Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Roll bar for TROG

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Vonn Ditch, Mar 22, 2019.

1. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

Well I don’t have a car for TROG nor do I intend to have one. I also don’t presume to tell other people what they should or shouldn’t do. Motorsports like everything else has evolved. There is a reason things like roll bars, seat belts, helmets have evolved and continue to evolve. Why would you not take advantage of these improvements or get angry at people or associations who impose any sort of safety improvements.

I have read many of the attitudes here of “don’t tell me what to do” “ it ruins the looks of the car” or “I would rather die doing what makes me happy” Whatever! Do what you want to do.

My opinion for what it is worth, is dying while doing what makes you happy is the simple solution. The more complicated solution is becoming seriously injured, paralyzed, unable to work or becoming a physical, mental or financial burden on family or friends. Again why would you not take advantage of safety improvements developed as a result of many people’s deaths or injuries or become irritated at a sponsoring association imposing safety requirements. I would suspect your opinion and your family’s opinion will be quite different.

INVISIBLEKID and RidgeRunner like this.
  2. joncrane

joncrane

TROG won't let me in so it does not impact my A Speedster. Will go to Lincoln Neb for the hill climb instead.

Remember when I was in High School and we took our mother's 53 Chevy grocery getter to the Loop in Asbury Park.
    We had a roll bar (bed frame headboard) cut off and nailed to a board sitting in the back seat. Oh we were so cool. Three on the tree and when we shifted the roll bar flopped around on the backseat.
    Good times

kidcampbell71 and saltflats like this.
  3. Commodoreswab

Commodoreswab
    from West TN

There are those that want to race competitively and those that just want to go have fun. Requiring things like roll bars makes it less "fun" for those just looking to build something vintage and play

Blues4U and jimgoetz like this.
  4. So open cars with rollbars beach racing would look dumb and historically incorrect?
    upload_2019-4-10_18-37-9.png upload_2019-4-10_18-38-2.png upload_2019-4-10_18-39-43.png

The37Kid and Vanness like this.
  5. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

/\/\ Those are some funny looking prewar rides right there...….

Blues4U and jimgoetz like this.
  6. Commodoreswab

Commodoreswab
    from West TN

Yes. A proper prewar car

Attached Files:

treb11 likes this.
  7. Steeb

Steeb
    from New Jersey

It's a roll bar, not really a huge deal. It's pretty easy to make one and I am fairly certain I will still have "fun" in my roadster with one. I get the himmin and hawin, but thems the rules...

8. You missed the point.

Rollbars if done correctly can be period correct.
    I don't understand the objection to being safe. I have never had a fire should I throw out my smoke alarms?

I have been the T.R.O.G. in 2013 at that point I said the cars should have rollbars. Most of them were just hopped up street cars, now guys are building full on race cars.

If open wheel car make wheel to wheel contact they are going to flip simple as that!

Inked Monkey, Steeb and mad mikey like this.
  9. Steeb

Steeb
    from New Jersey

Guys went real big last year and I'm all for it. If I can hang with them, I'll give it a shot.

Robert J. Palmer likes this.
  10. pumpman

pumpman

Will motorcycles have to have roll bars?

11. As far as not being fun by running a rollbar. As I said earlier in this thread I am building a car to race with the Mohawk Valley Vintage Dirt Modifieds, Vintage Antique class.

I planed to use no parts newer then 1963 including an aluminum beer keg, however Modern Oval Track Fuel Cells are required. I am going to make the cell bolt in so I can dispaly or run it with the keg at events like the Jalopy Show Down. (I have seen fuel cells mounts on some weekly class cars that look scary. I would feel safer with a well mounted keg!)

I am not a fan of the next rule. All drives must use a one way track radio, I can't stand having a car radio on!
    I don't like this rule but if I want to race with them I have to do it.

I fail to see how adding a few modern safety features to my racecar could take the fun out of this club-
    - No charge to join this club.
    -Race 6 times a year at various Tracks around Albany N.Y. as part of the regular Saturday or Sunday show with a two free pit passes.

This car was built to run in the Vintage Antique class
    I know it has a few bolt on that look out of place. Change them bolt an old set of wide racecar wheel with M&H RaceMaster dirt tires and you would be hard pressed to tell if this car was built in 1959 or 2019.

The chassis, and cage look period correct and are safe
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
    pirate, The37Kid and Moselli like this.