Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***April 2019 Banger Meet - No fooling - just 4***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Big John M

Big John M
    from New York

JT1930 that is a nice bell housing..
    Just finished porting my banger, cut intake valve pockets for the 1.7" intake valves, installed modern guides and cut new seats, cleaned it up and ready to go for new Babbitt next week...

Dannerr, Old Dawg and JT1930 like this.
  2. My Roadster finally taking shape...2 years into it this month.

Attached Files:

Dannerr, burl, Jet96 and 6 others like this.
  3. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

4. JT1930

JT1930

@Nosetime your roadster is looking great. I see it on Instagram. Love it.

@Big John M Nice. Why not go with the bearing inserts instead of the babbit?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  5. @JT1930 Thanks, I appreciate that!

6. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

nice bell housing !!!

JT1930 likes this.
  7. surf10

surf10

Thanks, appreciate it. Still a bit to do, but really enjoying working on something this old.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

8. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IMG_20190413_193812281.jpg
    Had the Vicky out for the first time very far away from home. Working out bugs but it was a successful outing...about 70 miles. No parts on the highway. The downside is that the block has cracks in the cylinder water jackets on the driver side that was covered up with bondo and paint....so much for trust in the machine shop I bought it from. There is crack repair in my future.

Sent from my XT1254 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Dannerr, Old Dawg, Jet96 and 4 others like this.
  9. G Baese

G Baese

Beautiful picture Larry and thanks for the update! Glad you got the Vicky out on the road.
    Yo bro from Colorado

winduptoy likes this.
  10. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Since its a slow month I'll add to the forum. I got a couple of good days in and found new problem that I don't believe was there previously. I was running a Model A block through a Model A transmission when the latest update came about. My new engine is the same block with a Dan Price/Cragar head but I have added one of Dave Delmue's F150 transmissions. The last set up had the master cylinder mounted on the side of the trans and I made a bellcrank to operate the F100 master cylinder. I had to make a new bracket to fit the F150 trans and it sits in the same relationship to the brake pedal as before. I am 99% sure the pedal went to the floor without the pushrod into the master cylinder connected. Now, with the MC disconnected the brake pedal hits the back of the engine just above the step where the motor mount fits into the motor. (Picture attached) There is still plenty of throw on the MC pushrod but I cant figure out why the pedal isn't going to the floor. The Delmue pedal shaft must be very close to original as I cant measure any different and the clutch rod goes right on to the throwout without any adjustment from the last set up. I can heat and bend the pedal to gain a little but it will still hit the motor mount and it will put the pedal closer to the steering column. (which isn't done as I'm getting rid of the stock column) IMG_3647.jpg IMG_3646.jpg
    IMG_3647.jpg IMG_3646.jpg So, what I'm looking for is someone who has a model A apart with a stock pedal set up but not hooked up to the actual brake rods so that I can see where the stock pedal stopped when the floorboards are removed. My apologies if my post is unclear. I'll try to update it if so.

Dannerr, burl and JT1930 like this.
  11. Hi all, been a while since I’ve posted anything on the banger threads. One question what is the optimum cooling system for a twin Stromberg 97 equipped B engine running a Thomas head? I have a V8 water pump, 28 radiator, and an electric fan as no room for the fan off the water pump. Thanks, Greg

12. Jukenut13

Jukenut13

Trentham show 2018. 3.jpg
    Hi Greg, this is what I'm using, V8 pump with adapter and the fan/pulley from my orig. pump.

Greg Stokes and barrnone50 like this.
  13. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

had a good day Saturday . went for a little ride in the Ford tri-motor . 1928 ! was really cool ….. steve HF AIR CRAFT2.jpg

30spdstr, Old Dawg, winduptoy and 5 others like this.
  14. raven

raven

I took my son for a ride in one of those not took long ago
    r

15. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Glad you had a successful shakedown run. At least you have experience fixing cracks. haha Bringing your Roadster to the Dirt Drags? Is Rick coming also?

16. JT1930

JT1930

Banger people...... in order to run a Winfield 6.1 head should you have it relieved a few thousandths ? What is minimum clearance between piston and head also. Pulling the silly putty out. Thank you.

** measured. .030 - .032 distance.

63028B1E-096F-43B6-8C41-1289375916B6.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
    Dannerr and winduptoy like this.
  17. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

FC77038D-4240-4B92-A9C7-5C8970004143.jpeg

Picked up my engine at Bert’s last week. Putting this engine in is easy.....until today! A 30 minute job took 2-1/2 hours. Can’t figure out why. Will button it up this week and test drive next weekend

Dannerr, Old Dawg, burl and 5 others like this.
  18. You go guy's.......hope all's going y'all's way !

19. 5280A2

5280A2

I have been running one of the repro crow's foot Winfield heads since 2009 with no counterbore, just flat. My pistons were about 0.040 above the deck, so I am figuring you will have more clearance than I have been running. I would recommend checking the fit of your head gasket carefully with this head; my gasket slightly overlaps the combustion chamber on the valve side on all four combustion chambers. Because of that overlap I have been installing the head gaskets with the crimp seam against the block so there is no chance of the seam being exposed in the combustion chamber. So far the gaskets have been able to survive even though they are slightly exposed. I have used both the Felpro copper and Best Brand gaskets successfully.

When I purchased my head in 2008 this version was advertised as 6.8:1, so the compression may be higher than the 6:1 you reference in your post. I also subsequently had another 0.060 cut off the head to bump the compression and to reduce the footprint of the combustion chamber so that the head gasket fit better. Be careful of too much spark advance with this set-up, I broke two crankshafts before I learned I needed to limit total advance to about 24-26 degrees.

Dannerr and JT1930 like this.
  20. JT1930

JT1930

@5280A2 Good to know. Thanks. And yes my pistons come out the hole around .040 since they are .060 oversized pistons. This was measured using a model a best gasket. Looked fine when place on the head. Nothing over lapped. I am going with a premium model B head gasket from Snyder’s. They are a bit thicker also. From what I’ve read .100 thick.

21. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

ratamahata : This one really NEEDS to also be entered over on the "Unusual Engines" thread!!

22. Yes... don't know the thread... I'll look... If I understand works like an air compressor or??

Sent from my Mi A1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

Holy cow is that cool !!!

24. Dustyp489

Dustyp489

I remember my uncle had an A motor that ran on two and pump air on the other two. This was back in the 50s. Never new what happened to it.

25. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

John,
    Thanks. I'm planning on bringing the Vicky...we will see. I got a couple of ideas for fixing the cracks or I may just run as is. I got a line on a B engine or two and I dealt for @ hambtownal B engine.
    I'll bring your head. Rick is planning on coming...he may have a new banger powered Roadster...stay tuned

Binger and Hamtown Al like this.
  26. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

That is great!! cant wait to see you in June!

27. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

760415E6-85B4-4069-BBE1-0A722609E50C.jpeg I bought this picture from a lady a few years ago. I've wondered if that line to the bottom of the pan is a return? Wish I could see more, there's some cool stuff going on there...

barrnone50, Dannerr, Old Dawg and 4 others like this.
  28. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

Thanks ratamahata- I've got a pretty good idea of general pressurised layout. (In fact I'm building a system using G. Riley's instructions right now).but I don't recall a return to the bottom of the pump area.