Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Fuel cell/foam question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dan, Apr 10, 2019.

1. Dan

Dan

Want to move the fuel tank out of the cab of my son's '60 chevy pickup back between the frame rails under the back of the bed. I have a circle track plastic tank I would like to use but it has no gauge sending unit in it and has foam in it. Is there any problem with pulling the foam out and installing an aftermarket sending unit in it? Thanks-

2. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

It will slosh fuel around and give bad gauge readings if there are no baffles or foam.

3. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I removed the foam and never had any issues.. I'd get an RCI aluminum tank. There's a guy on e-Bay from Texas that sells them real cheap!

mad mikey likes this.
  4. Dan

Dan

Fuel sloshing was what I was concerned with as well....
    I was wanting to use this tank cause I already have it. If I buy one I will buy a Mustang tank and use it. I have a '40 pickup I used a Mustang tank with and it was stupid simple. Maybe we'll just put up with sloshing and a bouncing gauge until we decide to buy a better solution...

5. Make sure and rinse the tank several times after you remove the foam, you won't believe how many foam particles will come out of there.

egads and fastcar1953 like this.
  6. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I don't remember having any gauge issues without the foam.. It worked just fine but I had the RCI tank, there made pretty well...

7. my 39's factory tank had baffles in it. Which is why I replaced it. no matter what I did I couldn't get all the garbage out of it because the baffles were in the way.

8. buffaloracer

buffaloracer
    from kansas

Remove the foam. Have seen lots of problems if it is left in.
    Pete

9. the foam doesn't like ethonol fuel, just installed on, and instructions say it will break down

10. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Foam breaks down with Alcohol, check to see what your states standards are for alcohol content in the gas. If you are using a sending unit that is contained in a tube, pull the top plate and use "Wiffle-Balls" to control slosh instead of the foam

11. weeniewawa

weeniewawa

they make foam for running alcohol if you want it. I can't see anything wrong with taking it out and having the fuel slosh around effecting the reading of the fuel level gauge, millions of cars have been built this way and seem to have no problem.