Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Brake drums. Parts is parts?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Chris Haynes, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Shopping online for new juice brake drums for my A Sedan I find that Speedway has them much cheaper than any other vendor. Now the question is what is their quality? Anybody have experience with the drums sold by Speedway?
    TIA,
    Chris

2. evintho

evintho

All I know is I purchased some 'off shore' drums from RockAuto and they were so out of round they were oblong! I imagine Speedway probably has the same supplier. Simple fix though. Even though they're new, have them turned to true them up.

3. It might help to know what year drums you are looking for? I wonder if the guys that reproduce the Lincoln brakes have drums that fit a ford? I would be looking for hub/drum assemblies, that is the way Ford supplied them. Any chance you could take a measuring device and find what you need at a swap meet like the LA Roadster show?

Charlie Stephens

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  4. I thought you always turned new drums even back in the days they were high quality, US made? How far out of round were they?

Charlie Stephens

5. rusty valley

rusty valley

6. The better be good at 300 bucks each. I am not looking for the finned type drums. Just plain ones like Henry made.

7. Ralph Moore

Ralph Moore

The standard drums they sell were about $130 each when I bought some last year.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. I've had to turn many new, both "offshore" and "quality" drums to end up with brakes that worked properly. Quality control, storage, shipping and handling can all contribute to non perfect new brake drums.

9. Garpo

Garpo

SDC12376.JPG
    Had to do a bit of work to get static balance with my Chinese drums.
    Garpo

jebbesen, VANDENPLAS and Hnstray like this.
  10. Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  11. Okay. You gotta help me out a little here. I'm having trouble deciding whether this looks scary or not. Just can't say that I've ever seen this done before. Is there that much thickness where you're doing your dimple drilling? Could the drum not be balanced by adding weight opposite of where you were drilling? :confused:

12. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

bought the speedway set up, drums, backing plates, and guts... ran them 2 years...ok by me.

13. 5window

5window

How could you possibly know or even think that Speedway would use the same supplier? More than one "off-shore" supplier, for sure, and some of them likely make good products. I'm thinking most of the cars on our roads today are running "off shore" drums. Most of them seem to stop ok. For that, I'd bet most of the Chevrolets made in Canada or Fords built in Mexico aren't running US drums. Sheesh

14. Never had a new drum that did not require a cut to get them true.

Manufacturing, storage and shipping all play a roll.
    I have seen at some of my customers 4x4 crates with drums and rotors loosely stacked and shipped like that
    To be boxed by the end seller.
    Can’t be good for the ones on the bottom to have all that wright shifting and bouncing around for god knows how long.

15. Most drums that I've seen balanced have had a weight welded to the outside of the drum. I suppose some, depending on what wheel might be being used might not have room there for a weight. I've also seen some heavier drums that were drilled on the outside rim to remove weight.

16. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The FWIW department: I had a pair of original 40 drums and backing plates on my Model A. I did the standard thing of using shims on the rear axle. One shim was all it took for them to work perfect for over 5K miles. Then I decided to go through the rear end and I decided to upgrade to new drums as the originals were getting pretty thin. The Boling Bros simply would not fit. I would have had to spend another $600 for their special hubs. I went to Sacramento Vintage and got a pair or 40 replacement drums. They were seriously out of round. After truing them I still had a problem with them hitting the backing plate. I had to remove almost 3/16 from the inner flange and add a thicker shim to get them to work. Bottom line is the replacements are not a direct replacement, nor are they good to use right out of the box.