Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods License Plate Restoration

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jimmy six, Apr 5, 2019.

1. #6 makes it sound like prior to 1963 plates you can run whatever you want......auto plates on a pickup ????

YOM-rules.jpg

2. I guess if you want to argue with the DMV go for it. But I would rather find another one that knows their own laws.

3. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm no expert but I've got non commercial YOM plates on my '39 p/u and had two '40 1 1/2 ton trucks both of which had non commercial YOM plates. I took the plates to the DMV (2 different offices) and each time just paid the YOM fee AND the weight fees and all was good. On the first set I got for one of the '40's I used to own the clerk didn't charge the correct fees so Sacramento sent me a letter wanting more $$. I sent them the addition money and the paperwork and stickers came back in the mail. 0300000f.jpg

4. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

It has been my experience they will allow car plates on pre-63 trucks even if the reg says "commercial". But the DMV has been known to make up the rules as they go along even if they conflict with their owns books. Their own documentation listed 1956 trailer plates as 6 inches wide a few years ago. I had to correct them on that. If they had another brain it would be lonely.

5. Uncle Ronn

Uncle Ronn
    from Modesto CA

Thanks for the replies pertaining to CA.
    My fear was that they may try to confiscate some "kinda" expensive plates

Def. gonna try now as I don't need wall hangers either.

6. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

There are at least 3 plate restorers at Charlotte Auto Fair in April & now October. Saw lots of plates this past week-end. NC law is pretty liberal. YOM does not necessarily require it to be a NC tag (or color).

Attached Files:

mgtstumpy likes this.