Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Buick 8 in A-D Chevy Pickup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MO54Frank, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I have nothing real to add other than chuckling at the idea that recessing the fire wall to clear 4 or 5 more inches in a full size truck is looked at by some as not going to fit.

That would make nearly nothing fit in a model A by that logic lol.

If you were running the “smaller” 8 I bet it fits with the same or less work that making an 8 fit.

The time you spent denting the fire wall and moving the radiator a bit is probably less time that trying to figure out if your moving the steering box or mounting the engine offset if you were using a v8

Hnstray likes this.
  2. MO54Frank

MO54Frank

Thanks Tim. The pic coilover posted of the Duramax in a 54 Chevy does not seem too extreme of a setup to me. I could do that to make a Buick 8 fit. That arrangement might be better than cutting into the firewall. I really need an engine handy to measure then see how it lays out under the hood of the Chevy. (Right now this discussion is only academic as I don't have a truck. Dang it.)
    The truck pictured in my avatar I owned from 1999 to 2001. It had a SBC in it when I got it. Seller said it was a 307 and had been in it a long time before he got it. It had rear exit exhaust manifolds off of I don't know what. The steering box was moved outboard of the frame rail about 2". It had bellhousing mounts to the crossmember and homemade side engine mounts. Wish I could have kept that truck.
    Thanks again for all responses.

Attached Files:

3. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Other than a somewhat cool factor I don't see the point in putting a smaller engine in than a GMC which will almost bolt in. To get a GMC in a Chevy you have to move the radiator and front motor mounts forward about 1 1/2". You can get to 302 ci with just the stock Jimmy engine, 340ci or so with a built one. There isn't much more room to go forward so you'll have to go into the firewall and floor boards. The cross member will likely have to be moved back and new catch linkage made if you use a stick shift. he shifter will end up in the seat.There isn't much room under the dash to get to wires, heater, defroster, etc. Just saying it would be a lot of work. Extending the frame and sheet metal and using Buick grill, bumper, and port holes would look cool. It would have to be a long bed for proportions. My son photoshopped a chopped one for me years ago but I can't find it now. We started with a GMC pickup. I wouldn't consider anything except the big Buick 8.

4. MO54Frank

MO54Frank

5. The engine mounts do say 1948 or later. The 1950 and later had another change. Once one sees it, he will not forget. And 1950 was the last 248.

Ben