Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods License Plate Restoration

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jimmy six, Apr 5, 2019.

1. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Anyone here have a place or guy they like for doing plate restorations. Thanks...

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've seen posts somewhere on a go to guy in Cali that does it. I'm not into YOM plates as I think they are rather lame with you have 1930 plates on a hot rod built to look like it was built in 1952. but to each his own.

3. cpd682

cpd682
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from DFW, Texas

Mine were done by Vintage Plate Restoration and turned out very nice.

http://vintageplaterestoration.com/

4. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

We love riding down the highway, some vehicle passes with personalized tags...something like "ME2FRTIE".
    Must mean something to them...I want cheapest tag I can get!

Sent from my Bell Candlestick

gas & guns likes this.

5. goldmountain

goldmountain

I've seen old magazine coverage of cars with YOM plates and they help the general public what year our cars were made.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5window likes this.
  6. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

in Nebraska, it saves alot of money & headache...yom plates cost you $85 to register and it goes down $10 for each subsequent car you might have, bottoming out at $55..you only have to register it once, the registration is good for as long as you own the car, no yearly renewals...my 40 Ford pictured 2016-10-12 03.16.08.jpg

classiccarjack and Dave Mc like this.
  7. Some states, like Florida, do not allow a plate to be restored and put on a vehicle.
    Plus you cannot use Blue Dots in Florida unless your vehicle was built before 1948...

8. 6sally6

6sally6

Gotta guy here in SC that "re-duz"'em but not very cost effective for you! IF the plates not too beat-up I would use it as-is!
    In my case....1966 Mustang....I WANTED the plate to look original age! RE-newed ones look kinda phoney to me....Jus say'in.
    IF its a 70 year old vintage car....then the license plate should look vintage. Of course...if the plate is a gob-of-rusty-shit...then that's different. SC won't let you use plates that are toooo beat up.
    6sally6

9. 38 Chevy

38 Chevy

So lets talk about cost. There are guys on the inter-web that advertise plate restoration for as high as $150 per
    plate. I found a guy in Alabama that does plates for $45 to $55 per plate depending on their condition. He does
    only embossed plates with no reflective paint. He does not have a computer or smart phone and just got his first
    flip phone. I sure hope he doesn't care that I put his name on the H.A.M.B.
    Joe Kandalec
    P.O. Box 474
    Oneonta Al. 35121
    205-300-4963
    Here is some of his work
    20170721_235830_resized.jpg 20170721_235903_resized.jpg 20180219_112645_resized.jpg

10. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Try this guy, oldpl8s here on the HAMB. He's put of Pasadena. Sold some plates to my nephew for an O/T MG a while ago. Nice plates, no issues. http://www.oldpl8s.com/

Special Ed and 1oldtimer like this.
  11. Uncle Ronn

Uncle Ronn
    from Modesto CA

CA DMV won't allow restored plates. I've witnessed an elderly woman try to register and they said the plates looked like they had been restored and rejected her request. I've heard of cases were they will confiscate your plates so be careful.

also seen plenty of restored plates on cars in Cali .

So whats the secret guys? Fill us in

12. rusty valley

rusty valley

i dont use em because i dont trust the cops. i'd rather have the normal plate instead of running into the rookie that doesnt know the law. i tried to restore some once, used every kind of roller i could buy/make, and still could not duplicate the original look where the paint slightly rolls over the edge of the stamped number. i then painted them by hand, and well, it was ok, but not right

classiccarjack likes this.
  13. 63galaxie406

63galaxie406

I had a pair of ‘51 CA commercial plates restored by MoJo Art Works. $80 per plate. Totally happy with them. He also did a couple of small repairs too for that price. When I registered my ‘55 F100 with the ‘55 tag on them DMV didn’t say anything but nice plates.
    Don’t use Darryl’s in PA, Got my ‘56 plates back after 13 months. Really nice, but 13 months?

14. Going to different DMVs until you get one that will take them. I had one DMV tell me they NEEDED to be restored before I can run them, went to the next closest DMV (about an hour later) and they went right through.

I second that.

Uncle Ronn and classiccarjack like this.
  15. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Clean the plates top base metal and etch prime before you paint the base coat, white and yellow in these plates. Then wait until paint is dry before carefully wet rubbing, drying and applying the colour coasts, green and black. Wait until they're dry and carefully wet rub the border and numbers with 800 or so W&D with a rubbing block to get crisp clean edges. Be careful not to rub through and be consistent. When done clear coat and voila, restored plates.
    upload_2019-4-6_18-0-13.png upload_2019-4-6_18-0-21.png

Vanness, Lil32, Special Ed and 2 others like this.
  16. 5window

5window

I like YOM plates, but fully restored plates look more show car/street rod to me and that's fine if that's your car. Pretty close, maybe done with a fine brush, that's hot rod.

17. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The simple way would be to carry a copy of the applicable state law concerning year of manufacture plates.

18. rusty valley

rusty valley

larry, that would work fine after you got stopped, i prefer not to get stopped in the first place. same reason i always run two tail lights on my pre 49 cars

19. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey guys this thread is for getting it done by someone you trust. The plates have been on for 6 years and were not a problem to get registered even being "repainted" back then. I want to have them redone much better.
    I didn't think this was going to end up being a pissing match liking them or not....
    Thanks for the suggestions

20. 5window

5window

Several vendors listed in Hemming's usually. If you lived in a real hot rod state { :) } you could find guys at Carlisle or Hershey to see their work and take care of you. Good luck.

21. j3harleys

j3harleys

I had 1962 plates on my avatar.Most people didn't get, But like you said to each his own. I liked it. And no it was not legal.

22. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

I printed out the section regarding yom plates from the dmv website & carry it with the registration for my 1940 plate 2016-10-12 03.22.32.jpg , just in case

classiccarjack likes this.
  23. oj

oj

How do you find out the exact original color? My '27 Virginia tags needs to be some putrid green, I tried to find it on the internet but they kept steering me to Chrysler products.
    I just gave Joe a call and left a message.

Matt Miller likes this.
  24. Try this site: http://www.worldlicenseplates.com
    remember the accuracy of the color depends on the adjustment of your computer monitor.

Charlie Stephens

25. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

26. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

At least one if not several plate vendors are at the SoCal meets. The Big 3 in San Diego and the LA Roadster's Father's Day meet in Pomona to name 2. Going to the meet at the drags at Famoso next weekend and my guess is that someone will be there as well.

5window likes this.
  27. atch

atch

What's the chances that anyone at the DMV or a member of your local constabulary would have any clue as to what color the plates originally were? While I don't use (and probably never will) YOM plates I'd be sorely tempted to choose colors I liked and go with them.

Reviewing the site that Charlie Stephens referenced it looks like your Virginia plates were a different color pretty much every year from '06 through '31. Who's gonna be checking that close?

Of course if you like the '27 red on green then disregard everything I've said.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
  28. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

There used to be a rumor about not allowing restored plates and some stupid DMV clerks used to deny them. Fortunately the new DMV application actually states restoration is ok. YOM-rules.jpg

Uncle Ronn and ffr1222k like this.
  29. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

wrong!

30. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

Thanks for the referral