Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Av8 F1 steering box removal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chappy444, Apr 9, 2019.

1. More sins of the PO... what would possess a person to build a car with an F1 steering box and not rebuild the box before installing it!?!?!
    Now I have a box wedged between the header/engine and the frame rail that needs to be rebuilt and I cant see a way to get it out without major dissassembly.
    I dont think I can get the car high enough to slide the shaft out from the bottom (even if I could get the sector gear out far enough to release the shaft)...and I dont have the clearance past the engine to pull it over and up through the floor...
    Anyone else had this problem?
    If so, what did you do to get the steering box out?
    Thanks for the input
    Chappy 48624.jpeg

2. rusty valley

rusty valley

the answer is obvious, it needs enough room to get the sector shaft out of the hole in the frame. header needs to go for sure, then maybe...some twisting may give enough room, but...maybe not. the motor should be able to move to the side a bit without unhooking every thing, only you will know once you get involved. good luck

3. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Looks just like my build but I rebuilt the steering box while I was building the car. I don't think I could get mine out without pulling the engine, have you tried adjusting the box ?

Attached Files:

4. Mr cheater

Mr cheater

Take the header off for starters. Some times you just have to take a bunch of other things off to get what you need out.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

5. Thanks guys, yes... I have adjusted the sector... there is no turns left in the adjustment screw.
    It's not terrible but there is some play and I am trying to correct some front end wander and shaking issues.
    I put some more caster in it the other day and it didnt seem to help... but I still have some slop in the wheel so I cant be sure if the caster change did anything or not.
    There is zero room to move the engine up or over due to clearance issues with the fuel pump stand to firewall....
    At this point I am about ready to just blow the car apart and start over....
    Anyone have a reasonably priced rolling chassis for sale??? Lol
    I will keep you all posted on what I come up with
    Thanks again
    Chappy

6. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

I have removed my F1 box from my AV8 with the motor in. I did have to remove the headers, then it wiggled out and down, slid it forward underneath the front axle. Good luck.

F&J likes this.
  7. rusty valley

rusty valley

fuel pump stand is ten minutes, header, well thats a pain in the ass, but really you wont know untill you get the motor mounts loose, get a jack under the pan and see if it needs to go up down over whatever. only you will know

8. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

If you removed the header, would you have enough room to slide the sector out of the box while it is still bolted to the frame? And then slide the shaft out the bottom? With those removed, you might be able to get the box out. Then while everything is out, you could replace what components need attention, figure out exactly how many gasket shims you need, then reassemble it back into car in the reverse order you took it out?

9. alchemy

alchemy

I've never seen paper mache' headers before. ;)

10. they're traditional....