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Progressing nicely Tim.

loudbang likes this.
  21. I just stumbled on to this thread, and I'm hooked! Mainly because I have all the makings for a banger version of this: Original aluminum body (tail, cowl and nose with grille), Essex frame, modified Franklin steering, V8-60 axle, hubs with 16" knockoffs, and an Alexander OHV banger with full oil, front drive pump, mag drive, cut down AR flywheel and tranny.
    I needed some info on the body mount skeleton, and your pics are a great help.
    I really like the round frame nose! Did you fab that from rectangular tubing, or flat plate?
    One of the holdups to putting the bare frame together. Please keep the updates coming.

loudbang, cactus1 and dana barlow like this.
  22. Ron Plumlee

Ron Plumlee

It is incredible to see a few folks doing old timey sprinters, and this is typical of the independent thinking back in the day. If you DO want to be authentic and especially if you plan to run some laps you will want to have a way to jack weight. "Normal" way we did it back then was a center bolt on the front perch and jacking bolts on each side of that center pivot. Easy for a guy with your skills to do. LOVE this car, great work!

loudbang likes this.
  23. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Stunning thread... When Josh Shaw's name came up I scurried to the first page...
    Treasure trove of pix, all the 'right stuff'.
    V8 60 tube caught my eye, Bell steering wheel...your choice of wheels/tires is admirable, as the V12 and stretched wheelbase.
    A friend here (Lem Tolliver, local Sprint pilot/builder) stretched a Mike Maxwell 4-bar sprint car chassis 12", (pump-injected SBC) to drive on the street. Beautiful finish...
    Police were 'baffled', as usual...

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  24. RAREBIKE

RAREBIKE
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Again the credit for the welding goes to Jeff at J2 Speed and Custom, https://j2speedandcustom.com. A very intuitive and talented individual who turns my ideas into reality. Here's a few of the finished exhaust. IMG_0259.JPG IMG_0260.JPG IMG_0261.JPG IMG_0262.JPG IMG_0263.JPG IMG_0264.JPG IMG_0265.JPG IMG_0266.JPG IMG_0267.JPG IMG_0268.JPG IMG_0269.JPG IMG_0270.JPG IMG_0271.JPG IMG_0272.JPG IMG_0273.JPG IMG_0274.JPG IMG_0275.JPG IMG_0278.JPG IMG_0279.JPG IMG_0280.JPG IMG_0281.JPG IMG_0282.JPG IMG_0283.JPG IMG_0284.JPG IMG_0285.JPG

Jet96, catdad49, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  25. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

Terrific build! Great to have a surplus $2500 +/- lying around for something non-functional, "just for looks"! (Well, I guess that arguably applies to just about everything we do!)

26. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You will post a video with special attention to sound....pretty please!...Love this!

loudbang likes this.
  27. RAREBIKE

RAREBIKE
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Latham V12 engine project went to Brazil along with the Twin Plug heads and 6 other V12 engines awhile back, I regret selling now but can only work on so many projects at a time.

dana barlow and loudbang like this.
  28. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

I apologize for going off on a tangent, but this brings up questions I've been trying to get answered for years:

1) Why were Essex frames so popular? Some have told me that the frame kick-up for the front axle were ideal for the rear, were then utilized backwards, and the frames were long enough to remove the rear (now the front) kick-up. I have trouble believing that there were few other frames available that would have served just as well.

2) What was the attraction to Franklin steering? I believe the Pitman shaft still needed to be extended; weren't there many other boxes with the correct rotation that could have been modified just as easily?

I'm aware that Alexander made OHV conversions for various small British 4 cylinder engines (e.g., 1172cc Ford); are you using one of these? Or did they also build heads for the "big" engines, like the Model "A"?

29. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

Looks to me like there are Heim joints on the chassis end of the links, with bolts properly supported on top and bottom, in double shear. Heim joints have substantial angular movement capability, well beyond that to which these will be subjected.

30. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Your right that a Heim can work some in its angular capability,but it's very poor engineering to use that as main movement. The photo had them wrong,an was only used as a idea of what was going to be done to a cool race car build. Best time to help with ideas,is before hard work is done. Heim's are a bit new for this fun new/old style race car build,but sure looks like it will be fun.

loudbang likes this.