Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods old-school 4-spd w/overdrive

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by the neighbor, Apr 11, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Has anybody out there done the Saginaw 3-and-over/4spd mashup? I'm intrigued... I've got the transmissions to do it... heard of this from time-to-time over the years (decades).

2. sdluck

sdluck

I have never done it,but heard about it.I did talk to a guy that had a 427 64 galaxie with a 4 speed that he put a od on the 4 speed.I assume it was a t 10.Many guys on here say the saginaw od was know big deal.

3. 63galaxie406

63galaxie406

I have a Ford Galaxie T-10 with a BW R-12 overdrive on it. It was developed by an old hot rodder named Tom Beatty for another old hot rodder named Doan Spencer. They had it in a ‘61 Starliner. I got mine in a trade for some labor. Have not used it yet. Check out Hot Rod Mag Nov.’62 and Car Craft Mag July ‘65.

deucemac likes this.
  4. Fordors

Fordors

Tom Beatty, the early lakes/Bonneville racer and blower guru made a cast aluminum adapter for the Borg Warner R-11 overdrive unit to T10. The OD swap also required a modified main shaft.
    Looks like we were typing at the same time.^^^

5. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

I had one in my o/t 67 Chevy behind my 400. I still have the trans but I broke reverse as a teenager being a dumb ass. It worked great though. I haven’t put it back in anything yet because the solenoid died and I have yet to find a replacement. Hot rod deluxe ran an article on how to do it a few years ago

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app