Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods The value of build photos

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by denis4x4, Apr 15, 2019.

1. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Was having difficulty in installing the banger in my Zipper. Went to my photo file and discovered that the motor mounts were swapped side to side. I have over 450 photos showing detail stored on an old Mac Pro in the shop and refer to them all the time. Also have photo files on several house remodels that have proven invaluable. An old tablet like an iPad might even be better as you can use it to take photos instead of a phone.

Stogy likes this.
  2. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Yep, always helps. Good for the resale too, showing what you did. Gary

Stogy likes this.
  3. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Take it from me and back up your photo files on a seperate storage device.
    I have many build photos in photo pergatory due to crashed hard drives (2).:mad::mad:

jnaki, Chavezk21, nunattax and 2 others like this.
  4. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I back them up on an external hard drive that is just for photography.

Stogy likes this.

5. squirrel

squirrel

I back them up on three external hard drives, one is stored in the safe deposit box. And they're also all on google (the mysterious cloud), just in case.

Just last week we were fighting sewer issues....the photos I needed were in the photo box, from the year before I started taking digital pictures (20 years ago!)

jnaki and Stogy like this.
  6. :rolleyes: I don’t care! Taken out of context , that is funny !!!

I had an o/t 72 Bonneville some years ago big block cat all original a perfect example of a museum piece.
    Had it a couple summers and wanted the next fun car, put it up for sale .
    A guy was interstellar and wanted to come by noon Saturday...... ok.... kinda screws up my day but sure, for the sake of the sale come by.
    He came by crawled all over the car under the dash etc etc.
    The just walked down the driveway to his car.
    Followed him down and asked what he thought?
    “ cool car! I’ve been restoring one for a few years and forgot how some of it went together!!!”:mad:
    I.could.have.killed.him!

Pics are great to remember and if you have done a proper job on the car warrant the price you expect.

Stogy likes this.
  7. evintho

evintho

I use Imgur for photo hosting and all those photos are on my laptop, also. In addition, everything is backed up to an external hard drive. $50-$60 will get you an external hard drive the size of a wallet with a terrabyte or two. More space than you'll ever use for photos.

8. fordflambe

fordflambe

I'm blowing apart, cleaning, and reassembling a late 40's GM convertible top frame as we speak. I would be lost without all the pics I have taken before and during disassembly. Ditto on back-up comments!

9. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

What I find funny is how many guys I have come across who don't have even one photo of any of the cars they have ever owned.

Stogy likes this.
  10. Not that I have personally needed to refer to all the build photos of the Ranch Wagon but I am happy I chronicled my efforts, I have been able to help others with things I did that could benefit fellow members with there wagons, a lot of things I figured out how to recreate that are no longer available and in having visual images I have been able to help ease some of the headaches. HRP

fordflambe likes this.
  11. squirrel

squirrel

I have pics of a few of them

old cars.jpg

jnaki, ramblin dan, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  12. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

You have good taste Squirrel,

13. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

I take pictures as I take things apart. Strangely they never show what I need to see when I have a question during re assembly.

Stogy and squirrel like this.
  14. BJR

BJR

Squirrel is a show off! :p:D And I am jealous.

15. deucemac

deucemac

I made a build diary of the roadster in my avatar. Just for myself. It came in handy in a different way than usual. I taught auto mechanics to inmates at a prison here in California for the last 15 years of my career. Some inmates are eager to learn but all too many can be know it al wise guys. I would be explaining a principle or procedure and often get told that wouldn't work or I didn't know what I was talking about. When that happened, the complainer and I would go to my office where I had the build on my computer. I could show how and why what I said worked. I had everything from hauling the bare frame home in the back of my El Camino to driving it out of the garage on its maiden voyage, plus video clips of driving it many places. I covered engine, transmission, and rear end overhaul. Plumbing, wiring, brakes, steering, suspension, laying out pieces to be fabricated, first start up, everything but upholstery. I would drive it to work on occasion and tell my students to go to the baseball field at such a time. I would drive by so that they could see that I could talk the talk AND walk the walk so to speak. When I began the build diary, I didn't realize what a great teaching tool it would become. After that, I documented the LA Roadsters meets, GNRS, Bonneville, El Mirage, rod runs, and sprint car racing. All used to teach, inform, and reinforce how things were used on the "outside". As time went on and word spread on the yard, I got less challenges and more willingness to learn. All from an idea I got to document my 32 roadster build for my own later reference. It really works because over the years, former students , on parole and finished their term seek me out at many of the shows and runs I shared with them. Whooda thunk it!

Sergeant82d and '51 Norm like this.
  16. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

taking photos with actual cameras is more traditional.

jnaki likes this.
  17. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Or you could have always called up Darryl, He would have loved chatting and setting you straight.