Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Roll down rear window

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chief956, Apr 5, 2019.

1. chief956

chief956

I have a 1931 , fourdor Model A that I want to install a manually operated roll down rear window.
    How anyone ever installed one in a sedan? The kits I see on the net are for coupes. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

dana barlow likes this.
  2. I thought about doing it with one of my 2 doors about 30 years ago but the problem became apparent after I reallt thought about it.

When you roll down the glass in a coupe it goes straight down, just like the windows in your doors, but in the tudors and the fordors the body curves slightly in on the back preventing the glass to go all the way down, much like the rear quarter windows in you fordor.

I'll stop short of saying it's impossible but trade offs will have to be considered in making it work, I believe you could do some adjusted angle with the metal channel and use some type of drain catcher to prevent water from getting in when the window is up. HRP

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
    dana barlow likes this.
  3. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I guess there maybe away to make a custom window,pos like a pickup truck that slids. Or even move window inside of car a little more (tunnuled) for more working room. If your after venting of air,it dosen't need to open all the way.

chief956 likes this.
  4. alchemy

alchemy

Since the molding/reveal around the area indents at least an inch, I'd think you could at least half the window's height of lowering before you scrape against the inside of the panel. Probably best to use the winder mechanism from a coupe's rear window. I bet a vendor sells those coupe tracks and winders.

Stick some straightedges inside the body back there and do a bit of measuring to see if you have room.

chief956 likes this.

5. I don't know if the roof on your car is chopped, the more it is chopped, the greater the chance it might work.
    If it is the stock height, the curve will be the problem as said before.

6. rusty valley

rusty valley

coupe rear window winders are hard to find. many use the pass door from a model a tudor. about the same length arm and common

7. Still have wood around the back window? Ford coupes used wood to anchor to 'till 34 I believe. The wood in my 34 coupe was gone so I built a 3/4"X3/4" square tubing frame work and bolted in a 36 Ford coupe roll down window assembly...works slick but like has already been mentioned, it goes straight down. Don't forget to make a rain tray with hose nipples to get the water outta your car.
    34backwindow.jpg

Tim and jnaki like this.
  8. You would also have to move the seat back and bottom forward some to be able to access the crank kinda like a coupes package shelf.

9. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

It's gotta cut down on the buffeting. Driving 60 or 70 just tries to blow you out. It helps to roll up one window, but in the middle of Nevada, that isn't pretty either. I've contemplated it for over 30 years, still not on my to-do list.

But on another note – years ago we put door patch panels on the bottom of the doors. What we didn't do was make sure there were drain holes on the bottom. After years of salt and water flying up and into the doors, they need new patch panels. That ain't gonna happen, either.

10. Phil P

Phil P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Before you go to all that effort you should take out the back window and try it at speed to make sure it achieves the results you want. You could get fumes sucked in. I had a station wagon and could not leave the rear window down. Phil

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
    chopnchaneled, RICH B and 49ratfink like this.