Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Pate TX Swap Meet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lake_harley, Apr 15, 2019.

1. lake_harley

lake_harley

I'm considering a road trip to the Pate TX Swap Meet that runs April 25-27. Since it's a Thursday to Saturday event I would be curious what days might be good to attend since I'd only plan on being there one, or perhaps 2 days. Are the lion's share of venders there from the beginning, or do a lot more come in for Friday or Saturday? It's going to be about a 1,300 mile round trip so I'd like to make the most out of it. I just don't think my 66 year young body and legs could take walking around for three days, and NO, I would never consider one of the electric scooters!

Thanks

Lynn

2. alchemy

alchemy

Lynn, every swap meet needs to be attended on the first day. At sunrise if possible. If you are just looking for cheap stuff, not rare stuff, you could maybe wait til the last day.

3. lake_harley

lake_harley

You mean I have to get up early? o_O I thought going the first day would be best, but starting on Thursday I wondered if there would be a lot of venders not arriving until Friday. I guess I'll plan on Thursday and a good portion of Friday.

You going, alchemy? I want to be 20' ahead of you if you are, otherwise all the good parts will be picked over ahead of me. ;)

Lynn

4. Typically, Friday is the best. Most vendors are set up. Some vendors leave by Saturday noon. Most vendors actually arrive on Wednesday and sell to each other.

dan griffin likes this.

5. manyolcars

manyolcars

Vendors are there Wednesday and I recommend that you be there too. Or Tuesday late,but theres lots of walking thru empty spaces. One year there was only 5 dropped axles. I got all of them and didnt find any more. Also note that next years Chickasha swapmeet will their last one.

6. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. Although I cannot attend this year I am with the group that helps set up the shelters at the gates and then we work the gates during the week. If you go Wen. morning there will be some vendors setting up but still a lot of empty vendor area. I starts to get busy Wen. afternoon and Thursday but the bulk of the vendors arrive Thursday afternoon & Friday morning. You will be back tracking a lot if you go before the bulk of the 8,000+ vendors get set up.
    If sales are slow Saturday some vendors will break down and leave.
    Thursday is the official set up day although some do arrive earlier.
    Thrusday afternoon thru Saturday Noon will have the most vendors. It is a lot of walking and everything except the public parking is on asphalt. Wear a big hat with a tie down.
    Jimmie

loudbang and stillrunners like this.
  7. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Word of advice?
    Rent a swap space and park inside.
    Worth the cost just in steps saved plus the bonus of having your refreshments handy and the ability to have a place to rest if those old legs need it.

loudbang and stillrunners like this.
  8. lake_harley

lake_harley

Thanks, everyone for the info and tips. So, even though the meet doesn't officially start until Thursday I'd be able to get in on Wednesday? I've never rented a swap space for the purpose of having a "home base", but it sounds like a good suggestion. I'll have to take a look at the website for details and might consider that. Likely I'll be running solo, so at the very least I'd plan on taking a two-wheel dolly or borrowing a "Radio Flyer" wagon. I've lugged a number of things out of swap meets in the past that have gotten really heavy by the time I've gotten them to my Tahoe.

Lynn

9. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

One of the good things about Pate is that they haul parts out to your vehicle for you so no lugging. Also if you do have trouble walking I’d really suggest a scooter, this is a big meet and hard to walk in a day.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

10. Dennis D

Dennis D

I went two years ago and was used to doing a lot of walking. I rented a scooter for the second day I was there. That was a first for me, but there was no way I could have walked the rest of the meet on the second day. D

11. fordflambe

fordflambe

Been going with buds for over 25 years (started at old "Pate" in Cresson). The last few years at Ft Worth, it has grown significantly in size. Talking with one of the workers two years ago, if you walk each row, end-to-end, one time, you will walk over 8 miles. Also, you need to know that vendors like me rent additional spaces inside to park our cars/trucks so if you walk around, you will quickly get frustrated at all of the areas where there are bunches of parked cars, not parts. Scooters are $75.00/day and well worth it if you want to cover it all. Scooters also ease the frustration of having to go by all the parked vehicles. Vendors begin dragging in early in the week and they immediately begin swapping between themselves. Public begins coming in, first a few in Thursday, more on Friday, but Saturday morning is normally the busiest public day. And all of that depends on weather. The better the weather, the more foot traffic. It is officially supposed to run thru Sunday but a lot of vendors begin breaking down and leaving on Saturday. If you wait till Saturday afternoon, you will miss a lot. They stop all driving inside (except for scooters) at 9:00am and dont open it back up for driving until 4:00pm. If you change your mind and about the scooter, you should go to the Pate website and look for the Scooter rental link, and reserve one. Every year i have someone stop me wanting to know where to rent a scooter. You will thank yourself if you use one. This is a big swap meet, lots of junk, lots of good stuff, you will see it all.............Hope you have a good time there. You will be telling your Mo. buddies about it. i guarantee.

