Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1950 Pontiac Brake Shoes

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by fyrffytr1, Jul 3, 2018.

1. fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Does anyone have a part number for the front and rear brake shoes for a 50 Pontiac Silver Streak from a local parts store? I have already sourced the wheel cylinders and hoses but I am having trouble coming up with the shoes. And, I work for a parts store! I have crossed numbers from e-bay and they come up for applications other than my car.
    Thanks for any and all help.

2. fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

I was hoping to get them locally. That way, if there is a problem I can take care of it without having to ship them. I have some more numbers to look up when I go back to work Thursday. Hopefully they will be the right ones.

3. When I was looking for rear brake shoes for my 50 Olds. I found that 78 Chev. Impala rear shoes were the same also the brake cylinders fit right into the Olds. backing plate .

4. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. Try O'Riley's. They have the parts lists for the old cars in their computer. I have ordered several things including brake & starter parts for my 46 Chevy from them and what is not in stock they give next day delivery if the order processes before 5PM.
    Good luck, Jimmie

5. fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

I work for O'Reillys! The computer lists very little for my car. But, I was able to do a parts interchange with numbers found online and came up with our part numbers for the shoes, cylinders and all three brake hoses. I also have the numbers for the shocks if anyone needs them.

6. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Might be easier to get the originals relined. Any big truck shop can do it.

Pist-n-Broke likes this.
  7. I seldom buy replacement Shoes or Clutch disc. I have them re lined and the drums turned and shoes arched to each drum all at a local shop. Maybe you can find one close to you.
    The Wizzard

8. fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

I think I have found both front and rear shoes but won't know for sure until I pull the drums and compare the new to the old.
    Thanks for all the help and be ready to give me more as I move forward with this project!

9. slim39

slim39
    from pa

Try Kanter auto parts Booton NJ

10. theold52

theold52

Ebay, full set $54 plus shipping. Ca Pontiac restoration, 1949-1954, 11x2 1/4, $28 pair.
    I noticed that parts outlets have little or no Pontiac computer listings. So, depending on the part, I substitute Chevy or go to California Pontiac Restoration. Good guys. Fast ship. Brakes? Easy.
    Now back to repairing my 1957 Pontiac speedometer. More involved. Few available. Darn magnets!

11. jay360

jay360
    from Olympia Wa

Fellow members looking for front brake parts,shoes,spring kit,wheel cylinders, brake hose, any good sources would be great. Thanks

12. Dwardo

Dwardo

I think, going by memory, they are the same as the shoes on the Hudson Hornets that I had. If so, those shoes are unique to the Pontiac, the Hudson, and some 40s Oldsmobiles. You can buy shoes of the right dimension that "almost" fit, but the anchor height is wrong and it is impossible to get the shoes to hit the drum all the way around unless you grind the shoes off-center. I've been there and done that. If I can find my old Bendix brake catalogue I can confirm it.