Register now to get rid of these ads!

What year 5 speed from S-10 fits a V8 chevy Bellhs'g???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by choprods, Mar 4, 2006.

1. I know some years of these had the INTEGRAL bellhousing ....
    What year 5 speed tranny [from an S10] -is it ,that will bolt up to a bellhousing such as the ones a Saginaw/BorgWarner 4 bolt pattern- bolts to??
    I am toying with replacing the 3 speed in my 58 El Camino,with the 5 speed to get the highway gearing it so desperately needs.
    It is kinda hard to re gear the stock 58 rear,[WITHOUT RUINING THE "TAKE OFF" WITH HI GEARS.
    -plus it will save the nice low end response I like as it is now-and THEN give me the range to run 70 plus:D better in THAT 5th gear......I HOPE!

2. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

85-92 trans. The 85-88 has a manual speedo gear and the 89-92 has an electric sender. I have a friend who has many miles with one of these trans in a 29 highboy with a 327 with no problems. A shifter with stops is advisable if you are a hard shifter.

J.R.Stewart likes this.
  3. krusty40

krusty40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think anything 82 through 92 will work, but I'd look for a World Class (wc) trans from a V8 Camaro or Firebird ( up to 330 ft. lbs. torque) and 2.95 first gear instead of granny low. If you need to move the shifter forward, the tailshaft from an S10 will move it forward, but only up to '88 will have cable speedo drive, the later ones are electric. I have the WC trans and an S10 tailshaft (electric sender, unfortunately) to put behind the 283 in my '40 coupe (hopefully this summer). Anyone have a cable sender tailshaft? There are a lot of threads on this if you search . Good luck with your swap.

4. Thanks Krylon 32......This place gets results fast!!!
    Its a driver so I can shift lightly:D

5. willys_truck

willys_truck

I was wandering this same thing today, Does it make any difference if the tranny comes off a 4 cylinder, 2.8 or etc. ??? Thanks

6. Good info Krusty40,
    I am wanting the sepearte bell type trans as I am wanting to stay away from changing the clutch linkage and bellhousing....
    Is the input shaft 10 or 26 spline on these 85 to 88 trannys?

7. Another option is the 80's Ford truck Van 4 speed=[3 gear] with OD[actually an OD in fourth gear]
    anybody know what percent overdriven the high gear in those are?? they are a good tranny....and will fit the Chevy Bellhsg pattern too.:)

sko_ford likes this.
  8. krusty40

krusty40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The World class trannys from the V8 cars are 26 spline (my personal preference) you could use either 10.5 or 11 inch clutch.

9. ray

ray
    from colorado

no shit?

hmmmm. that could be an interesting swap if so, i bet those trannys are cheap and plentiful in the junkyard, should be pretty tough, but how low is low gear? i'm thinking this could be a good choice for customs, i got a 51 chevy, i'd like a manual tranny with overdrive that will take a warmed over v-8, but hate to spend the bucks for a WC tranny for this car. it doesn't need 5 speeds, it just needs the OD.

10. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

Kenny... i THINK, its like .83 in 4th(OD) but dont take it to the bank.

11. squirrel

squirrel

hey guys, watch out with the trannys from the 4 cyl and 2.8 V6 trucks, they will have a different input shaft.

4.3 V6 and V8 should be the ones to use.

BigChief likes this.
  12. Southfork

Southfork

They were also discussing the mid 80's Ford 150 pickup (SROD) tranny on the MSN flathead site, and also wondering what the overdrive gear was. Someone said it (4th gear) was .70.

13. tomslik

tomslik

watch it, those are pretty limp-dick trannys.
    and the "od" gear is discontinued...

14. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

yea, they arent made for a torque beast ladden big block, but they do aight behind a flatty, y-block or the like.

as for the OD gears, for as many of these things layin around in bone yards from so many friggin different cars, i dont think the gear shortage is a real big issue for a few years to come

15. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

The S10 Has a 1 inch 14 spline input.

16. tomslik

tomslik

maybe where YOU'RE at......
    besides,how many times do you want to rebuild your trans?
    btw,the mopar od 4speeds were the same way....

17. I think any transmission can be torn up......so its good there are other used ones to replace them:D
    Ford did install the OD 3 speeds[4th gear IS shifted]........in Granadas [behibd 302's] as well as the Ford trucks and Vans,so I am not afraid to use one in a daily driver.The trans I have in the 58 is OK it is just that the rear end is about a 3:70.......just wears me out to drive it far.

