Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 28 Ford juice brake conversion, questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by VinnieCap, Apr 9, 2019.

1. VinnieCap

VinnieCap

Hey Guys,

Converting the '28 Model A to juice brakes. I have some parts... hubs, backing plates, grease baffles. I have the later backing plates '46-'48.

I needs drums, wheel cylinders, wheel studs, pads. I see drums that are 12x2 our there and 12x1 3/4.

Questions:
    1. Which drums should I be looking at 12x2 or 12x 1 3/4?
    2. Where is the best place to get these, quality and price wise?

Macs and Speedway have very different pricing.

Any help is appreciated.

I am using a plan from a HAMB thread, that my brother in law did a great job making, to mount the master cylinder...see pic

Also a pic of the car.

Thanks!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
    slv63 likes this.
  2. VinnieCap

VinnieCap

Any difference in these drums? I see a bunch of different ones and the prices vary greatly.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. alchemy

alchemy

MT Products/Boling Brothers makes some really nice looking drums. I've had them in my hands and really liked them. Haven't put them to use yet.

Stock Ford brakes will will use the 1-3/4" shoes, but the 2" drums will work also. I really doubt they make two different width drums. Actually stock Ford drums are about 2" wide, even though the shoes are 1-3/4".

I'm pretty sure the Boling drums are for use with the 40 style hub, which fits inside the drum. See my thread on what is required to install new studs in some original 40 hubs to use these repro drums. https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...t-question-new-studs-in-40-ford-hubs.1128114/

I bought some shoes last year from Carpenter that had poor machining. I sure hope they have found a better supplier by now. If I was to buy some today I'd shop at VanPelt's. He's got a ton of old Ford mechanical stuff.

4. VinnieCap

VinnieCap

5. low down A

low down A

order anything from speedway or mac's that's a nice price and you will never have to wonder again how nice they are.