Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Steering column question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Space Wolf, Apr 6, 2019.

1. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Slowing the line to do something irrelevant, multiplied across an entire model run, costs a ton of money.

Bandit Billy and Fordors like this.
  2. nugget32

nugget32

Yup, follow the manufactorers instructions. It there ever was an issue with steering that resulted in some bad shit, the maunfactorer would tell you to get lost if their part was improperly installed. I too was a mechanical engineer and designed a lot of power transmitting equipment from minut horsepower applications using 2 u -joints up to turbo shaft jet engines making many thousands of HP. ALL of our drive shafts had the joints in phase. If we did not do this the customer would not accept the design.

Sent from my Chromebook 11 Model 3180 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. gene-koning

gene-koning

The steering on my car is 3 1/2 turns lock to lock. That would be 1 3/4 turn from center, for those of you slow on math today. I don't believe I will be turning it fast enough, or long enough, to feel any out of phase from the 3 u joints in my steering shaft.

Now, I suppose if I were sitting on the fender watching the column in one of those few moments I may be required to turn from lock to lock as fast as I can, I might not like to see what the steering shaft is doing. In all reality, I'd probably be more horrified because of the reason I would have needed to put the column through that awful experience, and I probably wouldn't want to be sitting on the fender during that experience..

Now, the drive shaft in my car is an entirely different matter. At 70 mph, that sucker is really spinning. I want everything right on it. Gene

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  4. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

Add my vote for phasing of steering joints!
    I worked on a model a hot rod for my employer..
    This thing has been thru every shop and expert in the area for over a decade.
    It had this weird spot where it would get just a little more difficult to turn .. barely noticable..
    What got my attention was once it got past that spot..it would dive to whatever direction you were turning !
    Tore it apart , phased both joints..
    Problem solved..
    Drove like a dream...
    Dave

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

nugget32 likes this.
  5. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Having them in phase certainly isn't going to hurt anything

6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Apples to doughnuts.

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tim and 31Vicky with a hemi like this.
  8. I’m not sure what others are basing their arguments on here....as already said phasing is for vibration. Does not make a bit of difference in the steering Shaft

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

9. nugget32

nugget32

You are correct about the steering part of this equation, how
    however , best to do as the maunfactorer says to do it, common sense. Do what ever you want, this is a free country, at least for the moment.

10. nugget32

nugget32

Yup.

11. nugget32

nugget32

????????

12. This stuff doesn’t phase me

alchemy and nugget32 like this.
  13. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

You have 3 legs. Now you switched one leg for another. Now you turn the other direction.

14. Just Say'n just to confuse the issue further From:
    https://www.hotrod.com/articles/street-rod-steering-made-simple/

Street Rod Steering Made Simple
    Written by Brian Brennan on March 5, 2015
    Jason Scudellari - photographer;

11. Note: Whenever two joints are used on a shaft the joints must be phased. In other words, the forks of the yokes closest to each other should be in line (in phase), if not binding or premature wear may result.

[​IMG]

nugget32 likes this.
  15. Nope:D

16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, a content director wrote it, so it must be gospel truth.

I'm out. I am done talking to people who won't listen.

I am going to go sit on my pile of money, that I earned, as an Automotive Engineer.

This just like the 010 myth, that just won't die.

perry parsons likes this.
  17. Clik

Clik

Watch the video again. Note that the demonstrable effect is at a very slow RPM. Now imagine traversing a windy mountain road and wanting the steering to be equally progressive as you crank the wheel through the turns. An out of phase steering shaft will have the effect of a steering box that has a different ratio at different positions on the steering wheel. Depending on box ratio it could be more or less. It may not bother some people but it would probably bother me.

18. Clik

Clik

Another way to imagine the feel would be to mount your steering wheel slightly off center.

19. chrisp

chrisp

I suppose the phasing on which they focus so much is mainly to play it safe because there will always be the guy that will build his steering with crazy angles and if not in phase will bind.
    Now OEM don't care about premature ware if at 500k miles instead of 700k miles. If they save 30sec on the assembly of a car when they assemble 500k cars that represent a lot of $.

20. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Finally, someone gets it.

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  21. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

Gimpy is right, the phase issue comes into play when the angle is too much and you wind up with steering flop. Sometimes if you phase the joints it will correct the problem if the angle is not too much. I always phase them so when my Hobby members are at the local car show some know it all doesn't tell them it is phased wrong.

22. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Getting DD shafted joints out of phase is a bit tough unless the joint manufacturer F's up.
    [​IMG]