Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Bonneville on my mind

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by A Boner, Apr 14, 2019.

1. A Boner

A Boner

image.png l've only been to Speedweek 2 times. The first time there (2003), the "Phoenix" a diesel truck was running, and I mean running! Maybe someone can add the details, but it had like 2 superchargers and 4 turbochargers and was running way over 200 mph! I think it's in a museum now. A gigantic streamlined chunk of vintage metal, "rolling coal" (looked like a locomotive) all the way.....what a sight! Anyone know the details of this marvelous machine? Any pictures or videos out there of it hauling ass down the salt?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  2. Saw some footage several years ago.but don't remember where.

3. Blown Red Ram

Blown Red Ram
    from Kelso,Wa.

Watched a YouTube video of the truck getting pulled out of storage in Grants Pass Oregon. A son of one of the partners gives a good talk how cool it was to be a kid going to the salt flats with that truck. A few early Fords in the background too. The two partners passed on years ago and it's just sat. Sad to see it go to a museum and not get to run anymore.

4. RDR

RDR

Bob Slagle, a Log Trucker from Grants Pass, Oregon built and owned that old '43 KB International.
    It had 2- 8V92 Detroits (16V92 ..1472 ) and Bob made over 200 before he passed in 1998.
    Carl Heap his partner continued to run well over 270 and has passed away also.
    Innovative characters and good old boys. Saw Bob at Myrmos Machine Shop one day and the 80's Chevy pickup he was driving had a V6-71 Detroit and a 10 speed Fuller trans.
    Early on picture before it morphed into a streamliner...
    For safety he had skis just below the scrub line which you can see in the picture. Bob blew a tire once and skated through the lights faster than before..He says, " You know what that means....I'm coming back next year with no front tires !" lol

[​IMG]

5. A Boner

A Boner

Cool old pic. Guess that's how Bonneville vehicles get upgraded year after year. Going 270 in a big chunk of metal like that is really hauling ass!

6. Mike Moreau

Mike Moreau

Sorry, no videos, but I can add some human interest info. I ran full Moon discs on my street only 55 F100 for my first trip to the salt in 1998. Changed wheels later but kept the discs. In 2003 I took all 4 discs to Speed Week and had as many drivers I could sign them with a Sharpie. I approached a lady near the Phoenix and she pointed out the driver, Carl Heap. She said he was ill and this was probably his last trip to Speed Week. She though he would get a kick out of signing some Moon discs. It seemed to make her happy. Seeing it run was something to behold. The push truck was no slouch either. Rumor was it ran in the low 12s at the drags. I gave all the discs to friends over the years and kept one for myself. Thanks for inquiring about the Phoenix, Gave me a reason to go back and look for Heap's signature and revive some memories.

7. rusty valley

rusty valley

i saw it run many times in the 80's. black smoke and big noise all the way down the course. it was somthin to see

8. Todd553

Todd553

Here's a couple. 279mph!

R A Wrench, a boner and Montana1 like this.
  9. Todd553

Todd553

10. rusty valley

rusty valley

all i can say too, is WOW !!!!

11. The37Kid

The37Kid

Great truck! Every year it ran it got coverage here on the HAMB. Bob

12. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

This is what makes Bonneville and Speedweek so great. Seeing the Phoenix run years ago was priceless true back yard Hotrodding at its best.

13. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

14. RDR

RDR

True..
    Friend and cohort of Slagle and Heap...George Nielsen of Junction City, Oregon built the Peterbilt (Phoenix push truck/ drag truck/ salt flat truck) that made records and later built another salt racer heavy hauler that held the record for 3 axle highway trucks called "Ye Olde Dragon" which I believe is in the same museum today..

[​IMG]

dwollam and Mike Moreau like this.
  15. A Boner

A Boner

Got goosebumps just watching the video!
    Thanks.

16. rusty valley

rusty valley

me too, i never saw it when it was all aerodynamic, it was cool when you could see all the plumbing involved in the two motors....wow

17. I'll never forget Carl's face when he made the last run in the Phoenix. When he passed us on the way to impound his grin was ear to ear. I was saddened to hear he passed away not long after that. It was always a big deal when the big truck made s run.

18. I was here in '92...

jimmy six likes this.