Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Save of the day!!(single seater)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rusty rocket, Mar 14, 2017.

1. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Got this kool old stewart warner amp gauge today for a local ole hotroder (for free) I know its obsolete but im going to use it! image.jpg

kidcampbell71, brEad, brad2v and 2 others like this.
  2. Front looks good to me with the bars and headlights. I think the small size makes them work really well where you placed them.

MostlyOldPartsAndRust and Stogy like this.
  3. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Thanks, I think it will work. Still not to keen on the lights but at least they are small.

MostlyOldPartsAndRust and Stogy like this.
  4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Rusty will they safety a vehicle with a single beam light or are you swapping those out to Hi/Lows?...I actually like the Light Bulbs in them now they look old.

5. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

South Dakota doesn't have a safety check. If I title this as an old car (which will happen) then that is what it had as original equipment.
    I have a friend who's dad restores teens and twenties era cars, he has a few titles that he is willing to sell so I guess the car will be what ever a title says it's going to be.;)

Jet96, kidcampbell71 and Stogy like this.
  6. I like what you have going on with the Nerf bars. Any thought of tying the shock mounts and Nerf bars into one assembly? a short little piece between the 2 would make it look a little more thought out, may even consider eliminating the rear mounting bolt on the shock mount. Just a thought!
    upload_2019-4-9_8-23-0.png

7. those Farmall lights are nice and tidy. Very clean look. One small problem, the lenses for the Farmall lights are designed to illuminate about 15-20 feet in front of your, you will not have a lot of illumination very far in front of you. Automotive lights are designed to create beams of light, so you can see where you are GOING. Implementation lights are designed to help you see where you ARE!

upload_2019-4-9_8-31-2.png

jeepsterhemi likes this.
  8. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

I think you did a great job on thinking out the placement of the lights along with the nerf bar. It looks great and nothing looks out of place or commands my attention.

Hell, the whole car is like that!!!! Great job!
    I have enjoyed following this thread

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

brEad and Stogy like this.
  9. jebbesen

jebbesen
    from Winona, MN

Not sure if you have this figured out already but on my Minneapolis Moline U tractor backhoe I used sealed beam headlight bulbs from I think a 59 Ford or something that had the smaller size twin headlamps. It lights the night. I think those would fit in the Farmall housings also. Stand out job on this car by the way! You've given me many ideas.

10. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I don't really plan on driving this thing at night so the lights are mainly there so mr. Po po doesn't hassle me. I can get sealed beams thru Steiner tractor but I'm really digging the original lenses.

Stogy likes this.
  11. jebbesen

jebbesen
    from Winona, MN

I was wondering how many turns lock to lock you ended up with running that Mercury box? Also how long is your pitman arm and how long is your steer arm from the center of the kingpin?

Stogy likes this.
  12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fair enough...its nice there is a fair assessment of compliance on safety as a mechanic said to me no matter what you do to an old car they are pretty vulnerable and never will be a 2019 vette
    So being fair and not anal is something you hope will be a part of the process.

My Headlights are less than stellar performers. I limit my night driving for that reason...Oh and I have no wipers.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  13. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Oh so many questions!;) I can get you measurement tomorrow, the pitman arm is a forty ford and the steering arm I bought at a swap meet but I am sure it's the big solid steel unit from speedway. I was thinking it might be a bit slow but it isn't to bad.
    I will fill you in tomorrow.

Stogy likes this.
  14. jebbesen

jebbesen
    from Winona, MN

Great thanks. I reread thru your build thread today and it got me inspired.

Stogy likes this.
  15. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Oh Kool! Lots of crap to read! It's sure been a design as I go build.

brEad and Stogy like this.
  16. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

So heres your info , the box is 3 1/4 turns lock to lock. image.jpg image.jpg

Stogy likes this.
  17. jebbesen

jebbesen
    from Winona, MN

Super! Thank you!

Stogy likes this.
  18. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Got my nerf done today since we are having a spring South Dakota blizzard and I didnt venture out to work. image.jpg image.jpg

Jet96, Shadow Creek, patmanta and 5 others like this.
  19. Nerf looks good!

rwrj and Stogy like this.
  20. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Got a few more things done today nothing huge but a few steps closer one was getting the amp gauge hole drilled in the dash. image.jpg while I was sitting in the drivers seat taking the pic I noticed how pointy the hood is looking down it.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
    Jet96, brEad, brad2v and 5 others like this.
  21. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Woot woot big progress today! One piece of brakeline bent! image.jpg

Shadow Creek, Jet96, brad2v and 4 others like this.
  22. raven

raven

What? You haven’t got paint on this yet?
    Quality build, you going to bring it to the HAMB drags this year?
    r
    Sending you a PM.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

23. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I don't think this thing would be much of a straight line car. I would like to make it down to the drags sometime.

Stogy and brEad like this.
  24. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Don't count it out, I think that car is capable of giving a flathead Ford a run for the money. It might take a little time to get there, but there are good possibilities with that Plymouth 6 and a light weight car.

Stogy likes this.
  25. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Woot woot two lines bent! Im on a roll now. image.jpg Man if anyone else is a scrounger like i am grab every little piece of old cars before scrapping. I got all the original line clamps off about three late fortys ford frames. Throw them in a citric acid bath, give them a wire wheel and the are good as new. image.jpg

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
    brEad, brad2v, Jet96 and 5 others like this.
  26. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

The other day i got all my hood hold down brackets on. I just did a quick pop rivit on the stainless corner brackets. Once i paint it i will put real rivets in it. image.jpg

Stogy, Shadow Creek, patmanta and 4 others like this.
  27. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

See, that's what I'm talking about with your work. My hood looks like a peg-legged pirate stomped it out. Good job.

Stogy, cactus1 and brEad like this.
  28. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Oh mines a bit ruff. You know what though both of our builds don't require top notch workmanship. I'm totally happy with a few bumps and wiggles.

Stogy, brad2v, OFT and 2 others like this.
  29. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Got a few more lines bent. All the front lines fell in place but once I reached the master my bends went to hell. They are not the nicest looking but they will be hidden for the most part. image.jpg image.jpg

30. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

image.jpg image.jpg So I have all my lines bent just have to throw a flair on one end. I had bought a six foot length to do the rear of rhe car. When I bent my last line from the left over of the other rear lines it was the exact length! No cut involved, told myself I should go buy a lottery ticket but I think I just used up my good luck!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    Fitty Toomuch, Blues4U, Stogy and 4 others like this.