Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1930 Model A pickup or is it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wallyringo, Apr 15, 2019.

1. wallyringo

wallyringo

I went to buy a 1930 Model A closed cab pick up cab yesterday. It was chopped and the price was right. I showed up to buy it and discovered it was a 30-31 sedan turned into a pick up. The roof wasn’t welded on or the top of the doors. I was disappointed it wasn’t what it was listed as but still like it enough to buy it. I’m looking for suggestions on how to straighten it up or square it up so I can add cross bracing. The passenger door is tack welded shut but not the drivers side. What`s a good spot to take measurements before I add the cross bracing? Thanks guys.

Attached Files:

The37Kid and Okie Pete like this.
  2. greener200

greener200

better get a compass , looks like un-charted territory...... Not for the faint of heart,,,,goodluck !

3. wallyringo

wallyringo

Thanks greener200.

4. junkman8888

junkman8888

My advice is to find a nice, square, unbent frame, bolt the cowl to the frame and then work your way backwards (or you could build a "jig" that would mimic the section of frame that would be under the body).
    Always measure from the same reference points so measuring errors don't stack up.
    Make cardboard templates so the left and right window openings match.
    Before you get started rebuild the door hinges, and align the doors to the opening. One trick is to use temporary hinge pins made from proper sized drill stem, makes pulling the doors on and off easier.
    You will be amazed how sloppy factory tolerances were back then. Because of that, make the opening fit the doors, it's easier than modifying the doors to fit the opening.
    Looks like a fun project, best of Luck.

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

Hope the top hinges are there. Is the B pillar and latch there? If you do set it on an A chassis to align things be sure to get the wood block set. Bob

6. wallyringo

wallyringo

thanks for the advice junkman8888 i will try this and post my results. thanks.

7. wallyringo

wallyringo

top hings are gone, the latches in the B pillar work. thanks

8. 31Apickup

31Apickup

30-31 pickups use the same doors as tudors. If you can find a proper pu cab back it can be made into a pickup correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

wallyringo and alchemy like this.