Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Help with 1940 Deluxe inside windshield trim

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Capt.Mike, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Capt.Mike

Capt.Mike

I have a 1940 Tudor Deluxe and am once again able to work on it. I am almost finished putting in the headliner (holy %$#$%) and need some info on the front inside windshield trim. I have the two large trim pieces that came with the car.
    1. The top holes in the windshield garnish moldings don't line up with the holes in the body. The moldings were sitting in the car when I bought it. Is it as simple as drilling new holes in the body to match the molding holes or is there something inside the windshield frame of the body area waiting to break my glass (new glass already installed).
    2. I have the division bar but what is the large hole in the bottom for?
    3. What covers the top joint and bottom joint?

2. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Many times the holes don't line up quite right--I have redrilled many. The hole in the bottom of the center bar is for the windshield wiper knob. the center bar should cover the top and bottom gaps after windshield garnish molding installed. Are the two small metal pieces that go in before the moldings in correctly?

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Olscrounger is referring to the two pieces on the inside of the A pillar that are covered with headliner upholstery. These have to go in before the garnish mouldings. If the garnish mouldings are the ones that originally came with the car they should match with the holes but its not as easy as it sounds. A small awl is almost mandatory.

lothiandon1940 and olscrounger like this.
  4. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^ what he said--I use several awls when installing the moldings. Just did a 40 std and had to redrill a few holes. The 39 woody that just left also needed a couple redrilled. Same issue with door garnish moldings-a few were off a bit.
    Also on these I extend the side pieces that are covered so they go clear down the the dash in the corner. Many times these are missing- made a set for the blk std coupe that just left here-they must fit tight or the garnish moldings won't fit properly.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
    CME1 and lothiandon1940 like this.

5. alchemy

alchemy

Doesn't the mirror cover the top joint?

If redrilling the holes, make sure you don't go too far past the inner framework or you may nick the skin. Could easily make an outtie dent.

6. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My question back at ya would be how far off and in what direction. Some of fit issues may be headliner material thickness/layers. My 39 std moldings are tight as hell but they line up, and that's without headliner material in place (!).

7. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I get them tight with the awl and make sure they are in- then ck holes--some need to be redrilled-must be very careful not to chip painted/woodgrained moldings-use a piece of rubber hose on bit for safety and depth. also the two bottom holes near the center usually require longer screws. Yes mirror covers top joint except on woodies and converts.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. Capt.Mike

Capt.Mike

The Highlander - The top four are all about a full inch off. The moldings were in the car but not installed so most likely they are from another car.
    Olscrounger - The two side pieces are both in and tight. I thought they might be the problem until I looked at how far the holes are off.
    I will make a drill bock so I only go through the first piece of sheet metal and drill 4 new holes. Thanks for the info.

9. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Are the very center larger holes of on top where the mirror goes off as well? Maybe pickup moldings? pic of top of molding would help.

BJR and lothiandon1940 like this.