Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Voltage Solution???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by klawockvet, Apr 13, 2019.

1. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lots of new problems in the conversion of my Model A to an overhead with a 12 volt high torque starter. I'm considering placing two red top 6 volt batteries under the seat of my 28 roadster and wiring them in series which would give me 12 volts at the end of the series but I could tap off 6 volts at opposite ends of one of the batteries to run my 6 volt turn indicators, lights and horn. Has anyone done this successfully?

2. squirrel

squirrel

Yes, it's been done successfully.

But it's an expensive way to go. I'd just use a single normal 12v battery and change the bulbs.

3. Why? Seems to me it would be less work along with less money to replace a few bulbs, flasher, and horn than to get two 6 volt batteries, mount, and wire them. You didn't mention your charging system; but that would need to be 12 volts also.

sevenhills1952 likes this.
  4. More work and expense then what, if any kind of gain.
    As squirrel said a few bulbs , flasher relay and horn your done.
    Not to mention the weight and loss of real estate with 2 batteties

5. squirrel

squirrel

Those 6 volt batteries he's talking about are about half the size of a normal 12v battery, so the weight/size issue isn't.

6. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The greatest advantage of the smaller batteries is they fit under the seat. That's what made me think about the dual 6 volts in the first place. That got me thinking about a possible second advantage in that the turn indicator system is electronic and requires being replaced with a correct module, not just a flasher. This might not solve that problem as it may be a positive ground device. I already have the 12 volt charging system. That might be the problem I'm thinking/worrying about. Back in mid fifties when 6 volt cars were being upgraded to 12 volts some people tapped half way into a 12 volt battery with a sheet metal screw that would provide a six volt source. I'm thinking this would be a similar situation if the 6 volt devices were also negative ground. The polarization of the two systems may be the deal breaker.

7. Model A Vette

Model A Vette

Older British sports cars used two 6 volt batteries. They worked ok but there two things to keep in mind:
    How available are 6 volt batteries while you are on the road? How easy is it to diagnose which battery is bad?

Rich S. likes this.
  8. manyolcars

manyolcars

You don't have to change the horn. My avatar has been 12 volt for 22 years and the 6v horn works good