Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old Phone

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Hot Rod Nut, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Hot Rod Nut

Hot Rod Nut

This is going to sound crazy I know, but I got a old wall hanging ,Dial phone from a friend yesterday, hung it on the wall in my shop, and it works. I really got it to show my granddaughter how things use to be. , and after using it a couple of times, I can't get over how good it feels to hold the receiver and talk on it an take the time to dial the number. Takes me back to simpler times instantly. Which dearly miss. I was born in 1950 and slow to adapt to this new world. Thanks for listing to me rattle.

2. raven

raven

I am in total agreement with you!
    r

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  3. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

any pics of the new phone? I moved this thread to the antiquated section before it got reported as off topic. I too have a couple of working rotary phones....

4. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Almost bought this last weekend, might still..
    [​IMG]

5. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

My red rotary dial hanging just to the right of the service door [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. banjorear

banjorear

Agree 100%. We have an old rotary from the '30's we use when the power goes out. Still works like new.

Some time ago, they use to sell a old time receiver that you could plug into your cell phone. Not that same, I know, but kind of neat.

7. Hot Rod Nut

Hot Rod Nut

Thanks for moving, Here's a picture, nothing special, but sure feels good using it compared to my little flip 100_3962.JPG
    Yes I see it, like mine only red. Man really like all your cars! You my friend you are a lucky man.
    phone.

8. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

How many people actually know the phone numbers of the people they are calling. The only one I really know is my daughters. I could actually call her up if I only had access to a rotary phone. Shes the only one, everybody else I would be S.O.L.
    I got rid of my land line because I was paying over $50 a month to receive robo calls and telemarketers.

VANDENPLAS and williebill like this.
  9. Fordors

Fordors

871D057B-852B-4483-B1DB-78CDA818541F.jpeg 8C10A5F8-02BD-4277-86AB-A93450E9B992.jpeg EFDCAE25-ADFE-4C53-AAED-52841C0F54C9.jpeg Western Electric 1920’s candlestick phone with bulldog mouthpiece. I had it hooked up to Ma Bell years ago, don’t know if it is compatible with our Comcast landline now.

10. Hot Rod Nut

Hot Rod Nut

That's cool. My Greatgrand Mother still had a crank phone in the 50s, also no electric, an out house.

Ron Funkhouser, Fordors and Moriarity like this.
  11. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I did just the opposite, 6 months ago I shitcanned my cell phone and went back to a land line. I can't tell you how wonderful it is to drive anywhere with no phones ringing, to go to dinner with no phone ringing, to never hear the text ding (I despise texting) I told myself I was not going to be one of those people going thru life looking down at a device.....

12. ............Now if we could just get the rest of the world to follow along.:(

13. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

14. Roothawg

Roothawg

My daughter was making fun of me, due to lack of tech savviness, if that's a word. So, I ordered a rotary dial phone off ebay. When she got home from school, I told her to call her grandma. She wandered into the kitchen and I hear "What's that thing?" A phone, call your grandma. She stood there perplexed for minutes....Eventually, she stuck her fingers in the circle, but nothing happened.

She doesn't make fun of me anymore.

15. williebill

williebill

Nothing feels more substantial that an old Western Electric phone. I've got landline at work, credit card processor running through it, and after the others here wanted to throw mine away, I put it on my desk, and threatened death to any who touched it.
    I was ecstatic when I found out it would still work on the new lines.
    It's at least 50 years old, maybe much older. The rotary phones I bought 20-30 years ago from the store always felt like shit.
    I was born in '52.

lothiandon1940 and Hot Rod Nut like this.
  16. Hot Rod Nut

Hot Rod Nut

Yep, it just fells right, makes me smile every time I use it.

williebill and lothiandon1940 like this.
  17. ........and of course they were created long before everything was ergonomically designed by a computer. Imagine that!:rolleyes:

williebill likes this.
  18. oldengine

oldengine

Phones 002.JPG Phones 002.JPG Phones 005.JPG These still work

Attached Files:

19. Roothawg

Roothawg

Does the payphone work?

20. Fordnut40

Fordnut40

This thread hits real close to home. I worked at Western Electric back in the day until it was obliterated by Judge Green during the break-up of Ma Bell. I spent 25 years at the Atlanta Service Center & we were the last of the 34 regional service centers before Lucent Technologies close us down & sent our work to Mexico. We junked thousands of some of the same phones that are pictured on this thread unfortunately. Here are my vintage Western Electric phones that are still in use around my house & garage. IMG_3207.JPG IMG_3208.JPG IMG_3210.JPG IMG_3211.JPG IMG_3212.JPG IMG_3213.JPG

21. oldengine

oldengine

awg, post: 13035868, member: 160"]Does the payphone work?[/QUOTE] It works as a regular phone, when connected to a regular phone line.

22. Another wonderful service that was shitcanned for something “better”. I have absolutely no desire to own the telephone. I liked it much better when Ma Bell owned the sonaofbitch and we just used it. I remember those phones, and the phone repairman, and I’m only 44.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Ron Funkhouser and Hot Rod Nut like this.
  23. F&J

F&J

Thanks for posting this. I have never owned a cell and often I feel like I don't fit in the "modern world".

Here is the first and only rotary phone I've ever owned, that you had to lease by the month back when I bought my first home in 1975. Was it $1 per month, I believe? Many years later, the Phone Company said "no more monthly leases", but they offered to sell it to you for $1. We did buy it. Then when "the then wife" went to cordless, I used it in my shop. Then it also went in the next shop, and now as a back up in my kitchen with it's loud bell which helps.
    DSCN2436.JPG
    Sad to say about modern quality.... that I bought a pair of ATT landline cordless ones a year ago, and over 4 months, both crapped out as far as "neither will ring unless it's the one is in the master holder"! So, I can't take either one outside, or to the shop if I am out there and am waiting for a call back. It won't ring!

...but that turned out to be a blessing....because I'd refrain from using noisy equipment to not "miss a call". ( if they want to, they just leave a message, right?) Why be controlled by a phone of any kind.

BTW, I am 68 and I remember only dialing 5 numbers.

24. I was born in 1981. The first phone I remember and used was a rotary. I still have a home phone attached to the wall and the receiver is on a cord.

God, I hate the fact cell phone have become a way of life!

Bring back rotary phones, points ignition, drum brakes, and Coke in glass bottles for a nickel!

25. As Alexander Gram Bell intended!

26. Hot Rod Nut

Hot Rod Nut

Yours looks just like mine. I told the wife that I might replace the one in our kitchen with another one and she said that would be fine.

Ron Funkhouser and F&J like this.
  27. P1000736.JPG P1000762.JPG P1000763.JPG

This is my inside phone booth, set up in my basement. Phone is a reproduction but it works. I also have an outside drive up phone. My collection just hit 170!

28. Hot Rod Nut

Hot Rod Nut

29. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi F&J.I`m 73,and I remember when you only had to dial 4 numbers.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

30. I have land lines in our home too. My daughter did get me one of those camera's with a built in phone. I just turn the ringy thing off. Lol Ron.... 20190420_093835.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G920P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app