Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Buick Straight 8

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by willymakeit, Apr 7, 2019.

1. willymakeit

willymakeit

I have a friend who has a 40 Buick straight 8,that I need to set a reasonable price on.
    This motor was installed approximately 50 years ago and is a new from GM motor. Car was stored and occasionally drove but maintained at dealership.
    This is a complete motor with everything including original air cleaner and 3 speed trans.
    Any idea of value?
    He doesn’t do cell phones or internet.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

If there is any documentation or other proof of the engines history I think that would make a big difference in potential value. Just for a rough comparison, I bought a rebuilt '53 263 cubic inch Buick 8 from a trustworthy seller for $1000. Your friends engine , if it's a '40, should be a 248 cubic inch engine, but like SBC's, is the same external size and configuration as the later 263.

Hmmm....just realized I am making an assumption here....you did not say what series Buick this engine is from. It could be a 320 cubic inch. Series 40 and 50 (Special and Super) were 248......Series 60 and 70/80/90 (Century, Roadmaster and Limited) were 320's.

The real issue is (besides authenticating the engine's condition) is finding a motivated buyer. No doubt they are out there. Possibly some HAMBERs, eBay, Buick Club of America (BCA), and the Antique Auto Club of America are groups that are ones's best bet.

gggholson likes this.
  3. Stooge

Stooge

Like Ray stated, without knowing which size engine it is, it is hard to put an approximate value on it. My complete, low'ish mile 320 straight 8, with video of it running, I paid $500 for, which I was happy to pay. the transmission, with the extra gear sets, I probably have around a grand into, so $1500 so far, but they are both the more desirable and seemingly harder to come by engine and transmission. The smaller 248 engine with the 5 bolt top transmission are a little easier to come by and from what I've been seeing, with the right buyer, could probably get in the $750 range, but potentially less. the 320, 6 bolt transmission combo, I would think you could get in the $1000-$1200 range for, maybe even a bit more if you can prove its a low mileage engine and could potentially be dropped right in. $500-$750 seems to be the going price for just the engine if its complete.

Hnstray likes this.
  4. kbgreen

kbgreen
    1. Georgia Hambers

I just paid $1,200 for a completely remachined 1940 320 engine with new pistons, bearings, cam, lifters, etc. I have another running 320, no smoke, ran fine but can't get $300 for it. I also have a better chance of selling a 1940 320 engine in Atlanta, GA than I do in Atlanta, IN. There aren't many people looking for this engine so even finding the buyer in a larger city can be tough.

Hnstray and F&J like this.

5. F&J

F&J

usually, the person who needs something like this is 2500 miles away. You simply must understand this when pricing it realistically.

belair and Hnstray like this.
  6. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

If it is so good why does he want to get rid of it? If you want top price leave it in the car and advertise every month in Hemmings until someone needs exactly that motor real bad, this may take years. If you want it out of the road expect to sell for a bargain price. It should have some value depending on condition but don't expect anyone to take your word for it, if they can see it run and do a compression test that is different. For the right price you can afford to take a chance if you get my drift.

belair likes this.
  7. willymakeit

willymakeit

He did a swap to 455. It was a rust free 4 door.
    I’m just looking for reasonable value.

8. willymakeit

willymakeit

Thanks this gives me the info for him

9. willymakeit

willymakeit

Thanks