Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Help identifying a GM rear end

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

9E36C2B2-4734-4B78-B876-BB03C6735CEC.jpeg I am working on the nephews 58 Apache and it has an unknown rear end in it. I need to buy brake parts but you know what will happen if the kid at Oreillys doesn’t have exact make/model. Just trying to save my self some pain.

We thought I might be a Buick from the late 70’s early 80’s. Maybe a G body?

Here’s what I know.
    3.00ish gear, brake shoes are 10”x2”. Has lugs on top for a trailing arm setup.
    It measures 55.3” backing plat to backing plate.

The PO installed it. We are just trying to salvage what we can since he doesn’t have much money.
    C1624668-4FEA-421F-8DF2-04DB5E8979CB.jpeg
    Thanks

2. X-cpe

X-cpe

The cut outs on the side pretty much say BOP. From my recollection there is an ID code stamped on the upper front quarter of the right axle tube. Are '64 up Chevelles, etc. a G body? Also '77 up full size?

3. Most likely out of a 73-77 GM A Body Brakes should be 9-1/2 x 2 but some models where a 11 inch

4. squirrel

squirrel

10 inch brakes are weird, 9.5 and 11 are common. Maybe measure again? if it really is 10" I don't know what it is.

but yeah, look at Pontiac mid size cars from the late 60s.

5. Roothawg

Roothawg

Nope, it's exactly 10" brake shoes on the longest shoe. Now, to be clear, I am measuring the length of the shoe across the curvature. 10"x2".
    The drum width measures 9.5" I believe.

I am leaning towards Buick, because the column that was in it was out of a Buick.

6. squirrel

squirrel

uh, the diameter of the inside of the drum is what you need.

9.5 sounds right.

could be lots of different cars, but I suspect 67-69 or so A body (mid size) Buick, Olds, Pontiac.

pick one, get brake parts.

302GMC, Roothawg and firstinsteele like this.
  7. Goto Oreilly's you want part #245 for your shoes... And H7104 hardware kit or the Pro kit #H2319

Roothawg and loudbang like this.
  8. I agree, looks like late 60's GM A-body with those four link mounts cast into the housing.

9. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations

[​IMG]

This is a pic during the resto of my wife’s ‘68 GTO. I can take a better pic tomorrow but I think it looks pretty close to what you have. Sorry but the brakes and wheels (and painted body are on it) so I can’t measure the drums easily. I know it’s a pic of an OT vehicle part so sorry in advance. Regards, Randy

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Roothawg and loudbang like this.
  10. Joe H

Joe H

Early 8.2 BOP axle, A-body, '65-'72. Chevy used a round cover, '73 and newer went to the 8.5 ring gear.
    Pull the cover to get date code off ring gear if you want to narrow your search.

11. As stated before... AXLE CODE is on the right tube most on the front of it.. some stamped on top I have seen and will be close to the housing within a couple inches

12. Roothawg

Roothawg

I saw some numbers on the axle tube, but figured it wouldn't help. I'll go and see what they are.

13. squirrel

squirrel

It will help id the rear, but probably isn't needed to find the brake parts you need. There are not many different varieties of those brakes, from that era.

Roothawg likes this.
  14. Roothawg

Roothawg

It’s mainly for knowledge. We are building a folder for him that has all of the particulars of the build.

squirrel likes this.

15. Wish more people done that it is SO helpful when needing parts.... I commend you for compiling a list for the guy

Cant count how many people come into the store saying they need such and such and have NO CLUE what said part is from...

Just recently a guy bought a deuce 1/2 said it had a old Olds in it.. showed pic of engine and it was a Buick LOL

Roothawg likes this.