12. lake_harley

lake_harley

I'm not getting particularly defensive, but have to defend my pride a bit, I have no trouble walking but I do know that a person can cover a LOT of ground in a day or two. It certainly sounds and looks to be a huge swap meet.

Regarding them hauling parts, I guess it's like I've seen at other swap meets, people cruising around with side-by-side ATV's and maybe small trailers hauling parts out for tips?

Lynn

13. 60 Special

60 Special
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

I went last year and got there late Tuesday afternoon. Wednesday was pretty slow and it started to pick up a little on Thursday. My opinion (and everybody has one) would be to show up no earlier than Thursday afternoon and stay through Friday. I walked 15 miles during the time I was there!

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I went to the swap at the museum grounds several times in the 70's and thought that was a lot of walking when I was 45 years younger than I am now. I'd have to be one of the old farts on a scooter now.

dan griffin, stillrunners and belair like this.
  15. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

ATV's and trailers is correct, I've never seen them ask for or take a tip but I'm sure they appreciate it.

16. Actually it's golf carts and trailers. Tipping is not necessary.

17. alchemy

alchemy

Lynn, I like to rent a spot inside a swap meet nowadays too. For $25 bucks or so, my brother and I can have a front row seat (box) to all the good stuff. We usually fill a pickup with parts, so it saves us 10 miles of shoe leather instead of carrying parts out the gates.

18. 8,000 spaces is a bunch on asphalt and maybe a few on the dirt if they do that again. If you decide on Wednesday you can actually do a little driving around in your vehicle as it's a little lax or has been on that day. Go ahead and reserve a go scooter for Thursday or for Friday if you get a chance - they do go fast and would be a back up plan for tired feet.
    Have been selling best on Wednesday/Thursday as buyers do come out to buy. Lots of lookers on Friday so most venders are kinda beat - or beat up - so leave on Saturday like was said. I will be at the end of row 5 and 6 - spaces 656/657 with some stuff setting up on Wednesday.
    Don't fer get the weather - not looking to good for the week at the moment.

19. The shack to buy spaces usually has a long line at day break on Wednesday - so if you want a space they are $45.00 this year at the gate so to speak.

20. two couped up

two couped up
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from pa.

Can you camp over night in the parking area or are you told to leave at the days end?

21. fordflambe

fordflambe

I've had buds stay inside the swap meet area in enclosed trailer (in our spots). I have never stayed inside but i know there will be several motor homes inside. There is also a large camping area in the outside parking area. First come, first serve for those spots and No hook-ups as far as I know. They also have restroom/showers on the south west end and same buds used them to freshen up for the new day. They have public bo-johns positioned in several places. If you see a bo-john that say "Private" on the door, they are rented by people renting swap meet spots and are for their personal use (you will probably get fussed at if you try to use one of those).

Hope this helps a little.

22. Roothawg

Roothawg

They killed it. It's their greed that did them in.

23. fordflambe

fordflambe

OK, so I'm assuming you attended, what is the verdict?

24. lake_harley

lake_harley

Yes, I drove down with two friends. Lots and lots of parts. Walked the grounds for two days and feel I covered it pretty completely. Bought a few things but didn't find what I actually went looking for and that's OK. I just wish it, and other swap meets, would (could) be limited to active vendors selling car parts. Lots of yard and rummage sale stuff, non-vendor parking, and encampments that make the swap meet take up a lot of room but adds nothing to the meet. I don't know how swap meets could be limited and policed, and there are probably a lot of people who wouldn't want it any other way. The facility and access is great. Despite my personal opinions I say "hats off" to the organization that puts Pate together!

Lynn

loudbang likes this.