Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Spring Englishtown swap meet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scrappybunch, Apr 8, 2019.

1. scrappybunch

scrappybunch
    from nj

Anyone plan on going? Heard it's $12.00 to get in.

2. misigis

misigis
    from NY

Stopped going years ago.

3. if you are going to complain about the admission fee, then don't go.

4. Went to the Spring swap in Columbus this past weekend. only three cars HAMB friendly in the Corral and mostly late model stuff. One Y Block 3 Duce intake, no Flathead parts, a lot of chrome venders. Disappointed:(.

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

If you do go be sure to take pics & post here

6. ..........You heard right!:eek:

7. scrappybunch

scrappybunch
    from nj

Thanks for the advice.

8. scrappybunch

scrappybunch
    from nj

Couple of pics. Good to be there, but sad to see it going downhill. The start lights are gone, but the timing display is still there.
    You almost would not know it's closed, pretty much looks the same.
    As for swap meet finds not much. Most is just old mowers, sno blowers, weed wackers, old junky bikes... Not very many auto parts or potential projects. IMG_1622 (1).JPG IMG_1623 (1).JPG IMG_1624 (1).JPG

9. scrappybunch

scrappybunch
    from nj

One of the very few project vehicles there. 20190413_101743.jpg

10. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

The dilemma a lot of swap meets face is if you enforce a 80 percent automotive content for example you might not get enough vendors to cover costs.
    If you open it up to anyone then it becomes a flea market with car parts even though more vendors cover expenses.
    Putting on a swap meet costs money....anyone who has done it or helped knows the amount of time and money it costs to do it right.

11. scrappybunch

scrappybunch
    from nj

Agree.
    You would have found plenty of good Tecumseh's there, side poppers, H5's .

12. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

I’m always interested in HS40 and HS50’s especially with lighting coils

scrappybunch likes this.
  13. scrappybunch

scrappybunch
    from nj

You would of have had a "field" day. Most were still on the original snow blower, with lights.

14. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

This used to be a great show it's a shame it went downhill so fast. I was a vendor at that show for 20 years or better and really enjoyed the friends I made there, prices were always good and then the lawnmowers showed up. I can remember that some of the parts vendors would say if I don't sell it this weekend I'll sell on eBay I have to admit I didn't know what the hell they are talking about. I really miss those days.

scrappybunch likes this.
  15. I, too, gave up selling at the Englishtown swap meet. The last couple of tomes that I sold, I couldn't make enough to cover expenses. I then would go to see what I could buy. But then I quit doing that as pickings were slim. I did find the deal of a life time there about 12 years ago. It was a nice genuine Pines waterfront for a 1932 Ford for $ 50.00. the vendor said he cleaned out some ones garage, and he didn't know what it fit. As an old time swap meet vendor once told me, ":knowledge is power."

16. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I'm just glad there are still swap meets to go to.. Not many good ones left though....

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  17. So true, sadly.

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  18. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Guess I didnt miss anything, I was planning on going but just ran out of time. I saw they reopened the part of blacktop they had fenced off the last couple of years? Was hoping this year would be better because of that.
    I sold for many years at etown before the internet ruined it, used to be able to find anything. Still parts there but lately it has been hard to find stuff. I just got back from the stafford springs CT swap meet, was hoping to find a set of 15x7 cragar SS wheels for a friend, that would be an easy find years ago. Didnt see one set, in fact very few sets of "cool" older style wheels at all.

19. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

Nice Marlin, I'd love to do one one day but I've got way more than I can handle.

20. Barry Kruger

Barry Kruger

Last time I went to Etown swap fall meet ( about 8 years ago) there was a great selection of washing machines, old fold up beds, piles of rusty snow plows and some swill car parts. Was a great show many years ago but since we are at the bottom of the barrel for old car goodies to be found what can you do? Well - what you can do is go to Rhinebeck New York Dutchess county fairgrounds this weekend May 3 and 4 and you will see many old car items to be had for fair $$$. If you have been here you know what I am talking about.