18. Hard Luck

Hard Luck

Borg Warner, now Tremec, has put the T5 in a lot of different applications starting way back in the early 80's. It made its way to the Mustang in 1983 as a non world class unit with a 2.95 ratio. In 1985 Ford was the first to use the world class unit with the 3.35 ratio. This was used to give the mustang more off the line punch but it also weakend the over-all strength of the unit. It then changed again in 1989-1990 with the use of the "hardened gears" and remained the same until 1994. Gm started using the world class version boxes in 1988 behind their V8(305) cars but retained the 2.95 ratio. You can go to www.5speeds.com for a complete history, Paul, the owner of the site has been into T5's since the beginning.

Another good site is www.stovebolt.com

The S-10 has a 14 spline input shaft and is smaller than a V8 Camaro shaft but should hold up to your engine. It also has a shifter that's more foward and works great in trucks/old street rods. It comes in a lower ratio which makes it weaker but if you aren't racing, it should be fine. It has a 27 spline output shaft commonly found on GMs.

The Mustang has a 10 spline input shaft like 99% of all Ford do. It has a shifter located at the rear of the transmission which makes it difficult to use in a truck unless you had bucket seats and use a modified stick. It has a 28 spline output shaft which is found on fords only.

The Camaro has either a 14 spline input if V6 or a 26 spline input if V8. The two units have different gear ratios and the V6 is lower thus weaker. The V6 came in either mechanical or electric speedo depending on the year. The v8 only came in mechanical speedo. Both used a 27 spline mainshaft like the S10. It is also rotated when bolted up to a Camaro bellhousing thus making the shifter sit slightly crooked if used on a regular Gm car bellhousing.

Maybe some of that will help. ;)

-Aaron

19. RacerRick

RacerRick

Don't forget, the T5's behind 4 bangers use ford bellhousing pattern, and the ones behind the 2.8L V6 use standard chevy. I understand the 4.3L V6 transmissions are also chevy pattern.

20. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

I might be wrong, but I didn't think they went to the Ford pattern until 93.

21. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

'93 it is - only year for WC in S-10

The 3.35 WC ratio did not weaken the strength from the NWC 2.95 gearset. NWC gearsets were rated between 165-230 while the 3.35 WC gearset was used throughout the production run of the Mustang T5 ('95). The WC 2.95 gearset was not available stock. It was an aftermarket gearset (2.95 was avail as NWC in '83-84). The 3.35 gearset was rated at 260-265 (application dependent) until the alloy change in '89/90 when they were rated at 300. The 2.95 gearset was rated at 335. The Cobra 3.35 gearset was 310. The weakpoint at power levels above this is no longer the gears, but the case.

The T-5 has been around for a long enough time, and applications number in the hundreds with variations w/in applications. Add to this the mix-&-match nature of the T-5 & there is loads of info out there that is not quite 100% accurate. With exactly that in mind, I will caveat my info by saying it's the result of several years of research - I respect the guys over at 5-speeds.com, but they do much, much more than T-5...

Don't know if you can search for strings less than 3 characters (makes searching for S10 or T5 difficult), but there are myriad posts buried in the HAMB archives will loads of T5 info.

Some more S10 FYI - 89-90 MAY have electronic speedo. It was an option originally based on if you got the electronic gauges or not. So you will find some trannys in this year range that have mechanical & some that are electronic.

If you swap an S10 tailhousing (and top cover!) onto a Camaro/Mustang tranny, you'll have to do some creative adaptation to run a speedo. Also, there's a plastic oiling funnel at the end of the cluster shaft that sits in the tailhousing (usually orange/brown-ish) - that goes with the tailhousing, not the cluster shaft.

22. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

Sorry I was talking GM trans only and not Ford, when refering to the Bolt Patterns

23. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

I have run a t5 from a 89 Camaro behind a mild 350 for 8 years ,no problems . You should try and find a complete set up from a Fbody camaro I think the 87-92 are supposed to be stronger. These year bellhousings are tilted 17 degrees and are set up to use a hydraulic clutch setup . You can use them this way or bolt the trans straight up and down as they fit on many older bellhousings . There is many in depth websites if you search that explain the different ways these transmissions interchange. The gear ratios in the v8 5 speeds have a nice spread they seem to hold up to a once in a while spirited driving ,but banging gears real hard and you’re using public transit!

24. I have a 5 speed from a 1999 S-15 GMC 4.3 bolted to a 283, it bolted up and use a 10.5 gm clutch I did have to shim the hy through out bearing but it works great, Their is no hole for the top bolt but could be drilled if you just need to have one their, it lines up with both dowels an, I used a brass pilot bearing. Classic instruments makes a speed o pickup that works with it. I has broke a drive shift and a couple of u joins being a little hard on it but no problems with the trans.

25. statesblue

statesblue
    from Luzerne Pa