Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Model a on 33-34 rails?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by ChattyMatty, Feb 8, 2019.

1. ChattyMatty

ChattyMatty
    from la mesa

Yes, searched with all the stings I could think of.

Back in my college days (and before ebay) I worked for a lit vendor (if you went to Pomona or Vets anytime in the 90's I was the young guy at the big red beer truck full of manuals) and one of the perks of that gig besides being paid to talk cars all day long was perusing every manual or vintage mag known to man at lunch hour. Long story short, I am convinced I remember a Model A or Deuce channeled over 33-34 rails in the very early days of the small mags like Hop Up and such... this tickle anyone's memory? Hoping for a pic.

2. goldmountain

goldmountain

According to the magazine article, this one is on a '34 frame. However, magazines have been known to be wrong. Scan-190208-0001.jpg

Nailhead A-V8 likes this.
  3. Can’t recall the one you speak of, but check out Jimmy White’s hemi coupe! I believe that’s on 34 rails

cactus1 likes this.
  4. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Nailhead A-V8 and cactus1 like this.

5. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

6. ChattyMatty

ChattyMatty
    from la mesa

Just saw that thread this morning. That black one is closer to the image I had in my head. If I'm not just completely jumbling things up it was a dark fenderless car. Thanks guys :)

7. goldmountain

goldmountain

I submitted a photo to that other model A/ 34 thread currently going. It is from the Peteren "Model A Handbook" magazine from 1963. Upon further looking in the magazine, I quote: "I purchased a '31 Model A for $45.00 and proceeded to chop the top. This was my first experience with welding, and therefore I ran into my first serious problem.
    However, I succeeded in completing the top-chopping project after almost bungling the job. With more confidence in my ability, I tackled the job of channeling the body. But before I had this half finished, I decided to go to a heavier frame. I found a '34 Ford frame which answered this purpose, but then I ran into a second serious problem. I had to shorten the frame and driveshaft, split the firewall, and stretch the body over the wider frame. After accomplishing this, I discovered that replacing the door was a real problem,
    Installing a 1955 Chevy V8 engine presented no serious problems, but the clutch linkage created some difficulty because of the swing-type pedals which I wanted to install. Then came the fenders; this was my last serious problem. With my 8" channeling of the body, I had to raise the rear fender wells in the body and widen the rear fenders to cover the 15 -inch Lincoln reversed wheels.
    The front fenders were salvaged from the junk pile and completely reshaped; they were cut and bent and fitted with a new flange to fit the frame, and then 3/16 -inch rod was used to form a bead to contour with the headlight brackets and shocks, and finally metal was added to the rear inside edge of the fenders to form the contour with the body and the running boards."
    There you have it - a fifty year old first hand account of this particular swap. If you do the full fender approach, you could hide a Mustang 2 front end and maybe cross this off your bucket list before you reach 70. Scan-190209-0001.jpg

8. goldmountain

goldmountain

Now how did this end up here instead of to Nailhead A V8?

9. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana