Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods F1 Steering Box Rebuild.What Can I Get Away with?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by irishsteve, Apr 10, 2019.

1. I pulled a part my F1 box which had major roughness if I turned the shaft.Turns out the Sector shaft roller has major pitting in two spots on one side of the roller.The steering shaft worm gear has no visible bad spots,and the end bearing surfaces are perfect.Im kind of surprised.I figured one bad surface would destroy the other.My question? Can I replace the Sector roller,and expect it to be happy mated to a original worm?Anyone one ever gone this route ,and been happy with the end result?

2. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

Sure, if there is no damage to the worm. I've replaced worms using the original rollers with no problems. If there is any wear at all though it's best to replace both.

3. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Pics?
    I make sure the sector bushings are nice and tight

The repop sector roller will need a slight shave so it rolls freely in the sector, but other than that sounds like your good to go

4. Thanks guys.Good to know about fitting the roller.

5. alchemy

alchemy

I tried replacing the sector roller on my F1 box and didn't get the shims loose enough. The car was always hard to steer. Make sure you don't do this. I found a perfect original sector at a swap meet and installed it in the box. Steers like a new car now. And, use John Deere corn head grease in the box for lube.

irishsteve likes this.
  6. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We had a worm that was worn on the bottom bearing land . We got the machinist to put the worm on a tool post grinder and smooth out the pits and fitted a front wheel bearing , dont ask me what as that was way too many birthdays ago and before there was so much choice of repro parts.
    34 pickup Truck still steers like new.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
    irishsteve likes this.