Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Flip gas cap vented?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Duke, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Duke

Duke

1CE87344-3FBC-4E52-995F-C3976DBED2B6.jpeg I can’t seem to find this for sure. I am installing my fuel tank in my A coupe. I am using a sea dog flip cap above my deck lid on the outside. Is the cap vented? It has a spring loaded rubber backed with steel gasket attached to the lid. If I run my vent line into the filler neck by the cap will it vent the tank?
    Thanks

2. Duke

Duke

3. BJR

BJR

Since the flip cap is for a boat I would say that it is not vented. Show us a picture of the filler neck you are using. Sounds like you are on the right track.

4. This one is vented and looks very similar to what you posted. HRP

FLIP GAS CAP

5. Duke

Duke

743DAFF8-42A3-4632-9E8B-422D13ED23A8.jpeg 7012BD68-765B-4DD7-8B38-CAB486190790.jpeg A1212703-2B4F-4212-B376-9AD5409F203B.jpeg D770C49D-DD27-4226-9FAA-DCCD651540F0.jpeg Here is my set up. The aluminum caps say they are vented. This one is stainless and the sea dog specs don’t say. I tried to find a phone number for them with no luck.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
    Stogy likes this.
  6. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

i put one of those on my henry j about 20 years ago. it is mounted on the back (where the trunk lid would be,mine doesn't have one) with a gas hose that runs down to the tank inside. i made the vent hose go into the side of the metal filler part. now for the fun part. i never had a problem living in socal (la) but then moved to the desert. one day it was in the 100's and i couldn't get it to start then it back fired up the carb and started a fire. got it out and looked down the carb and the gas was just pouring down it. i opened the cap and it stopped.i got it home and drilled a number 40 drill through it in the center of the cap and it never did that again. i figure that the gas was getting hot inside the tank and the pressure had to go somewhere, so it pushed through the needle seat. that was about 3 years ago. we have had some 112 degree days since then and no problem. i am not sure if it was a vented cap or not though. also, when it is hot out and you walk by it, you can smell gas vapor, so i guess it worked.

scullandcrossspaners likes this.
  7. Duke

Duke

I was thinking I could drill a hole through the side above where the gasket would seat and one in the washer.

8. BJR

BJR

Can you blow through the new gas cap from the bottom and see if any air comes out the top? If it does, it's vented.

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Duke likes this.
  10. Duke

Duke

I was able to track down a phone number for sea dog- the cap is vented. This is good news. Is the piece of oem filler pipe with the door a good addition to the system? The only disadvantage is another joint in the system that could leak.

11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This raises an interesting question. I have a vent coming off my tank coiling around and out the floor to outside. If the cap is in fact vented is that vent off the tank required?

And get this they offer a splashback vent that fits in the line that prevents that which I believe would also prevent the vent in the cap working...

My cap is actually like the one HRP posted which is similar but different and it's description says vents through a screw which I question even if it has a vented screw...

s-l300.jpg

Polished Aluminum Flip Top Gas Fill commonly used on small to mid sized ski and runabout boats. Also will fit Hot Rod tanks made by Moon or Eelco.
    Does not include any base gasket or bolts.

Cross reference Empi 16-6033

They are for 2 in fill hose. 2" is the outside diameter of the fill neck.
    Flange size is 2.550 in wide x 3.430 in long.
    Bolt center to center is 1.735 in wide x 2.600 in long

The caps vent through the screw hole that retains the gasket when closed <<<<<<<?

This listing is produced by Rex Marine

:rolleyes:
    ...Note they don't supply Gasket or Hardware...

I will say in either of these vendors caps with all the fancy pics you'd figure one would be devoted to vent location...but nope...:confused:

INVISIBLEKID likes this.
  12. Interesting...... but, the BOTTOM line is= If the tank is in the trunk/rear compartment, it should have a NON vented cap, and a vent SHOULD be placed in the filler tube venting OUTSIDE of the body/trunk area/what have you.......This is VERY critical if your battery is back there also! Cannot stress this enough!
    If your filler neck is outside the body- A vented cap is acceptable. If using a non vented cap outside, a vent is required in the fill tube that still exit's outside......... Gotta vent somehow/way.........Be safe with the choices,and smart.........

XXL__ and Stogy like this.
  13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My cap is outside on top of quarter near tulip panel and yes the battery is in the trunk. All good things to keep in mind.

INVISIBLEKID likes this.
  14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So @Duke if the cap is vented technically your cut out additional vent would be 2 vents...overkill?...Maybe.

15. Duke

Duke

I was going to run the vent line from the tank to the cut off piece. I was hoping it would allow air out of the tank while filling. I was wondering if the oem flap has some sort of value for stopping fuel splashing out after filling. The other option is to add a barb to the flip cap under the panel so the vent line could be attached. I think they vent through hole in the gasket in the center. Stogy, I was thinking of running a separate vent like you did. But wondered if this would work as well.

Stogy likes this.
  16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have fill issues perhaps due to angles even with the vent from the tank. You are right though when fuel is being pumped into the tank the filler neck alone may not allow for proper venting.

17. Duke

Duke

I am worried about filling issues, I have to run two 90’ bends to get to the tank. Is yours similar?

Stogy likes this.
  18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Slightly different but similar. My vent off the tank has an incorrect valve so that could be part of the problem. So your tank vent will go to your filler neck and coupled with the vent in cap should work alright I guess..

I believe its supposed to have a 1 way vent in addition to a rollover valve so it allows pressure to vent out but not in. The rollover is actuated in something we would never want to happen, happens.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
    Duke likes this.
  19. And to add to further discussion......My bad here- if the tank ITSELF has a vent, WE want the vent tube to be higher than the tank itself.... Loops/coils, a hard line above the fuel level..... As long as the system is NOT pressurized. WE cannot have a system that is closed off...... It need's to vent, and in a safe place= away from exhaust, battery, and passenger compartments.

20. Duke

Duke

I was hoping by running the vent line to the cap that things would be safe and work. In the open and away from everything.

Stogy likes this.
  21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The place that sell the caps have proper fuel hose too so that something to keep in mind as well.

22. Duke

Duke

I was able to source the proper filler hose locally which saved lots on shipping.

Stogy likes this.
  23. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Trunk_1.jpg

29_back.jpg

My LA roadster show layout...:D
    Like everything there are ways to improve...

INVISIBLEKID likes this.
  24. Duke

Duke

Looks very similar to mine, I wonder why it won’t fill? My plan B if mine doesn’t work is to add a roll over valve to the return fitting on the tank and run another vent. I wonder if a Perko one way flow valve would help in your filler before the tank?

25. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think it may be a sharp 90 or 45 on the filler cap unit itself. I have to look at it but I always fill slow and I have had some spillovers that generate a lot of cussing to myself...:D...but boy it takes 60 bucks of fuel no problemo...I generally fill when it gets to a 1/4 tank.

INVISIBLEKID and Duke like this.