Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Best Stripper???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustyironman, Apr 13, 2019.

1. I don't mean the one named Destiny or Brandy....

I'm facing some really tough paint, kleen-strip only sorta removes it. The rustoleum aircraft remover slightly better but still needs like 4 applications. I need a better *stronger* stripper. Does anybody have suggestions of the most powerful stripper that is available for auto body use, something that actually strips?

2. 5window

5window

I was always partial to Blaze Starr. Anything strong enough for your job is going to need some pretty serious personal safety equipment. The picture should make waiting for the correct answer easier.

[​IMG]

3. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Candy Barr.................... do a U-Tube search!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    chryslerfan55 and 427 sleeper like this.
  4. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

The spray on type helps ensure the necessary thick coat. Really thick.
    Before application of stripper seriously scratch the paint surface with 36 grit.
    Try covering the thick coat with wax paper to force the action into the paint.
    It's common for strippers to strip one coat at a time.
    Some paint will only soften enough to be scraped off and some will actually curl like a potato chip.
    Monitor the activity because the softening has a window of opportunity.
    Patience and experience is key.

5. mrhp

mrhp
    from MICHIGAN

We either used wax paper or plastic wrap to cover the items being stripped. Covering keeps the stripper from drying out and giving a longer work time.

6. Giving it a good scratch to let the stripper in
    The better the scratch the better and faster it works

indyjps likes this.
  7. indyjps

indyjps

Methylene chloride, thats what puts the skull and crossbones on the label. If it doesnt have it, dont buy it. I buy old school zip strip locally. Theres better available thru mail order.

Agree on plastic wrap, keep it from drying out, so it keeps eating.

Razor blade works well. As mentioned the stripper hits 1 coat at a time, but may soften the underlying enough it will lift with a blade. Heat gun and a blade works well too.

8. Casey Riley

Casey Riley
    from Minnesota

I talked to 2 guys at Back To The 50's that swear by POR-15 Gel Strip. Said it worked instantly.

9. Vimtage Iron

Vimtage Iron

A Pair of 45's made me open my eyes.
    The Hollies

10. The37Kid

The37Kid

There is a thread on the AACA site, all the good paint strippers are being taken off the market. Bob

nytimes.com/2018/05/29/climate/lowes-drops-paint-strippers-blamed-in-dozens-of-deaths.html

11. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know that hitting the like button gives a thumbs up, but I don't have enough thumbs to describe how much I "LIKE" that vid!!!
    Oh, and by the way, I've always had good luck with Zip-Strip

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  12. TWKundrat

TWKundrat

We used to use some stuff that we just called nanner puddin that worked pretty darn well. It was a little thicker and definitely had a stronger smell than the aircraft stripper. I'd guess that you'll have better luck with an industrial supplier rather than your local hardware store or autozone finding something that works.

13. 5window

5window

14. AeroCraftsman

AeroCraftsman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

15. I’ve gone to the local furniture stripper and get a mason jar full of what they use.
    Does not smell horrible, kind of looks like apple sauce.

Works great
    Like has been said some aggressive scuffing with coarse sand paper or a very stiff steel brush , just to cut the layers of paint.
    And plastic or wax to cover it on warm dry days so it keeps going.

Cheap dollar store paint brushes and just keep applying and moving it around.

Safety glasses or full face shield, long sleeves and gloves help with the burning !!! Lol
    Outside or lots of ventilation

chryslerfan55 likes this.