Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stude54ht

stude54ht
    from Spokane WA

2. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

If I remember correctly, the owner of this fabulous roadster had it packed into a shipping container and then sent to New Zealand where it was unloaded and then used to tour the north and south islands. Anybody care to comment on my recollection?

Deuces, loudbang and Bleach like this.
  3. George Klass

George Klass
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

cobra.jpg
    I'm sure that everyone knows by now that this is the Cobra Daytona that set 25 world records at the Salt Flats in 1965, driven by Craig Breedlove and Bobby Tatroe taking turns behind the wheel, in a 5-mile in diameter circle for many hours. This was days after Breedlove set the LSR at 600.608 MPH in the "Spirit of America, Sonic 1". Bobby was the driver of Walt Arfons "Wingfoot Express" rocket powered car (25 JATO bottles).

This car, number CSX2287, has an interesting history. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shelby_Daytona

Personally, I have a history with this thing, too. I was on Craig's LSR team at the Salt Flats in '65, and helped with fueling (with a hand pump in a 55-gal. drum) during the course of setting the 25 USAC/FIA records. I also graduated Fairfax High School in the same class with Phil Spector (1957). I was in the High School band with Phil, he played the drums, I played the trombone. After High School, Phil and another guy I knew (Marshall Lieb) formed the Teddy Bears singing group. I remember that Marshall had a '50 Ford powered by a Caddy engine.

I have no idea what ever happend to Marshall, but everyone knows what happened to Phil.

Geezuz, I'm feeling old today...

LAROKE, olpaul, rustednutz and 17 others like this.
  4. wicarnut

wicarnut

5. Tan Oak Park in Mendocino County, North of Laytonville. Rumor has it Clark Gable and Carole Lombard honeymooned here...
    [​IMG]

6. noboD

noboD

George Klass, so does that mean you knew Bluto also?

Deuces likes this.
  7. George Klass

George Klass
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That name does not ring a bell with me...

Deuces and chryslerfan55 like this.
  8. *JW*

*JW*

9. What, we’ve got here is, the 1962 Cobra Daytona prototype #2,at Bonneville no less. It’s now been restored and is residing at the Simeone museum.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. noboD

noboD

He was a member here, big guy with a beard, wore bibs, with a parrot and moved to Poland. He knew Spector and has at least one part from the Cobra that he told me about.

jeepsterhemi likes this.
  11. JD Miller

JD Miller

Where this ? Town? Florida somewhere?

QUOTE="Gary Reynolds, post: 13038430, member: 52251"][​IMG][/QUOTE]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
    Scramboleer, chryslerfan55 and Lil32 like this.
  12. WOW! That Auburn or Cord convertible sedan sure got a smackdown....

13. George Klass

George Klass
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[/QUOTE]

To me it looks like it's in the Sierras somewhere, perhaps in the Lake Tahoe area...

HEMIDAV and Bleach like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.