Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 48-52 F1 shift column

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by jdpaxton, Apr 8, 2019.

1. jdpaxton

jdpaxton

I don`t recall ever seeing an F1 with 3 on the tree. I am looking for the box and column from an F1 and thought if I use a side shift tranny and a 1940 passenger style column I could have more cab room. (Column shift hot rods I recall seeing in 1950`s rod mags). So if there is no column shift F1`s can the column tube from a 40 thru 48 pass be simply changed out?

2. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The first column shift F-1 pickups came in '51 as an option. I don't think you can simply change out from a '40-'48 pass car, because of the differences between car and F truck cabs and chassis without some modifications, fabrication etc.

3. I had one in my '52 F-1 before switching to a 5 speed. Finding the entire column tube/shifter assembly would be the best route, as the tubes are different than the floor shift models.

4. jdpaxton

jdpaxton

Thanks. So I am now looking for a complete 51-52 F1 steering gear with column shift. About the only thing I will lose is the steering wheel lock/switch original to the 40 thru 48 pass. which is ok I guess. Any help locating one close to Nebraska is appreciated.

5. Turnipseed

Turnipseed

I'm pretty sure that the first F1 with column shift was the 'late' 1950 model. My dad bought one new in 1950 and that is what I learned to drive in. It had a flathead V8 and column shift 3 speed. It also had the '51-'52 style bed with the flat bed sides, but was definitely a '50 because it had the '48-'50 grille.

6. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

Yes, Ford changed a lot of things in the mid '50 model year. Column shift, flat sided boxes and a couple of other things.

Turnipseed likes this.
  7. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

This is what they look like. IMG_2837.JPG IMG_2838.JPG

dwollam likes this.
  8. Turnipseed

Turnipseed

9. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Ford built a very limited number of column shift pickups in 41, I have one connected to a full synchro Saginaw in mine. It's funny they didn't offer it again for another 10 years. IMG_1842.JPG IMG_2192.JPG

LOU WELLS and dwollam like this.
  10. David Chandler

David Chandler

I had 2 52's. They were both column shifted 3 speeds. One was a 239 V8 RT, the other a 215 OHV six. Probably the same column and trans, in both of them.

11. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Late 50 for column shift as stated . I had a 50 cab that had pieces of column and shifter . I’m 100 % sure it was untampered with and was OEM . I’m thinking trans was near same as a car from the era , but not 100 % sure of this . I really don’t think they worked the best in 51 a year after they were new .

12. Halfdozen

Halfdozen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The shift lever, tube and mechanism at the bottom look exactly like a shoebox Ford car. Same years... The bell behind the truck steering wheel would have a post that the top end of the shift tube slides on, I'll bet if you put a car assembly and the truck mast jacket side by side on a workbench you could combine the two with a little ingenuity and light fab. Might be easier than finding rare original parts.

13. Funny how it never seems to end how one can switch things around. I went back to the top to see what your shifter is actually going in but no info on it. I was curious about your Clutch linkage set up. Here is what I know. Back when I started my Model A roadster I wanted to run a column shift and had a 41 Truck column unit without a steering gear. I had a 40 Car steering gear without a tube. The two went right together. I was in, so I thought. I had built my Frame with a 36 X member and 39 pedal unit and linkage. Once I sat the body on I learned the column shift arms don't work with a 39 pedal set up. Being I didn't have a 40 pedal set I changed to a 39 gear shift lever and removed the column shift parts off the column tube. Weird eh? So some day I hope to land a 40 Car pedal unit so I can change back to what I wanted in the beginning.

14. Budget36

Budget36

Might be more cost effective to put a floor shifter in?

15. jdpaxton

jdpaxton

darn that's perfect. It may be getting tougher for me to find that 41 only mast.
    I have a very stock 33 ford with the exception of a current 59ab. I want to drop a 283 in and have collected those parts. I have used a Muncie 4sp in a 32. Thought about an S10 5sp and then a 39 tranny. I came across a 40 merc tranny in my stash and thought it might just be better with a side loader but use a column shift. The old floor shift conversion with a fenton shifter is not something I want to do again!!! I also am not planning on hacking up the X member for a later trans and Muncie shift linkage but super WOW on how the 4sp woke up my 32 coupe with 3.55 posi…..and 59AB. (Maybe the car is still out there...sold her about 5 years ago and it went to Illinois....fenderless 5 windo, 3 carbs and red oxide primer. pm me if you have). Anyway maybe the 40-48 column mast can be used on a 48-52 gear like mentioned above.

16. So be very aware of clutch linkage to shift rod issues. 33 works much like 39 unit does. You should also make provisions for anti chatter rods when using this system. Things get a little tight.

17. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

memory says that '48 car did not have the steering column mount key / lock … '32 - '47 yes...

LOU WELLS likes this.
  18. F&J

F&J

Sometimes when we try to use something already in our stash to save money or parts chasing, we end up with way more work & chasing even more parts than if we used some common sense?

Just me, but I prefer a top shift 3 speed with the long shifter in an early car. Does it need to be a "39" trans for how you plan to drive it, or can you get by with what is in it now? (I assume it has a working 3 speed top shift?)

19. jdpaxton

jdpaxton

Thanks Wizard. I have the side shift trans on a bench and an extra set of 33 pedals. I laid them up in an aprox location and immediately see what is wrong and the need for a 40 ford (or newer?) pedal set. The cross shaft used on the later models to operate the clutch that runs from left frame to bellhousing is I think what you mention and probably is needed. Thanks.
    Frank I agree with the top shift after owning a lot of them. It was not until I bought and drove a really low mileage 39 that had very little slop in the lever that I kinda liked it. My old heaps when shifting reminded me of sturring pancake mix. I never have taken the old 33 out but for maybe 20 feet so I really have no idea how good the tranny is OR even if is original. That will be the next step. I guess I don`t plan on beatin the ol girl but if I have the trans out for brgs, shims, probably a reverse idler, and seals, it might make sense to go with a 39. I don` have one but do have a "78"case and the 40 merc gears. I did the inspection and need another input shaft, possible the syncro collar and reverse idler. I understand everything fits as long as you use the 81A top cover.
    I think I have a set of later pedals from a 46 or there abouts and then would need the cross shaft and ball frame mount for a side loader clearance.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  20. Your on the right track now. Seems we never have 100 percent of exactly what we need eh?

21. F&J

F&J

Yes, I know exactly what you felt.

A local guy has a "one family owned" 51 Chevy pickup that barely has 20,000 original miles, never was in salt, always taken care of. I have never felt such a perfect column shifter in my 50+ years of driving old cars.

It even brought back memories with that sound they make when the shifter drops the gate to go from 1st to 2nd. Worn out ones do not have that quiet sound, they have a metallic clunk instead.

To top it off, the steering box was super mint, that it was silky smooth even when parking, and not a hint of slop.

22. I may have a three speed column from a 53 truck

23. jdpaxton

jdpaxton

Please let me know. [email protected]