Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1950 DODGE Coronet

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by FECH, Apr 4, 2019.

1. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

Nothing wrong with 6 volt systems if wiring is in good shape. I prefer the later model Mopars '55-'61 because they are more suited to today's traffic flow. However, if your going with a flathead I would suggest an OD transmission.

2. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Fech I have advised you not to buy the car. If you insist on buying it anyway have it inspected first by a mechanic, and check the engine compression and oil pressure. Those engines are very well behaved and continue to run with no bad bangs or knocks when in an advanced state of wear. This is not a defect, but cars typically had a life of about 80,000 miles back then before they were worn out or ready for a major overhaul.

If you buy it you will need the factory repair manual. They are not too hard to get, they show up on Ebay and at vintage car book dealers. The manual includes wiring diagrams.

Be sure to ask the seller about any leftover parts or unused parts, books, spare keys etc. You should get them included in the deal even if you have to pay a bit extra. Most sellers will included them in the deal, they are no use to him if he sells the car they go with.

Fluid Drive can use 10 motor oil, but mostly we use tractor hydraulic fluid, TDH type, ISO 22 or ISO 32 grade. This is a common item that can be bought at farm and automotive stores. It is not expensive.

As for the electrics of course, it is impossible for us to know what has been done to the car, or not done. If you have any specific questions we can try to answer them.

3. The OP sounds like he may be in a country other than the United States. Some parts aren't too hard to get for these but any sort of interior or exterior sheet metal stuff is very very hard to find. If you are in fact outside the US, you may want to look to a Ford or Chevy instead. I have a 52 Dodge. From your pictures, I see no ignition interruptor for the trans so that car must have the fluid drive manual instead of the Gyromatic semi-auto trans.

Andy Bernbaum has quite a bit of parts available for these cars. The rear brakes are a pain to work on. I ended up swapping my whole rear axle for a 98 Ford ranger axle. There's a few Dodge specific quirks, but they aren't too terribly hard to work on.

But you keep saying "easy" that means nothing to us if we don't know what your level of mechanical or automotive diagnostic ability is.

My 52 was hard for me to work on in the beginning because while I have worked on cars before, this was my first vintage car. I've had mine for 5 years and I really enjoy it. But the first 2 or 3 years were frustrating at times while I was working through lots of issues with it. Thankfully I didn't have much "previous owner mods" to deal with as mine was a very low mileage car that sat in a barn most its life

classiccarjack likes this.
  4. FECH

FECH

Thank you Guys for the help. I will keep posting if I get the car.

classiccarjack likes this.
  5. I have studs on my 49 coronet

6. I have a 49 coronet with the fluid drive and I keep breaking the bendix on the starters.. I'm interested in parts that u have if I may